What the Dead Know: A Novel by Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Laura Lippman

Member:Euryale
Title:What the Dead Know: A Novel
Authors:Laura Lippman
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:mystery, suspense, library, family

What The Dead Know by Laura Lippman

English (108)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
I would probably give this a 3.75 if that were an option but since it's not, I'd rather rate it up than down. I thought the ending ran on a bit long but the rest of the book kept me guessing and interested. I'll definitely look for more Laura Lippman. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
Excellent Character development, I felt like I actually knew the characters. The story was woven together well, and the level of intrigue was good. Loved the clues that were dropped throughout the book, and after reading the conclusion I went back to reread several section to see how the clues fed into the ending. ( )
  Darwa | Mar 18, 2016 |
My choice for Book Club. Figured we needed a break after Rushdie. A fast moving mystery set in the area I grew up. It had me from beginning to end. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
1975, 2 sisters disappear from a crowded shopping mall with no leads as to their whereabouts or who might have taken them. 30 years later, a woman injured in a car accident claims to be one of the sisters. Now it's up to Baltimore police to figure out if she's telling the truth, or just another crack pot vying for attention.

I think the plot of the story was good, but the execution of telling the story failed. There were too many perspectives, too many flash backs and forwards, and not enough attention paid to developing characters that seemed worthy of care. I truly wanted to feel for the parents and the woman claiming to be the one of the girls, but - and this may seem odd to say - they seemed selfish in their misery. It may have just been the way these characters were written that made me come to this conclusion, but that's how I thought of them. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no more reward, and event the memory of them is lost. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished; never again will they have any share in all that happens under the sun. -Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
For Sally Fellows and Doris Ann Norris
Her stomach clutched at the sight of the water tower hovering above the still, bare trees, a spaceship come to earth.
Wie nog in leven zijn weten tenminste dat ze moeten sterven, maar de doden weten niets. Er is niets meer wat hun loont, want ze zijn vergeten.
Prediker 9:5

Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who—or what—could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?

Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end—a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

"Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who - or what - could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?""Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end - a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household." "In a story that moves back and forth across the decades, there is only one person who dares to be skeptical of a woman who wants to claim the identity of one Bethany sister without revealing the fate of the other. Will he be able to discover the truth?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible