The Last Colony by Scalzi John

The Last Colony (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Scalzi John

Member:jayacarl
Title:The Last Colony
Authors:Scalzi John
Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Unknown Binding
Collections:Your library, Audio books

The Last Colony by John Scalzi (2007)

Recently added byRobinJewell, Gendy, LISGROUP2, private library, oswallt, HerringFamily, jlharmon, LitaVore
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (Karlstar)
    Karlstar: John Scalzi introduces the universe of the Colonial Union in this book. Similar in feel to Starship Troopers, in many ways.
    The Ophiuchi Hotline by John Varley (goodiegoodie)

English (83)  French (2)  Swedish (1)  English (86)
Back to our first hero, but in a new setting. All new challenges and just as good as the first. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
I almost did not pick up the first book in this series, Old Man’s War, because I am not a big fan of military science fiction. The blurb on the book cover intrigued me, though, and I found both this book and the sequel, Ghost Brigade, enjoyable with much better characters with more admirable traits than you normally find in this particular subgenre of science fiction. The Last Colony, in my opinion, provides a satisfying conclusion to the tale of John Perry, the former genetically altered soldier.
He is in semi-retirement with his wife (a former Special Forces soldier and clone of his dead first wife on Earth) and his adopted daughter (who is revered by an alien species), when he is called on to lead a new colony being established on a distant planet. It soon becomes clear that they have been lied to. The planet they arrive at is not the one they were told they would be colonizing. In fact, they are told they must remain hidden, which means the crew of the ship that brought them there cannot leave, the ship will be destroyed, and they are not to use of anything that can transmit an electronic signal.
To say much more about this would involve spoilers, but it soon becomes clear to Perry that their government is misleading them. What he does not know at first is that the survival of humanity depends on him figuring out what he has not been told, taking a stand against established authority, and countering some of their incredibly poor decisions regarding an alien led federation of species known as the Conclave.
A few things about this book distinguish it from others in this subgenre and make it deserving of a five-star rating. The first is the characters. There is a clear distinction between the main characters in this book. None are cookie-cutter ‘good guys’ or ‘bad guys.’ Each has understandable motivations. Some are admirable, and you care about what they do and what happens to them. Those that aren’t, are at least believable.
The second thing is the story. John and his wife (as the main characters) recognize that what they have been told doesn’t quite make sense. There are gaps, possibly distortions, and they attempt to figure out what those are (i.e. they are not stupid and credulous). Through their actions, they question, they discover, and they act, not with mindless violence, but with thought and well consider planning. This is not a simplistic ‘action’ story.
The third thing about this book that I especially liked is the mood. This is a work of positive science fiction in that it is hopeful. Humanity, despite some shortcomings, can progress and advance. Our biggest challenge is not some alien presence that wants to eat or enslave us but ourselves and how we view our place in the universe. Prejudice and jingoism are greater threats than the other species sharing the stars and John Perry realizes this.
The only negative aspect to the book that I saw was that it introduces a sentient species native to the planet John and the colonists have been sent to but little is said about them or the humans’ interaction with them other than a brief and unpleasant encounter.
If you are looking for comic book heroes and action adventure, this is book is not for you, but if you appreciate a thoughtful story with admirable characters, I recommend this with one caveat - read Old Man’s War and Ghost Brigade first.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |
A 'meh' ending to the trilogy. ( )
  apomonis | Jun 2, 2016 |
Hate to do this, but I believe the Hubsters and I are through with this series. Old Man's War was original, funny, action packed and emotional, then things went downhill with book two and hit a new low with The Last Colony

We loved the world Scalzi initially built, but there is nothing exciting and new here. John Perry and his family are asked to lead a shipload of civilians and establish a new colony on an uninhabited planet. Sounds really cool, right? Think of the survival issues, the labor as they establish their community, the day to day problems that naturally occur when people get tired and frustrated with each other because they are working in close proximity. This is all happening on a planet far from Earth, at a time when Humanity knows multiple alien worlds exist (many of them hostile). We expected action and adventure, maybe a conflict over planet ownership, or a virus that led to a mini zombie epidemic. What did we get? One big conspiracy that was poorly executed and boiled down to boring politics. That's right. Politics.

Politics are a necessary evil responsibility in real life and the last thing either of us want to do during our precious down time is listen to a fictional character discuss science fiction politics and bureaucratic backstabbing. Scalzi had an opportunity here to breathe new life into a series and it's a shame that didn't happen...at least not for us. The only time the book held our attention was when something exploded...which wasn't often enough. It was a sad, sad experience.

We won't be continuing the series. ( )
1 vote Becky_McKenna | May 16, 2016 |
An enjoyable read from the Old Man's War universe. Unfortunately I read The Last Colony and Zoe's Tale out of order so I was already familiar with many of the major plot points. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 20, 2016 |

John Scalziprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris,JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

To Patrick and Teresa Nielsen Hayden, friends and editors. To Heather and Bob, brother and sister. To Athena, daughter. To Kristine, everything.
Let me tell you of the worlds I've left behind.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 076535618X, Mass Market Paperback)

Retired from his fighting days, John Perry is now village ombudsman for a human colony on distant Huckleberry. With his wife, former Special Forces warrior Jane Sagan, he farms several acres, adjudicates local disputes, and enjoys watching his adopted daughter grow up.

That is, until his and Jane's past reaches out to bring them back into the game — as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds, for a deep political purpose that will put Perry and Sagan back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:01 -0400)

Perry and Sagan are back in the thick of interstellar politics, betrayal, and war as leaders of a new human colony, to be peopled by settlers from all the major human worlds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,626,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible