The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)…

The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by John Twelve Hawks

Member:SandBook
Title:The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:John Twelve Hawks
Info:Vintage (2006), Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks

English (69)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (73)
Reading some of the other reviews, there was apparently a lot of hype when this book came out. I completely missed that. I picked it up on CD because looked interesting. It wasn't. Paranoid fantasy at it's worst. And, did I mention this, dull. I normally listen to book CDs on my drive home from work. I kept listening to this, waiting for something to happen. Then I just wanted it to be over, just to find out how the author was going to wind up the story. With 2-3 CDs to go I found out it was the first of a trilogy. I almost gave up on it then. I should have. The ending of the first book is totally unbelievable. The author would have you believe that the Tabula (the all-controlling bad guys) have a ventilation duct that leads outside of the 10-foot wall surrounding their super secret compound. The plans for which our heroes were able to find on the Internet. Two people, armed with a sword, a rifle and a shotgun, attack the heavily guarded compound through the duct work, rescue their companions, pretty much wreck the place and get away virtually unscathed. I won't be looking for books 2 and 3. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
The story is a 5, the execution of it bothered me sometimes with missing details. Overall, highly recommend reading as its like a mix of The Circle, 1984, and The Matrix made into an entertaining and thought provoking story. ( )
  azrowan | Jul 27, 2014 |
This is a fantastic book about two brothers Gabriel and Michael who get caught up in the fight between those who want to control society and those against it. Both brothers are travelers, people with the ability to travel to different dimensions and throughout the book people on both sides fight to promote their own point of view. Like all great thriller its a real page turner but what sets this one apart is the questions it asks about government and business interference in our daily lives. Really loved it. ( )
  Courtneylynn75 | Jul 22, 2014 |
Oh my God. The absolute longest book I've ever listened to. Just when you think it's over...it's not. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
This book is terrific. It makes you look at our world in a whole new way ( )
  butterflyfairy16 | Jul 26, 2013 |
Yet the book's leaden, repetitive ridiculousness soon becomes irksome, especially the incessant and self-serving insistence that any of us living ''on the grid'' — everyone except the author and his imaginary friends, basically — is a mindless sheep. Perhaps we should flock to a worthier book this summer.

Of course, this is all completely nuts--but it's also the stuff that first-rate high-tech paranoid-schizophrenic thrillers are made of.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jun 13, 2005)

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my pathfinders
Maya reached out and took her father's hand as they walked from the Underground to the light.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038551428X, Hardcover)

A world that exists in the shadows of our own.

A conflict we will never see.

One woman stands between those determined to control history and those who will risk their lives for freedom.

Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins—a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers.

Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father’s gifts, have always protected themselves by living “off the Grid”—that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in our modern society.

Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula—ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms—one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time.

Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own. John Twelve Hawks’s stunningly suspenseful debut is an international publishing sensation that marks the arrival of a major new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:45 -0400)

"Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins - a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers." "Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father's gifts, have always protected themselves by living "off the Grid" - that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in modern society." "Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula - ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms - one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time." "Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible