What the Dead Know: A Novel by Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Laura Lippman

Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:mystery, suspense, library, family

What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman

2007 (27) 2008 (16) 2009 (12) audio (12) audiobook (13) Baltimore (73) book club (14) crime (34) crime fiction (20) ebook (15) family (14) fiction (179) kidnapping (50) Kindle (13) library (13) Maryland (16) missing children (18) murder (15) mysteries (9) mystery (300) novel (23) read (31) read in 2007 (13) read in 2008 (13) sisters (40) suspense (31) thriller (28) to-read (51) unread (12) wishlist (12)

English (98)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (100)
Made for a good book on tape: I bought this as a book on tape for a long road trip and I really enjoyed listening to the story. The reader did a good job of helping bring the characters to life. However, I think if I had been reading the book instead of listening to the book, I would have found myself skipping ahead to the end out of frustration. The skipping back and forth through time got a little tiresome and I would not have had the patience for it if I had been reading instead of listening. Yet, it was still a good story with some interesting twists.
  lonepalm | Feb 5, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Sisters Heather and Sunny Bethany disappeared together in the mid-70s. Thirty years later, when a women in the same area is in a car accident, but flees the scene, she claims to be one of the Bethany sisters. But, she won't give any details.

It was good. I liked the story, but I found the organization a bit tricky to follow at times. I guess I figured it out, but I didn't like that it was done that way. Time and point of view were constantly shifting with each chapter, so it would often take a bit to figure out who we were following and when. I liked that there was an author's note at the end – it was interesting. Usually I see those only with historical fiction, but Lippman had some interesting things to say about the writing of this book. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 5, 2014 |
I remember reading it a while ago but the ending has completely left me so it musnt have been very memorable. Maybe I am just getting sick of stories about self obsessed american woman who seem to be screaming ME ME ME all the time. ( )
  jodes101 | May 9, 2013 |
I love Laura Lippman--and always enjoy reading her mysteries set in the Baltimore area. Wish I hadn't guessed the ending, though. ( )
  bibliofile55 | Apr 9, 2013 |
People have been raving about Laura Lippmann's stand-alones, but I actually prefer her series. However, this one certainly held my interest and was well-plotted, even though I guessed the ending well in advance. ( )
  auntieknickers | Apr 3, 2013 |
The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no more reward, and event the memory of them is lost. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished; never again will they have any share in all that happens under the sun. -Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
For Sally Fellows and Doris Ann Norris
Her stomach clutched at the sight of the water tower hovering above the still, bare trees, a spaceship come to earth.
Wie nog in leven zijn weten tenminste dat ze moeten sterven, maar de doden weten niets. Er is niets meer wat hun loont, want ze zijn vergeten.
Prediker 9:5

Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who—or what—could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?

Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end—a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:48 -0400)

"Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who - or what - could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?""Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end - a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household." "In a story that moves back and forth across the decades, there is only one person who dares to be skeptical of a woman who wants to claim the identity of one Bethany sister without revealing the fate of the other. Will he be able to discover the truth?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,412,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible