Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Secrets of The Sphinx by the dread pirate…
Hauling away...

Secrets of The Sphinx

by the dread pirate James Cross Giblin

Other scoundrels: Bagram Ibatoulline (Drew th' pictyoors)

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysJaw flappin'
9312129,846 (3.79)Nought
Nought

Nought.

Hauling away...

Audience- 5-8th grade
Secrets of the Sphinx is a wonderful book about the Egyptian Sphinx, civilization and how it was built. It is very informative with excellent illustrations and will be very useful to middle-schoolers while studying ancient civilizations. I will keep this book as a resource for student projects and also while teaching in class. ( )
  ShantiR | Apr 8, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Mar 27, 2013 |
The author clearly shows great reverence for the sphinx as an important monument that needs to be preserved. His standpoint is biased in favor of Egyptian government officials who are against digging or probing around the monument to discover supposed “hidden chambers”, and the author attempts with his research to debunk any legendary connections between the sphinx and the lost city of Atlantis. I understand that the author wants to be factual and logical, and not promote further speculation. To be honest, though, I would be more interested to read legends about the sphinx (whether true or not) then details about current efforts to restore and preserve the stonework. I was also hoping for more theories about why the sphinx was built and its role in Egyptian religious life. This book focuses more on the day to day life of the workers who built the sphinx, how it was constructed, and forces that have eroded it over the years. This book would be very useful for a research paper about the sphinx, probably for the middle school aged student. The text is too formal in style for students below fifth grade, in my opinion. Personally, I would be more interested in exploring some of the other texts that the author cites in his “Source Notes and Bibliography”, which deal more with the legends behind the sphinx. I appreciate the fact that he clearly cites all his sources with notes about each one, because that helps the reader to determine which sources to explore for further research. I also did enjoy the author’s fanciful recounting of the legend behind the sphinx in the classic Greek drama Oedipus, the King, and how this sphinx differs greatly in character from the Egyptian sphinx. It helps readers to understand how the Great Sphinx has inspired literature and drama throughout time.
  Collene_Kuznicki | Feb 25, 2013 |
A well done non fiction book exposing students to some of the wonderful wonders of the world. Beautiful illustrations.
  ymelodie | Oct 28, 2012 |
In this Orbis Pictus award-winning book, there is a wealth information presented about ancient Egypt's culture and history, hieroglyphics, and religion, as well as things like the Rosetta Stone, the lost city of Atlantis, and explanations of how the Sphinx was built and who actually built it. The beautiful illustration and design of the book is remarkable, especially paintings of the desert, the exquisite details of hieroglyphics, and historical portraits of prominent Egyptian figures.
  jentaz | Jun 10, 2012 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Scribbler's nameRoleType 'o authorWork?How farrr the crew's sailed
James Cross Giblinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ibatoulline, BagramDrew th' pictyoorssecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

Discusses some of Egypt's most famous artifacts and monuments, including the pyramids, the Rosetta Stone, and, especially, the Great Sphinx, presenting research and speculation about their origins and their future.

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.79)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,280 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible