Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Little Schemer - 4th Edition by Daniel…

The Little Schemer - 4th Edition (edition 1995)

by Daniel P. Friedman (Author), Duane Bibby (Drawings), Gerald J. Sussman (Foreword)

Member:g3n3chambers
Title:The Little Schemer - 4th Edition
Authors:Daniel P. Friedman (Author)
Other authors:Duane Bibby (Drawings), Gerald J. Sussman (Foreword)
Info:The MIT Press (1995), Edition: fourth edition, 216 pages
Tags:unread

The Little Schemer by Daniel P. Friedman

I've heard great things about this book.
I'm not enjoying it - too much work.
  scottkirkwood | Dec 4, 2018 |
cute, well thought out, quick, and enlightening. what more could you want? ( )
  jmilloy | Nov 8, 2017 |
I love the idea of using a Socratic dialogue, but the execution falls flat. I'd love to see an interactive version of this material, but at that point, finding a human mentor might be even better. I'd worked through the first 3 chapters of SICP a few years before reading this, so I flew through the first 7 chapters. I did find the food based examples tiresome after a while. More descriptive naming would benefit the presentation.

Chapter 8 I stumbled through by stepping through the execution of the examples. Chapter 9 is the climax, but here the conceit really breaks down, because I didn't find the dialogue leading me anywhere. Fortunately I found a discussion on Stack Overflow that more explicitly explained why the authors had taken the path they did: http://stackoverflow.com/a/11864862

After reading that comment, it was, a ha, now Chapter 8 makes sense, at least as far as motivation. I can't help but think that if the authors used this text in a classroom setting, they must have had extra materials, or at least more complete in class discussions about what was going on.

If you have a math background, might be better off looking for a text that explicitly covers the lambda calculus. ( )
  encephalical | Nov 1, 2013 |
I gave this a quick read a few years back, but didn't work through all the examples. I'm planning to re-read it, along with it's more recent brethren, in the near future, working through all the exercises along the way. ( )
  tlockney | Feb 5, 2012 |

Daniel P. Friedmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Felleisen, MatthiasAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sussman, Gerald J.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0262560992, Paperback)

This delightful book leads you through the basic elements of programming in Scheme (a Lisp dialect) via a series of dialogues with well-chosen questions and exercises. Besides teaching Scheme, The Little Schemer teaches the reader how to think about computation. The authors focus on ten essential concepts of thinking about how to compute and demonstrate how to apply these concepts in inventive ways. The Little Schemer is an excellent book both for the beginner and for the seasoned programmer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible