The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)…

The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1) (edition 2006)

by John Twelve Hawks

2,113None3,111 (3.62)44
Member:SandBook
Title:The Traveler (Fourth Realm Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:John Twelve Hawks
Info:Vintage (2006), Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks

2005 (10) adventure (11) audible (8) audio (11) big brother (10) brothers (9) conspiracy (42) dystopia (45) fantasy (113) fiction (257) first edition (8) Fourth Realm (15) mystery (14) novel (31) off the grid (12) own (13) privacy (11) read (47) science fiction (244) series (17) sf (22) sff (15) supernatural (9) surveillance (10) suspense (20) thriller (66) time travel (13) to-read (30) unread (21) urban fantasy (21)

English (67)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (71)
A world not to far from our own in which two groups are at war. One group is made up of people who can travel out of their bodies into other 'realms', which give them wisdom and insight into our world and who, upon their return, always change our world for the better. The other side is an organized group dedicated to bringing the world under complete domination so that things run exactly how they want it to.

A mix of the Matrix with an agnostic Frank Peretti. It was so weird how things from Revelations are mixed in with libertarian ideas alongside scifi things. ( )
  Bookstooge | Sep 26, 2013 |
Oh my God. The absolute longest book I've ever listened to. Just when you think it's over...it's not. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
This book is terrific. It makes you look at our world in a whole new way ( )
  butterflyfairy16 | Jul 26, 2013 |
Another Tomato recommendation. More dystopia. I really enjoyed the story and characters in this book. It's a great mix of fantasy, alternative reality and actual reality. The fact that this is actually "going down" was not really news to me, but it's interesting to see the exposure that "big data" is getting in the news recently. The length of time that it took me to read this book does NOT indicate anything other than extreme business, and lack of time to read. This book was tough to put down, and once I took the time, I found myself reading 100 pages in a one sitting. (beware). Book two finally came in to the library, and I'm looking forward to finishing this trilogy.

After reading this book, there is an online game. Pretty techie-geeky, so it was interesting for me.
http://www.randomhouse.com/features/traveler/ ( )
  bilbo13 | Jul 1, 2013 |
I've played this game, it's called Assassin's Creed.

Okay, I think this novel came out before Assassin's Creed, and there are some obvious differences, not to mention plenty of other examples in all sorts of media that did this story already, but it was really all I could think while reading the opening chapters. I did a little more research and decided not to continue reading this, since I wasn't that impressed with it. It's a library copy and someone else reserved it, so I'll return it ASAP so it can find a more appreciative audience.

(I do appreciate the worries about our surveillance culture. If you haven't thought about that sort of thing, you might find it eye-opening... On the other hand, you might just read 1984: it's less technologically up to date, perhaps, but it's the same message on that front.)

P.S. Good going with the stereotyping about Romani in the very first chapter! I've sure never heard that about "Gypsies" being thieves before.

Being of Welsh and Romani descent, I sometimes think that if there's a word of truth in stereotypes, I was born to be a thief... ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 13, 2013 |
Yet the book's leaden, repetitive ridiculousness soon becomes irksome, especially the incessant and self-serving insistence that any of us living ''on the grid'' — everyone except the author and his imaginary friends, basically — is a mindless sheep. Perhaps we should flock to a worthier book this summer.

Of course, this is all completely nuts--but it's also the stuff that first-rate high-tech paranoid-schizophrenic thrillers are made of.
added by Shortride | editTime, Lev Grossman (Jun 13, 2005)

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my pathfinders
Maya reached out and took her father's hand as they walked from the Underground to the light.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 038551428X, Hardcover)

A world that exists in the shadows of our own.

A conflict we will never see.

One woman stands between those determined to control history and those who will risk their lives for freedom.

Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins—a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers.

Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father’s gifts, have always protected themselves by living “off the Grid”—that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in our modern society.

Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula—ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms—one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time.

Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own. John Twelve Hawks’s stunningly suspenseful debut is an international publishing sensation that marks the arrival of a major new talent.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:45 -0400)

"Maya is hiding in plain sight in London. The twenty-six-year-old has abandoned the dangerous obligations pressed upon her by her father, and chosen instead to live a normal life. But Maya comes from a long line of people who call themselves Harlequins - a fierce group of warriors willing to sacrifice their lives to protect a select few known as Travelers." "Gabriel and Michael Corrigan are brothers living in Los Angeles. Since childhood, the young men have been shaped by stories that their late father was a Traveler, one of a small band of prophets who have vastly influenced the course of history. Travelers are able to attain pure enlightenment, and have for centuries ushered change into the world. Gabriel and Michael, who may have inherited their father's gifts, have always protected themselves by living "off the Grid" - that is, invisible to the real-life surveillance networks that monitor people in modern society." "Summoned by her ailing father, Maya is told of the existence of the brothers. The Corrigans are in severe danger, stalked by powerful men known as the Tabula - ruthless mercenaries who have hunted Travelers for generations. This group is determined to inflict order on the world by controlling it, and they view Travelers as an intolerable threat. As Maya races to California to protect the brothers, she is reluctantly pulled back into the cold and solitary Harlequin existence. A colossal battle looms - one that will reveal not only the identities of Gabriel and Michael Corrigan but also a secret history of our time." "Moving from the back alleys of Prague to the heart of Los Angeles, from the high deserts of Arizona to a guarded research facility in New York, The Traveler explores a parallel world that exists alongside our own."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible