Little Women (Signet Classics) by Louisa May…

Little Women (Signet Classics) (edition 2004)

by Louisa May Alcott (Author), Susan Straight (Afterword)

6,6901231,011 (3.94)None
Chronicles the joys and sorrows of the four March sisters as they grow into young ladies in nineteenth-century New England.
Member:LindaCarmon
Title:Little Women (Signet Classics)
Authors:Louisa May Alcott (Author)
Other authors:Susan Straight (Afterword)
Info:Signet Classics (2004), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Rating:***

Little Women (Signet Classics) by Louisa May Alcott

Timeless in so many ways ( )
  2016smiller | Jul 31, 2020 |
I read this at least twice as a kid, at least twice with my children, and now, once more for fun. It always seems to get better. Timeless themes and characters, timeless lessons of morality, kindness, sacrifice, and love. What a great frame of mind it gave me for Thanksgiving and the Advent-Christmas season! ( )
  MMKY | Jul 3, 2020 |
I'm of two minds on this. I forgot I had read it a LONG time ago and that basically tells me everything I needed to know about this book.

It was so unremarkable that I completely forgot I read it.

Oops? Okay, let me caveat this a little. As an exercise in enjoying ostensibly good writing, I have no issues with this. In fact, I actually rather enjoyed myself in the way that I can enjoy any bucolic afternoon with my family, wrapping a big wholesome comforter around myself.

But as an exceptional tale full of fundamental conflicts and unerring excitement, as, say, Austen is good for, or the Bronte Sisters, I'm afraid this is kinda boring. I wanted our aspiring writer to keep writing the trashy stuff that sells, not wrap the subject around a big moral blanket and then point it back at this entire novel, proving to everyone that YES, you CAN write a thoroughly, awesomely MORAL novel in an interesting way without succumbing to anything sensational.

So, hats-off to Alcott. She wrote a very bucolic novel about sisters as they grow up and get married. Included herein are tons of moral lessons that may as well be a perfect Ladies Primer.

Is it good?

Yes. Very good. Sometimes it's even amusing and heartwarming.

But my goodness I started bouncing off the text a LOT. Boredom does that.

Now, where's my horror film line-up? I need an antidote! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
After a family history with this book I had to read it. It was great, and long,.but I loved the sense of the passage of time, and the pain and happiness of life. ( )
  DerekCaelin | May 5, 2020 |
It's been so long since I read it that I'd totally forgotten that Jo doesn't write her novel! But at least she says she intends to someday, which is better than nothing. ( )
  the_lirazel | Apr 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,634,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible