The Book Of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

The Book Of Negroes (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Lawrence Hill

Member:monnibo
Title:The Book Of Negroes
Authors:Lawrence Hill
Info:HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:canada reads, writer's trust prize

Someone Knows My Name by Lawrence Hill (2007)

A mercy by Toni Morrison (tangentialine)
    The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Bcteagirl)
    Bcteagirl: The book has a similar familial tone and is also told from the point of view of young girls growing up in a difficult situation. I had been looking for a book with a similar writing style and was happy to find this one. If you liked The Book of Negroes I recommend The Poisonwood Bible and vice versa.… (more)
    A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry (LDVoorberg)
    Epic Journeys of Freedom: Runaway Slaves of the American Revolution and Their Global Quest for Liberty by Cassandra Pybus (susanbooks)
    susanbooks: Pybus offers a brilliant nonfiction account of the events in Hill's novel, as well as extending the story to penal colonies in Australia.
    Slave: My True Story by Mende Nazer (_Lana_)
    _Lana_: If you enjoyed reading about slavery in a historical setting you might be interested in a true-tale of slavery’s modern form. Both books also have strong female protagonists.
    The Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa the African by Olaudah Equiano (tangentialine)
    The Classic Slave Narratives by Henry Louis Jr Gates (Cecilturtle)
    The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (vancouverdeb)

English (118)  Dutch (6)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (126)
For a big book, I was amazed how quickly I whizzed through this. Compulsively readable, it follows one woman from her early childhood in Africa, her capture by slavers, transportation to America, and long struggle to get back to her homeland. As someone who likes to learn things by reading fiction, I appreciated the broad range of its subject matter - covering the way the slave market was established and facilitated, attempts to set up a colony in Canada, the duplicitous British, and the politics of the abolition of slavery in Britain. There is an elegant simplicity about the whole thing: a very good read. ( )
  jayne_charles | Jul 6, 2015 |
Excellent story. I loved following the story of Aminata who is captured into slavery as a child and perserveres to adulthood to eventually become an advocate in the fight against slavery. Her resilience and ability to become valuable in every situation she is put into was courageous. Incredible writing on a very difficult topic that made me emphasize and shudder at the horrors that people had to endure. Wonderful read. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Jun 9, 2015 |
It's hard to know where to start with the book. It was intense, graphic, horrifying at times. But it was also such a powerful story, it was hard to put down.

The writing was superb, the author create Aminata's voice wonderfully. Her character felt very real and I couldn't help but fall into the book and become lost in it. While the alternating time jumps took a while getting used to, it did help break up the story, especially considering some of the scenes in the book. Which was my least favourite part of it. There's no way the book would be the book it is without everything that's in it, but there are some horrifying moments in the book.

Words are hard to come by to fully explain the book, it's one of those books you need to read and experience for yourself. The writing was lovely, the characters stick with you, the story is one t hat should be read by all. What an incredible read.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - The Book of Negroes ( )
  bookwormjules | May 16, 2015 |
A true epic, The Book of Negroes chronicles the life of an African girl sold into slavery in the 1700s and the heartbreaking events which took her across a number of continents over the decades.

This was very much a plot driven book, which took me a good 100 pages or so to get properly into. The first person narrative felt limiting in places - I didn't often get to connect with the true emotions of the protagonist, and at the beginning it felt quite like an averagely written chronicling of events. The plot saved it for me, though, and the harrowing story of both her slavery and difficult conditions under freedom kept it gripping.

This book was initially sold under Someone Knows my Name in other countries, as the publishers felt The Book of Negroes was too contentious a title in some regions. However, this refers to a real historical document which detailed the coloured people, both free and indentured, who sailed in desperation from New York - where they feared they would be recaptured into slavery - to become part of the first settlers of the then British colony of Nova Scotia.

A powerful and heartbreaking story of a desperate period in history, this was an enjoyable book but not my favourite style of writing. ( )
1 vote AlisonY | May 6, 2015 |
LH tells a good story. #1 National Bestseller. ( )
  trudychar | Mar 20, 2015 |
With mature themes (e.g., a rape scene on the ship, descriptive killings, and sexual situations), this book is suited for older teens. Hill clearly researched multiple and sources to provide an accurate acount of Aminata's heroic journey and brings to life crucial world history. Teens who enjoyed Sharon Draper's Copper Sun will appreciate this page-turning novel.
added by Christa_Josh | editSchool Library Journal, Gregory Lum (Mar 1, 2008)

An unforgettable epic, seen through the eyes of a sharply realized, indomitable heroine.
added by Christa_Josh | editBooklist, Sarah Johnson (Oct 15, 2007)

Unfortunately, [Hill's] didactic purpose gets the upper hand and overwhelms the story. Aminata is simply too noble to be believable, and other major characters are mainly symbolic. Nevertheless, Hill's fascinating source material makes this a good choice for book clubs and discussion groups.
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Edward St. John (Oct 1, 2007)

In depicting a woman who survives history's most trying conditions through force of intelligence and personality, Hill's book is a harrowing, breathtaking tour de force.
added by Christa_Josh | editPublishers Weekly (Sep 3, 2007)

Livet som slave: Velbalansert historisk fiksjon om slavehandelen og ondskapens banalitet
added by annek49 | editDagbladet, Cathrine Krøger (Jun 29, 2006)

Lawrence Hillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Willems, IneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse. Therefore choose life.

--Deuteronomy 30:19
So geographers, in Afric-maps,

With savage-pictures fill their gaps;
And o'er unhabitable downs
Place elephants for want of towns.
--Jonathan Swift
For my daughter, and kindred spirit, Genevieve Aminata
I seem to have trouble dying.
The Book of Negroes (2007), published as Someone Knows My Name in the U.S.A, Australia, and New Zealand.

Publisher Comments:
Abducted from Africa as a child and enslaved in South Carolina, Aminata Diallo thinks only of freedom—and of the knowledge she needs to get home. Sold to an indigo trader who recognizes her intelligence, Aminata is torn from her husband and child and thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War. In Manhattan, Aminata helps pen the Book of Negroes, a list of blacks rewarded for service to the king with safe passage to Nova Scotia. There Aminata finds a life of hardship and stinging prejudice. When the British abolitionists come looking for "adventurers" to create a new colony in Sierra Leone, Aminata assists in moving 1,200 Nova Scotians to Africa and aiding the abolitionist cause by revealing the realities of slavery to the British public. This captivating story of one woman's remarkable experience spans six decades and three continents and brings to life a crucial chapter in world history.

Dreaming of escaping her life of slavery in South Carolina and returning to her African home, slave Aminata Diallo is thrown into the chaos of the Revolutionary War, during which she helps create a list of black people who have been honored for their service to the king.… (more)

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393065782, 0393333094

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,517,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible