Mary Modern by Camille DeAngelis

Mary Modern

by Camille DeAngelis

233None51,284 (3.25)10

This book caught my eye while I was browsing my local library. It seemed to contain some interesting concepts and the plot sounded intriguing, so I checked it out.

Probably one of the best things about this novel is the author's voice. She has an incredible way with words. She's very descriptive, but never boring. In fact, I'd almost call it lyrical.

The novel follows the story of a woman named Lucy. She works at a university doing stem cell research. She falls in love with a professor of Latin and decides she wants a kid. She finds out she can't have one. So she clones her grandmother.

Whew, gotta love a quick summary. I won't say any more than that. That's pretty much what the cover of the book says too. I thought it had a lot of promise. There's a lot of potential in a plot containing a woman who is cloned by her granddaughter and suddenly living in the 21st century, so far away from the Roaring 20s.

The author's description of the whole cloning process was very interesting. I don't know how scientifically sound it is, but I still enjoyed it. I also liked the product: the cloned Mary was a very exciting person. She had a lot of fire to her personality, but she also had a lot of that class and grace from previous generations. The portions of the novel that contained her I also enjoyed to read.

Lucy, the granddaughter/mother, wasn't so interesting. In fact, I found her boring and sarcastic. I feel that the author used the character of Lucy to vent her every political and ethical view from a soap box. Sometimes it was annoying. I know that considering the subject matter of the novel the author must say something about how she feels, I just could have done without he sarcasm. No to mention, her relationship with the boyfriend? Unbelievably cold. I don't think the couple ever even smiled at each other after he first date. It was painful to read.

I felt as though the Seventh Order of Agatha and the made up book by made up author P.F.X. Godfry were wasted space. The boys from the Seventh Order offered some comic relief, but I think they were just too much for how much they participated in the climax. And the made up book and author? Just another way to get on a soapbox.

The end had two awesome plot twists. One I expected, the other took me by surprise. I seriously think I even said "What?!" out loud. I loved the ending, the beginning too. It's a shame that portions of the bulk of the story felt like a drag. This author has great potential! Great voice, interesting ideas, and the ability to create believable characters (sometimes). ( )
  seh023 | Dec 15, 2013 |
Just aweful! Don't read it. ( )
  dpelaez | Oct 27, 2013 |
This was an interesting look at cloning, but it also had themes that delved into family and loss.
I loved the way the author portrayed Mary and her acclimation to the modern world. There were twists to the plot that I found really interesting.
I really liked that it explored the humanity of the characters. Each character was flawed and a variety of relationships were explored. Lucy and Gray had to deal with their problems and the baby that was not meant to be. Mary had to come to terms with her granddaughter and her feelings of being cloned.
As Mary explores the new world, new relationships form and a new set of complications occur for all the characters.
In the end, I did enjoy the story and it left me with more to think about. ( )
  taramatchi | Oct 5, 2010 |
I almost put this book down after the first few chapters because I wasn't enjoying it as much as I thought I would. Once Mary is "born" the book became much more interesting. I loved that the house had secret passages and all the old things that were left behind by the ancestors. I actually did not predict some of the twists that were revealed near the end of the book, though others who read this before me said it was predicable. I did not care for the political bits and all the discussion in the beginning about the science of cloning, but this was otherwise a pretty good book that I couldn't put down once it finally caught my interest. ( )
  ladybug74 | May 16, 2010 |
Lucy Morrigan, just like her deceased father, is a genetic researcher specializing in cloning. When Lucy and her boyfriend Gray have difficulty conceiving the baby Lucy so desperately wants, things take a bizarre turn. This is a good book with an intriguing storyline and would have been a great book with another 100 pages at least. ( )
  CatieN | Dec 12, 2009 |

Camille DeAngelisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamia, JennaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lawler, Mara DemayNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my grandparents: Kathleen and Michael DeAngelis, Ted Colangelo, and especially for my grandmother Dorothy.
The house has no name, though it is quite grand enough to warrant one.

Lucy Morrigan, a young genetic researcher, lives with her boyfriend, Gray, and an odd collection of tenants in her crumbling family mansion. Surrounded by four generations of clothes, photographs, furniture, and other remnants of past lives, Lucy and Gray’s home life is strangely out of touch with the modern world—except for Lucy’s high-tech lab in the basement.

Frustrated by her unsuccessful attempts to attain motherhood or tenure, Lucy takes drastic measures to achieve both. Using a bloodstained scrap of an apron found in the attic, Lucy successfully clones her grandmother Mary. But rather than conjuring a new baby, Lucy brings to life a twenty-two-year-old Mary, who is confused and disoriented when she finds herself trapped in the strangest sort of déjà vu: alive in a home that is no longer her own, surrounded by reminders of a life she has already lived but doesn’t remember.

A remarkable debut novel, Mary Modern turns an unflinching eye on the joyous, heartbreaking, and utterly unexpected consequences of human desire.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:12 -0400)

After learning that she is infertile, genetic researcher Lucy Morrigan successfully clones her grandmother from a blood stain on an old apron, but instead of a baby, she brings to life a twenty-two-year-old woman confused by the modern world.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible