Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

How to Become a Henchman, A Novel: The Henchman's Survival Guide

by J Bennett

214,165,359NoneNone
Recently added byMHThaung, Mister_Durman

I had a lot of fun reading this book, which takes an unconventional and appealing approach to the superhero/villain genre.

Main character Alice is sympathetic without being a pushover. We can see how her past has brought her to where she is today without bludgeoning the reader with tragic backstory. The other characters she encounters are well fleshed out, and they clearly have their own lives to lead rather than revolving around Alice's story. Some of the characters have only brief appearances, but I suspect they might pop up in later books. The plot flowed nicely without feeling too convenient or forced.

I enjoyed being immersed in the world. It's set in a future that we can imagine rather than being completely alien. I particularly liked seeing how language and customs might have evolved along with society and its conventions. What I enjoyed the most was feeling that although Alice's story is the one we're focussing on, there are plenty of other stories that might be told.

Even if you're not into the superhero genre, I think this is well worth a look.
  MHThaung | Nov 12, 2020 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,574,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible