The Last Colony by Scalzi John

The Last Colony (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Scalzi John

Title:The Last Colony
Authors:Scalzi John
Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library, Audio books

The Last Colony by John Scalzi (2007)

Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (77)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (80)
Not my cup of tea... it wasn't a space-sci-fi and there was not much military action - just a lot of political and social stuff going on. It is as well written as the others of Scalzi's books, it's just not in the same vein and, thus, was pretty ho-hum to me. I didn't really care about any of the goings-on, and kinda wanted some adventure, or plot that didn't revolve around [oh how bad is THE MAN who tricks us]...

I need stuff to blow up, or aliens to get shot, or some dark and gory stuff to happen. This is just too tame for me. Oh, and I'm a bit tired of the snarky "I'm so perfect because I survived the events of book one" main character. ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 19, 2015 |
One thing about Scalzi's work is how accessible it is. He writes so simple and that's not a knock on his writing skills. John Scalzi is an incredible writer. Just instead of using a lot of words you have to look up, and long drawn out sentences, his writing is simple and straight forward. It makes for super fast reads that are easy to follow and somehow really good.

The one thing I liked more about The Last Colony than I did about the previous books in the series is the ending. Scalzi has a penchant for super duper happy fuzzy everything is fantastic endings, while a lot of people surely do enjoy those types of endings, they're not my favorite. This book was a happy ending of sorts but not as fuzzy and happy as the others. I liked it a lot more and like every other Scalzi book I highly recommend this read.

Don't just read one Scalzi book, read them all. He's that damn good. ( )
  scifi_jon | Jun 16, 2015 |
After the undeniable SF pedigree of the earlier two novels in the series, this entry felt entirely too devoted to politics and diplomacy, although still enjoyably so. The smirky protagonist (found in all of Scalzi’s books, as far as I know) brings a dry humor to the narrative. In this series, the character is named John Perry, and along with his wife and fellow former soldier, Jane Sagan, find a way to avert disaster for underdog humanity in a hostile universe. The pair are bit too idealized, however, and would be more interesting with some character flaws or blind spots. Another missed opportunity I noted was that while the novel is full of plenty of alien species and characters, there are practically no descriptions of their appearance, physiologies, or philosophies. They could all very conceivably stand-in for humans in all their nationalities and factions, operating from some non-SF setting. The cookie-cutter approach reminds me of the TV aliens in Star Trek, ironically something Scalzi quite successfully lampooned in 2012’s “Redshirts”. For this level of multi-layered strategic diplomacy, one could just as easily have picked up a thriller from the current NYT bestseller list in the Fiction aisle, but as a SF fan, I would have liked to see something more exotic from the characters, settings, motives, etc. A final criticism is one I’ve spotted in other Scalzi books: An overuse of the verb “said” in dialog. After a string of several, my ear was straining for some variety. Where the novel succeeds, however, is in the moderate humor and clever solutions to the tough spots the characters find themselves in. There are some very satisfying ‘back from the brink’ moments here, and on the strength of the earlier novels in the series, I’m willing to continuing reading the series after this bridge book. ( )
  SciFi-Kindle | Mar 16, 2015 |
I love Scalzi's Old Man's War series. John Perry and Jane Sagan are two very accessible and fun characters that I would love to meet again. ( )
  JoshuaAtkins | Jan 26, 2015 |
Last book of predictable series. Get from Library ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076535618X, Mass Market Paperback)

Retired from his fighting days, John Perry is now village ombudsman for a human colony on distant Huckleberry. With his wife, former Special Forces warrior Jane Sagan, he farms several acres, adjudicates local disputes, and enjoys watching his adopted daughter grow up.

That is, until his and Jane's past reaches out to bring them back into the game — as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds, for a deep political purpose that will put Perry and Sagan back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,791,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible