Someone Knows My Name: A Novel by Lawrence…

Someone Knows My Name: A Novel (2007)

by Lawrence Hill

A Mercy by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: The book has a similar familial tone and is also told from the point of view of young girls growing up in a difficult situation. I had been looking for a book with a similar writing style and was happy to find this one. If you liked The Book of Negroes I recommend The Poisonwood Bible and vice versa.… (more)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (LDVoorberg)
    Epic Journeys of Freedom: Runaway Slaves of the American Revolution and Their Global Quest for Liberty by Cassandra Pybus (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Pybus offers a brilliant nonfiction account of the events in Hill's novel, as well as extending the story to penal colonies in Australia.
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (_Lana_)
    _Lana_: If you enjoyed reading about slavery in a historical setting you might be interested in a true-tale of slavery’s modern form. Both books also have strong female protagonists.
    The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African by Olaudah Equiano (tangentialine)
    The Classic Slave Narratives by Henry Louis Jr Gates (Cecilturtle)
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (vancouverdeb)

English (131)  Dutch (6)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (139)
A pretty good easy and fast read. As yet more misfortune befell our heroine though, I started to feel impatient, feeling manipulated by the author.
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
Finally got around to this fine novel that had been gathering dust on my shelves since 2nd-hand acquisition in 2009, and what a pleasant read it was. First I had acquired the American edition; I will never understand why that country thinks it has the right to not only change every spelling to 'Merican but the title?? It's a sickness. I had thought there must be two books by the youngish author. The reason for reading it now was that Hill's new book was on my list and that I am also having to move, and want to get through some fat books so I can leave them behind ... also, Hill just won Canada Reads with his new book, making him the first two-time winner. I chose for some reason to read it concurrently, back and forth, with Joseph Boyden's The Orenda. These two books are remarkably similar in many points, and I have to think Hill's book had a strong influence: strong and smart young female protagonist amid strangers; plenty of violence; magic or herbal skills; duplicity of white man; historical; plunder; fiction depending strongly on historical research; etc.

This is a very powerful novel with a big heart. It's one that tells the apparent truth about sad parts of our the history of black people in both the US and Canada, about both the English and the newly forming Thirteen Colonies/American people. At no point but at the end did I feel it was a bit cute or convenient (unlike The Orenda, which has some moments i feel were designed for a movie deal, for special effects--and that's the last time I'll mention that book). Perhaps Aminata (Meena, for short) seemed to learn languages with a bit too much facility, but overall the book allowed things to happen organically and in a believable fashion. It's a huge canvas sampling many different situations and eras, and Hill paints it with a painter's vocaublary and writing skill. Highly recommended, if anyone is even more lackadaiscal as I was at getting around to it. Ignore the American edition and get the actual thing. ( )
  Muzzorola | Apr 19, 2016 |
What the hell? Did this book receive so many 5 star ratings mostly because it is the story of slavery? Perhaps because I have read quite a lot of books about that time span I see the ridiculousness of what happens to the main character what others did not see?

I really enjoyed reading the first part f the book, the part where she was in Africa and even the part on the ship because it is so horrifying.

I have read 55% of this book but I can say I have read books like this one, only better ones that were more based on reality. As other reviewers said, first of all it is not very original to have the slave in this story be a midwife (we also have a lovely mammy who is like a mother to the main character) Not just that but of course this slave girl can read and is allowed so many things and is constantly so lucky it became ridiculous. When I realized that I did not care at all what would happen to her,I knew I had to quit. There are better books out there. I do see that this author can write and I was really hopeful reading this in the beginning. Would try another book of this author though. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
An excellent story, though long. A friend told me they had listened to the audio version of this book on CBC's Between the Covers, and I have now downloaded the audio version to my iPod. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  junepearl | Mar 4, 2016 |
Aminata Diallo will stay in my heart for a very long time! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
With mature themes (e.g., a rape scene on the ship, descriptive killings, and sexual situations), this book is suited for older teens. Hill clearly researched multiple and sources to provide an accurate acount of Aminata's heroic journey and brings to life crucial world history. Teens who enjoyed Sharon Draper's Copper Sun will appreciate this page-turning novel.
added by Christa_Josh | editSchool Library Journal, Gregory Lum (Mar 1, 2008)

An unforgettable epic, seen through the eyes of a sharply realized, indomitable heroine.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Sarah Johnson (Oct 15, 2007)

Unfortunately, [Hill's] didactic purpose gets the upper hand and overwhelms the story. Aminata is simply too noble to be believable, and other major characters are mainly symbolic. Nevertheless, Hill's fascinating source material makes this a good choice for book clubs and discussion groups.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Edward St. John (Oct 1, 2007)

In depicting a woman who survives history's most trying conditions through force of intelligence and personality, Hill's book is a harrowing, breathtaking tour de force.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 3, 2007)

Livet som slave: Velbalansert historisk fiksjon om slavehandelen og ondskapens banalitet
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jun 29, 2006)

Lawrence Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willems, IneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse. Therefore choose life.

--Deuteronomy 30:19
So geographers, in Afric-maps,

With savage-pictures fill their gaps;
And o'er unhabitable downs
Place elephants for want of towns.
--Jonathan Swift
For my daughter, and kindred spirit, Genevieve Aminata
I seem to have trouble dying.
The Book of Negroes (2007) was published as Someone Knows My Name in the U.S.A, Australia, and New Zealand.

Publisher Comments:
Abducted from Africa as a child and enslaved in South Carolina, Aminata Diallo thinks only of freedom—and of the knowledge she needs to get home. Sold to an indigo trader who recognizes her intelligence, Aminata is torn from her husband and child and thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War. In Manhattan, Aminata helps pen the Book of Negroes, a list of blacks rewarded for service to the king with safe passage to Nova Scotia. There Aminata finds a life of hardship and stinging prejudice. When the British abolitionists come looking for "adventurers" to create a new colony in Sierra Leone, Aminata assists in moving 1,200 Nova Scotians to Africa and aiding the abolitionist cause by revealing the realities of slavery to the British public. This captivating story of one woman's remarkable experience spans six decades and three continents and brings to life a crucial chapter in world history.

Dreaming of escaping her life of slavery in South Carolina and returning to her African home, slave Aminata Diallo is thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War, during which she helps create a list of black people who have been honored for their service to the king.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393065782, 0393333094

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible