What the Dead Know: A Novel by Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Laura Lippman

Member:pterhune
Title:What the Dead Know: A Novel
Authors:Laura Lippman
Info:William Morrow (2007), Hardcover, 376 pages

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

English (100)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (102)
A fun book to listen to. ( )
  rglossne | Aug 20, 2014 |
What happens when two sisters are kidnapped......And years later, only one comes back? Some good plot twists, a few things too easily discovered, but overall a satisfying escapism read. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
I don't know how I missed this book when it came out a few years ago. I wish I had read this book before I read Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl," because I enjoyed this one much more than "Gone Girl." "What the Dead Know" by Laura Lippman is the story of two sisters who go missing in the mid 1970's. In the early 2000's, a woman is found after a car accident mumbling the name of one of the sisters. The mystery of who this woman is, and what is her connection to the missing sisters. I loved how the author used the format of an unreliable narrator (the woman - is she lying?). This made the whole book questionable for me, in a good way! Rarely do I sit and read a book very quickly, and I did with this one. It was a page turner that I was hooked on. My only complaint is that several of the secondary characters didn't develop much. I would have loved more of Infante's back story and more about that character in general. ( )
1 vote Mathenam | May 24, 2014 |
Made for a good book on tape: I bought this as a book on tape for a long road trip and I really enjoyed listening to the story. The reader did a good job of helping bring the characters to life. However, I think if I had been reading the book instead of listening to the book, I would have found myself skipping ahead to the end out of frustration. The skipping back and forth through time got a little tiresome and I would not have had the patience for it if I had been reading instead of listening. Yet, it was still a good story with some interesting twists.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Sisters Heather and Sunny Bethany disappeared together in the mid-70s. Thirty years later, when a women in the same area is in a car accident, but flees the scene, she claims to be one of the Bethany sisters. But, she won't give any details.

It was good. I liked the story, but I found the organization a bit tricky to follow at times. I guess I figured it out, but I didn't like that it was done that way. Time and point of view were constantly shifting with each chapter, so it would often take a bit to figure out who we were following and when. I liked that there was an author's note at the end – it was interesting. Usually I see those only with historical fiction, but Lippman had some interesting things to say about the writing of this book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 5, 2014 |
The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no more reward, and event the memory of them is lost. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished; never again will they have any share in all that happens under the sun. -Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
For Sally Fellows and Doris Ann Norris
Her stomach clutched at the sight of the water tower hovering above the still, bare trees, a spaceship come to earth.
Wie nog in leven zijn weten tenminste dat ze moeten sterven, maar de doden weten niets. Er is niets meer wat hun loont, want ze zijn vergeten.
Prediker 9:5

Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who—or what—could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?

Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end—a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

"Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who - or what - could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?""Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end - a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household." "In a story that moves back and forth across the decades, there is only one person who dares to be skeptical of a woman who wants to claim the identity of one Bethany sister without revealing the fate of the other. Will he be able to discover the truth?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,352,285 books! | Top bar: Always visible