The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)…

The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by John Twelve Hawks

Member:SandBook
Title:The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:John Twelve Hawks
Info:Vintage (2006), Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks

English (72)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (76)
Easily the best (and first) of the Fourth Realm Trilogy. A great idea reasonably well told. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
Good book. Maya's father taught her how to fight for the Harlequins and protect Travelers, but she chose a normal life. That is until something terrible happens and she decides to find the Corrigan brothers and protect them. The Corrigan brothers are possible travelers, but they don't know it. Gabriel lives off the grid because that is what he was taught. Michael has begun to use his real name and pay taxes. He doesn't believe what his parents taught him about the vast machine. There is surveillance everywhere and the Brethern use it to track people. This is a good thriller full of fighting, surprises and twists. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 15, 2016 |
Another ridiculously good book that found me by pure chance. All the conspiracy theorists of the world, this book is definitely for you. As I count myself one of the men in the tinfoil hats, that book felt like home.

My mom-in-law gave it to my hubby to read and it was gathering dust in our car, until one day I went to work forgetting my own book (oh, horror!) and had to make do with this one.
I was so engrossed in it, I did not put it down until it was finished. Thanks, Mom! *grinning*

Brilliant conspiracy thriller with a neck-breaking pace. Somehow it had the style of Heroes despite a very different plot. I kept hearing this music in my mind, I swear!

Maya is a Harlequin, a secret warrior trained since her childhood by her father to live off the grid and to protect The Travellers at all costs.

Travellers are people who can astral travel in other dimensions and come back seeing the world as whole, preaching freedom from control and more harmonious society. This is why they are known as great spiritual leaders and get killed all the time by Tabula - a secret organisation striving for a total control over the world.

When Maya is 17 she has to kill a member of Tabula. At that time she is standing guard over one monk - a sort of teacher for travelers, and the murder is as much as in self-defence as to protect her guy.

Shaken, she breaks away from her dad and Harlequins and tries to live a normal life, getting education and starting working in one of London firms. All that changes few years later when her dad contacts her asks her to come and meet him in Prague.

What happens after that is one phenomenal race against time and almost total technological control of Tabula when Maya has to find the last two travellers on Earth hiding in US and save them before Tabula gets them first.

There are so many things in this book that make you stop and think how every new gadget, every new CCTV camera and every new "anti-terrorism law" tighten the noose around our necks. I find it really interesting as well, that the identity of the author himself is unknown.

John Twelve Hawks lives off the grid and talks to his publisher and editor through untraceable Internet connection and satellite phone with a scrambler. No one knows who he is and what he does, and I think it's so awesome!

Fantastic book, that makes you think and it's choke full of action as well. Really recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
This is one of my favorite books. It has a Phillip Dick feel to it with regards to technology, surveillance and privacy. The premise of the story involves a group of people know as travelers who travel across boundaries into parallel universes and when the return they become catalysts to change in society. The Vast Machine or the Brethren are opposed to these changes and are attempting to control society through technology and surveillance with the idea that if people believe they are being monitored they will do the right thing. The Vast Machine's goal is to exterminate the Travelers. Harlequins are the protectors of the Travelers. I don't want to say much more to avoid giving away the plot. ( )
  bibliophile_pgh | Aug 20, 2015 |
Reading some of the other reviews, there was apparently a lot of hype when this book came out. I completely missed that. I picked it up on CD because looked interesting. It wasn't. Paranoid fantasy at it's worst. And, did I mention this, dull. I normally listen to book CDs on my drive home from work. I kept listening to this, waiting for something to happen. Then I just wanted it to be over, just to find out how the author was going to wind up the story. With 2-3 CDs to go I found out it was the first of a trilogy. I almost gave up on it then. I should have. The ending of the first book is totally unbelievable. The author would have you believe that the Tabula (the all-controlling bad guys) have a ventilation duct that leads outside of the 10-foot wall surrounding their super secret compound. The plans for which our heroes were able to find on the Internet. Two people, armed with a sword, a rifle and a shotgun, attack the heavily guarded compound through the duct work, rescue their companions, pretty much wreck the place and get away virtually unscathed. I won't be looking for books 2 and 3. ( )
  capewood | Dec 8, 2014 |
Yet the book's leaden, repetitive ridiculousness soon becomes irksome, especially the incessant and self-serving insistence that any of us living ''on the grid'' — everyone except the author and his imaginary friends, basically — is a mindless sheep. Perhaps we should flock to a worthier book this summer.

Of course, this is all completely nuts--but it's also the stuff that first-rate high-tech paranoid-schizophrenic thrillers are made of.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jun 13, 2005)

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my pathfinders
Maya reached out and took her father's hand as they walked from the Underground to the light.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038551428X, Hardcover)

A world that exists in the shadows of our own.

A conflict we will never see.

One woman stands between those determined to control history and those who will risk their lives for freedom.

Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins—a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers.

Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father’s gifts, have always protected themselves by living “off the Grid”—that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in our modern society.

Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula—ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms—one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time.

Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own. John Twelve Hawks’s stunningly suspenseful debut is an international publishing sensation that marks the arrival of a major new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:58 -0400)

"Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins - a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers." "Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father's gifts, have always protected themselves by living "off the Grid" - that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in modern society." "Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula - ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms - one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time." "Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,836,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible