What the Dead Know: A Novel by Laura Lippman

What the Dead Know: A Novel (edition 2009)

by Laura Lippman

Member:Euryale
Title:What the Dead Know: A Novel
Authors:Laura Lippman
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2009), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:mystery, suspense, library, family

What The Dead Know by Laura Lippman

English (105)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (107)
My choice for Book Club. Figured we needed a break after Rushdie. A fast moving mystery set in the area I grew up. It had me from beginning to end. ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
1975, 2 sisters disappear from a crowded shopping mall with no leads as to their whereabouts or who might have taken them. 30 years later, a woman injured in a car accident claims to be one of the sisters. Now it's up to Baltimore police to figure out if she's telling the truth, or just another crack pot vying for attention.

I think the plot of the story was good, but the execution of telling the story failed. There were too many perspectives, too many flash backs and forwards, and not enough attention paid to developing characters that seemed worthy of care. I truly wanted to feel for the parents and the woman claiming to be the one of the girls, but - and this may seem odd to say - they seemed selfish in their misery. It may have just been the way these characters were written that made me come to this conclusion, but that's how I thought of them. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
A woman flees the scene of a traffic accident and when the police track her down she claims to be one of a pair of sisters that was kidnapped from a mall decades ago. Thus begins a mystery of what happened to the Bethany sisters and whether the mysterious woman really is Heather Bethany. I really enjoyed this novel. The mystery was interesting to me and the author did a good job of giving the reader a glimpse into how a tragedy such as this affects the different parties involved. The story is not told linearly, and it took a little while to get used to the timeline skipping around in time and from perspective to perspective, but once I decided to just relax and read and it will eventually be clear where we are and who we were with, it flowed nicely for me. I think I had some extra enjoyment since I am from the area the story took place and I am familiar with most of the locations mentioned in the book. The author is from the Baltimore area and her descriptions of the Baltimore - Washington region were very accurate (which is not often the case with book set here). The characters were mostly well developed (at least the ones whose perspectives we shared) with both flaws and strengths. Overall, it was an enjoyable read that kept me guessing and wondering what really happened until the end. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
Pretty good, but slightly predictable. Will probably try more Lippman because I see potential. Also, the reviews of her fans seem to say this is their least favorite. It was a little shifty between past and present but not really hard to follow. It got a little slow and monotonous somewhere in the middle but picked back up OK. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
A 30 year missing persons report is finally solved when a woman claims to be the younger of the two missing sisters. ( )
  KatherineGregg | Sep 10, 2015 |
The living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing; they have no more reward, and event the memory of them is lost. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished; never again will they have any share in all that happens under the sun. -Ecclesiastes 9:5-6
For Sally Fellows and Doris Ann Norris
Her stomach clutched at the sight of the water tower hovering above the still, bare trees, a spaceship come to earth.
Wie nog in leven zijn weten tenminste dat ze moeten sterven, maar de doden weten niets. Er is niets meer wat hun loont, want ze zijn vergeten.
Prediker 9:5

Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who—or what—could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?

Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end—a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:58 -0400)

"Thirty years ago two sisters disappeared from a shopping mall. Their bodies were never found and those familiar with the case have always been tortured by these questions: How do you kidnap two girls? Who - or what - could have lured the two sisters away from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue or witness?""Now a clearly disoriented woman involved in a rush-hour hit-and-run claims to be the younger of the long-gone Bethany sisters. But her involuntary admission and subsequent attempt to stonewall investigators only deepens the mystery. Where has she been? Why has she waited so long to come forward? Could her abductor truly be a beloved Baltimore cop? There isn't a shred of evidence to support her story, and every lead she gives the police seems to be another dead end - a dying, incoherent man, a razed house, a missing grave, and a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart not only by the crime but by the fissures the tragedy revealed in what appeared to be the perfect household." "In a story that moves back and forth across the decades, there is only one person who dares to be skeptical of a woman who wants to claim the identity of one Bethany sister without revealing the fate of the other. Will he be able to discover the truth?"--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible