The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book…

The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book 1) (original 1954; edition 1991)

by Isaac Asimov

5,00873907 (3.95)2 / 160
Member:apostlion
Title:The Caves of Steel (R. Daneel Olivaw, Book 1)
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Spectra (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****

The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov (1954)

Recently added byPhilGut, private library, GlennBell, valdanylchuk, rholland, Lumifg, jcarles, meutizi

English (69)  Italian (2)  French (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (73)
Again, another book that I found enjoyable as both entertainment but as a tool to provoke thought. The brilliance of the author comes through in a manuscript over 50 years old but with many amazing insights. It is ready to pick apart things he got wrong about the future but I found his foresight great. Only weakness, the dialog at times seems a bit, well, unnatural. I know it is a future book, maybe awkward is a better word? ( )
  dirac | Jul 13, 2015 |
The book gets a second star since it's the first full three-law novel. Otherwise, it's so obvious, preachy and boring that I couldn't get through a re-read. I wanted to give to to my kid, but he's too mature for this stuff.

---

It pisses me off that I loved this stunted drivel as a kid. So much of what's wrong with me is Asimov's fault. OK, and Heinlein's. ( )
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
Over the last thousand years, the Earth established colonies on 50 other planets. But the colonies rebelled and now the Earthmen find themselves separated from the Spacer colonies. The Spacers established a town, called Spacetown, adjacent to the mega-city of New York - one of Earth's caves of steel. Their aim is to integrate robots into Earth society despite the ingrained hatred of the Earthmen toward robots. But before the project starts, the Spacer scientist leading it is killed in Spacetown. The Spacers believe he has been murdered by an Earthman. A humanoid robot, R. Daneel Olivaw, is assigned to work on the case with a plain-clothes detective, Elijah Baley, in New York. Baley can't see how an Earthman could possibly overcome his phobias, despite his hatred of robots, in order to enter Spacetown. And Baley has to battle with his own bigotry against robots.

The technology is dated, especially for a far flung future. However, the themes running through this book include over-population, finite resources, and tensions between different segments of society, which are essentially the same problems that the world faces today. And it ends with a sense of hope.

I first read this book over 40 years ago, when I was in my teens, and, on re-reading, find that it has lost none of its charm. The blend of SF and crime/mystery is as intriguing today as it was then. ( )
  Bruce_McNair | May 6, 2015 |
I did enjoy The Caves of Steel even though the mystery is nothing special and I may even read the follow up, The Naked Sun. This could be thought of as something of a dystopian future for Earth and its 8 billion inhabitants where people live in megacities that are metal warrens. Privacy is hard to come by and most people are born, live and die without ever seeing outside the city, much less going out into the countryside. Most food is basically yeast with "real" meat, fruits, and vegetables rarely available. No one starves, not even the declassified, but very few live well. Added to this, the inhabitants really, really don't like robots. As the story opens, Lije Baley is assigned a robot partner and told to investigate a murder in Spacetown. Relations with the Spacers are uneasy and Lije knows that his future depends on solving the crime so he agrees to working with a robot even though he is as prejudiced against them as anyone else.
Over the course of the investigation some of Lije's attitudes change and he begins to see that Earth must also change.
  hailelib | Feb 8, 2015 |
As science-fiction it is quite dated, but it is a fairly decent detective/mystery story.
  wissamktb | Feb 1, 2015 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dufris, WilliamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foss, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To my wife GERTRUDE and My Son DAVID
Lije Baley had just reached his desk when he became aware of R. Sammy watching him expectantly.
Lije Baley acababa de sentarse a su mesa cuando se dio cuenta de que R. Sammy lo estaba mirando con expectación.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553293400, Mass Market Paperback)

A millennium into the future two advancements have altered the course of human history:  the colonization of the galaxy and the creation of the positronic brain.  Isaac Asimov's Robot novels chronicle the unlikely partnership between a New York City detective and a humanoid robot who must learn to work together.  Like most people left behind on an over-populated Earth, New York City police detective Elijah Baley had little love for either the arrogant Spacers or their robotic companions.  But when a prominent Spacer is murdered under mysterious circumstances, Baley is ordered to the Outer Worlds to help track down the killer.  The relationship between Life and his Spacer superiors, who distrusted all Earthmen, was strained from the start.  Then he learned that they had assigned him a partner:  R. Daneel Olivaw.  Worst of all was that the "R" stood for robot--and his positronic partner was made in the image and likeness of the murder victim!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:24 -0400)

Fearing a violent confrontation between Earthmen and Spacers, Detective Baley and his new partner, a robot made in the image of the victim, investigate the murder of a Spacetown scientist.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,037,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible