The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book…

The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book 1) (original 1954; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov

4,84667954 (3.95)2 / 139
Member:apostlion
Title:The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book 1)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (1954)

Foundation by Isaac Asimov (Cecrow)
    I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (jeffjardine)
    Stars Are Cold Toys by Sergej Lukianenko (Buchtrinker)
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Artificial intelligences, detectives, a city and a mystery. The Dick is a darker, more difficult read.

English (63)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (67)
This was fun. I haven't read it in decades & never listened to it before. It was well suited to an audio book & the reader was good.

It was a good murder mystery, although the guilty party was telegraphed early. Just the details were missing. Still, the book wasn't primarily about that, but a look at the human condition in a crowded future. That was interesting, although harmed by out dated technology & I wish he'd steered clear of numbers. The world retreated to urban 'caves of steel' in the face of the overwhelming population of 8 billion several thousand years in the future which just doesn't seem likely today.

Anyway, it was a fun revisiting of Asimov's robot world in which I spent many a pleasant hour as child. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
A combination of sci fi and murder mystery - what could be better? Isaac Asimov was the writer who changed my opinion about science fiction, when I was in my 30s and finally gave into the badgering of friends and family and tried the Foundation series. He has never disappointed me since.

A word of warning to those who have seen the movie I, Robot -- there is a slight similarity but this is not the plot of the movie ... For that matter, the movie isn't similar to the book "I, Robot" either! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 28, 2014 |
A human and a robot have been put in charge of a murder investigation. The victim is none other than the person who created the robot.In the New York city of the far future where space colonisation is 1,000s of years old already. Good old Earth's population has gone through the roof. The untold billions now live in mega cities that are walled in and covered by steel. The murder happened in space town and clues seem to point straight away to the Medievalist cults. For Lije Baley the stakes get higher by the minute. For him, everything is on the line, his wife, his kids, his job, career, and standing... ( )
  IAmAndyPieters | Nov 6, 2013 |
I found this book really interesting, not only as a seminal "robot" science fiction novel (although it is that--Asimov's first "Three Laws of Robotics" novel) but also as a pretty good murder mystery and a pretty good dystopian future fantasy. It's short and very accessible, but it's not a lightweight read by any means. ( )
  TheBentley | Oct 21, 2013 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my wife GERTRUDE and My Son DAVID
Lije Baley had just reached his desk when he became aware of R. Sammy watching him expectantly.
Lije Baley acababa de sentarse a su mesa cuando se dio cuenta de que R. Sammy lo estaba mirando con expectación.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553293400, Mass Market Paperback)

A millennium into the future two advancements have altered the course of human history:  the colonization of the galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain.  Isaac Asimov's Robot novels chronicle the unlikely partnership between a New York City detective and a humanoid robot who must learn to work together.  Like most people left behind on an over-populated Earth, New York City police detective Elijah Baley had little love for either the arrogant Spacers or their robotic companions.  But when a prominent Spacer is murdered under mysterious circumstances, Baley is ordered to the Outer Worlds to help track down the killer.  The relationship between Life and his Spacer superiors, who distrusted all Earthmen, was strained from the start.  Then he learned that they had assigned him a partner:  R. Daneel Olivaw.  Worst of all was that the "R" stood for robot--and his positronic partner was made in the image and likeness of the murder victim!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:13 -0400)

Fearing a violent confrontation between Earthmen and Spacers, Detective Baley and his new partner, a robot made in the image of the victim, investigate the murder of a Spacetown scientist.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,035,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible