The Last Colony by John Scalzi

The Last Colony

by John Scalzi

Series: Old Man's War (3)

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (96)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (99)
With the third book in the Old Man's War saga John Scalzi finally unveils the dark forces running underneath the Colonial Union as the powerful hints from previous installments come to the light: the older people being enlisted, and given young bodies so they can fight on behalf of the C.U., are plunged into their new life without the slightest idea of what awaits them; the soldiers "created" from the DNA of enlisted but deceased citizens are employed in the Ghost Brigades, where their empty consciousness is conditioned to tight "esprit de corps" that keeps them removed from the rest of humanity.

Here, in The Lost Colony, the C.U.'s misinformation and guilty silences come to the fore in a ruthless political and strategic play that blithely disregards the individuals' safety and rights, using and discarding them like so many pawns.

Once again John Scalzi, under the guise of a light, fresh and engaging narrative, manages to touch on many deep subjects, like freedom of choice, the power of information (or the power exercised by withholding it) and the meaning of being human. And once again I've been pleasantly surprised by this writer's ability to deal with these issues in a deceptively simple and unassuming way: he entertains his readers first, then he sets them to thinking.

If I were to find any fault with this book, it would be in its brevity: I could not shake the definite feeling that it was somehow... abridged, for want of a better word, and that much more could have been shown about this vision of the future. Maybe the next one in line, that promises to revisit these events through the eyes of young Zoe – the protagonists' adopted daughter – will fill in those blank spaces.

I'm certain I will have fun finding out if that's true.
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
John and Jane are back in the third installment of Old Man's War. I really enjoyed the fast paced action and how they solved the problems facing them. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
I am looking forward to reading Zoe's Tale next! Each of the stories in this series is so different from the next. [a:John Scalzi|4763|John Scalzi|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1236228326p2/4763.jpg] is a really versatile writer and the characters he presents have remarkably different perspectives and voices. The sense of humour changes from story to story as well. Quite honestly the most impressive display of difference I have seen from story to story in an series work in a long time. Love it.

Next up:
[bc:Zoe's Tale|2102600|Zoe's Tale (Old Man's War, #4)|John Scalzi|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266544086s/2102600.jpg|2107964]

I have [bc:Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded|3852882|Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded|John Scalzi|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255992864s/3852882.jpg|3897912] waiting to be read as well. :) ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
Finally! After missing out on John Perry in The Ghost Brigades, he and his sense of humor are back for the third installment in the Old Man's War series.

John Perry and Jane Sagan has settle down to the simple life with their adopted daughter on the distant planet Huckleberry. As Ombudsman for their settlement, John handles local disputes and the general administration of the village while Jane serves as the local law enforcement. Their peace and quiet is shattered when their past reaches out to haunt them - the Colonial Union was to create a new colony and install John as its leader. Things start going wrong almost immediately and Perry quickly realizes he and the new colony are the pawns of an interstellar game of politics. Perry and Sagan have only a short time to unravel all the lies and deceptions in order to save both the colony and the human race.

I have mixed feelings about this book. I'm very happy to be back with John and Jane. The humor that was missing in book two is back and I love both of these characters so it was great spending time with them again. The plot offers an interesting convergence of the story lines of the two previous books and it was also interesting to read about how colonizing works in this universe.

My biggest complaint is the lack of descriptions. There are all sorts of alien species and we are given very little to go on for how they look. Scalzi also takes some short cuts in the storytelling to save time, literally. There's a part where the book jumps several months and after the jump we're basically given bullet points of what happened during those months to catch us up. Those complaints aside, it's still an enjoyable, lite sci-fi read.

And here ends my time in the Old Man's War universe. I am mildly curious about Zoe's story which hopefully fills in the gap on how she talked General Gau into cooperating with John's plan but not enough that I feel the desire to pick up the book. ( )
  Narilka | Aug 18, 2018 |
Space opera focused on inter-species political and military intrigue. Part of a series but can be read as well as standalone. One theme is competitive colonization of planets and how balanced should be obtained - via natural war-like dynamics or by a confederation with rules. The characters, two retired military and genetically engineered humans John and Jane, are recruited to lead a new colony which would be against the rules set by an alliance of alien races. They embark on the adventure together with their adoptive daughter which is seen as a religious idol by an alien race. The characters are used as bait and abandoned by the Colonial Union, which makes them come up with a solution to the Colonial Union versus alien conflict. With the help of the Obin race and an alien leader they manage to avoid a disaster for the human race, while at the same time changing the existing dynamic in the human race. The characters are consistent with previous book and do not evolve much, but they fit the action. More action oriented than philosophical still has some nice reflections spread in the book. ( )
  vladmihaisima | Jul 18, 2018 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076535618X, Mass Market Paperback)

Retired from his fighting days, John Perry is now village ombudsman for a human colony on distant Huckleberry. With his wife, former Special Forces warrior Jane Sagan, he farms several acres, adjudicates local disputes, and enjoys watching his adopted daughter grow up.

That is, until his and Jane's past reaches out to bring them back into the game — as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds, for a deep political purpose that will put Perry and Sagan back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,427,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible