The Last Colony by Scalzi John

The Last Colony (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Scalzi John

1,920None3,553 (3.85)107
Member:jayacarl
Title:The Last Colony
Authors:Scalzi John
Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library, Audio books

The Last Colony by John Scalzi (2007)

2007 (9) 2008 (11) aliens (31) colonization (19) ebook (19) fiction (152) hardcover (11) john scalzi (10) Kindle (13) library (11) military (48) military sf (32) novel (20) Old Man's War (46) own (9) paperback (12) read (39) read in 2009 (11) Scalzi (11) science fiction (464) series (27) sf (114) sff (22) signed (27) space (13) space opera (32) speculative fiction (12) to-read (27) unread (18) war (30)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (71)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (74)
The Last Colony, the third book in John Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR series, returns us to the perspective of John Perry, the “old man” hero of the first novel in the series, Old Man’s War. John Perry is only mentioned in the second novel, The Ghost Brigades, which told the story of how the cyborg Special Forces soldiers found and defeated the scientist Charles Boutin, a traitor to the Colonial Union. On that mission they also found Zoe, Boutin’s young daughter. Zoe has been adopted by Jane Sagan and John Perry and the little family has been farming on one of Earth’s colonies where John and Jane are the leaders.

Life is easy for them until the Colonial Union comes calling — they need leaders for a new colonization effort and John and Jane have been selected. This new colony (named Roanoke…. hmmmm… I think I wouldn’t have signed up for that) will be comprised of people from several different human worlds and John and Jane are responsible for its success. However, the Colonial Union hasn’t been completely honest with them. It will be a lot more dangerous than the members of Roanoke have been led to believe. They are being played as political pawns and they don’t realize it until it’s too late. And it’s not just Roanoke that’s in danger, but the entire human race... Read More:
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Man, I was pretty sure I knew where this was going, but it is just so satisfying to watch it get there. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 27, 2014 |
John Scalzi hasn't failed me yet. All three books in this series so far have been gripping, stirring, exciting adventure stories with a thrilling edge of darkness. Even though he does not paint his alien characters in shades of black and white, he also does not flinch from demonstrating that some species of aliens are extremely dangerous, brutal, and willing to stop at nothing to murder and mutilate humanity. My only criticism is that an early plot-line dealing with a native threat on the colonized planet was completely dropped when the greater outside threat presented itself, and it retrospect it seems like a thread that should have been resolved or otherwise dealt with. As I understand it, his upcoming book, "Zoe's Tale", deals with the same time period but tells it from a different perspective, so that should be interesting. I look forward to reading that, and I'll definitely continue picking up everything he writes. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
I really enjoyed the series of which this is the last book. Starts with Old Man's War, then The Ghost Brigades, and finally The Last Colony. Good story, good characterization and relationships, just enough moral and political intrigue without overwhelming the rhythm of the plot. ( )
  Kali.Lightfoot | Jan 10, 2014 |
Storywise, I really liked this book. The Old Man's War universe is, to me, a really interesting premise, and this is a good, fun addition. It's sort of an outer space version of the Battle of Thermopylae, with a small band of colonists--in particular, the colony's two leaders--on their own against a hostile universe that wants to destroy them. It's funny, fast-paced, and action-packed.

I do have some quibbles, though. There's a lot of quick banter throughout, and while a lot of it is funny, some of it feels a little forced. And I will never understand writing a novel like this from a first person perspective. Your protagonist is in constant danger...and yet we know he lives to tell the tale, because he's telling it. It just drains some of the drama. ( )
  jonwwil | Jan 1, 2014 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076535618X, Mass Market Paperback)

Retired from his fighting days, John Perry is now village ombudsman for a human colony on distant Huckleberry. With his wife, former Special Forces warrior Jane Sagan, he farms several acres, adjudicates local disputes, and enjoys watching his adopted daughter grow up.

That is, until his and Jane's past reaches out to bring them back into the game — as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds, for a deep political purpose that will put Perry and Sagan back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:19 -0400)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,415,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible