The equation that couldn't be solved : how…

The equation that couldn't be solved : how mathematical genius discovered… (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Mario Livio (Author)

Member:bnielsen
Title:The equation that couldn't be solved : how mathematical genius discovered the language of symmetry
Authors:Mario Livio (Author)
Info:New York : Simon & Schuster, 2005.
Rating:***
Tags:Mathematics

The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry by Mario Livio (2005)

English (8)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (11)
Like reading five books , so much information. I keep picturing Galois ( group theory ) as being Elric from Full Metal Alchemist. ( Probably not far off really ) " ANYTHING can be transformed ! " ( )
  BakuDreamer | Sep 7, 2013 |
While the concept of symmetry is fascinating I think that it's application to particle physics may be like applying circles to planetary motions. Nature just isn't symmetric. This book includes a great history of the mathematics of Group Theory. ( )
  jefware | Apr 24, 2011 |
This book would make a good biography of Abel and Galois but is really a book about maths and not a maths book (if you can see the distinction). We get the intimate details of the two mathematicians' lives but their actual discoveries seem to be an addendum to the book as a whole. If you want a popular history and have a basic mathematical knowledge this is for you but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to exit the process knowing something about Galois theory. ( )
  shushokan | Jan 12, 2011 |
How ignorant I am.
  coffeeandtea | Dec 18, 2010 |
Both times now that I've read a book by Mario Livio, I've thought that it was a great topic, but that someone else would have done a better job of writing about it. ( )
  wanack | Jun 28, 2008 |
Ever since my high school years I have been fascinatd by Évariste Galois.

What do Bach's compositions, Rubik's Cube, the way we choose our mates, and the physics of subatomic particles have in common? All are governed by the laws of symmetry, which elegantly unify scientific and artistic principles. Yet the mathematical language of symmetry-known as group theory-did not emerge from the study of symmetry at all, but from an equation that couldn't be solved.

For thousands of years mathematicians solved progressively more difficult algebraic equations, until they encountered the quintic equation, which resisted solution for three centuries. Working independently, two great prodigies ultimately proved that the quintic cannot be solved by a simple formula. These geniuses, a Norwegian named Niels Henrik Abel and a romantic Frenchman named Évariste Galois, both died tragically young. Their incredible labor, however, produced the origins of group theory.

The first extensive, popular account of the mathematics of symmetry and order, The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved is told not through abstract formulas but in a beautifully written and dramatic account of the lives and work of some of the greatest and most intriguing mathematicians in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:47 -0400)

"Over the millennia, mathematicians solved progressively more difficult algebraic equations until they came to what is known as the quintic equation. For several centuries it resisted solution, until two mathematical prodigies independently discovered that it could not be solved by the usual methods, thereby opening the door to group theory. These young geniuses, a Norwegian named Niels Henrik Abel and a Frenchman named Evariste Galois, both died tragically. Galois, in fact, spent the night before his fatal duel (at the age of twenty) scribbling another brief summary of his proof, at one point writing in the margin of his notebook "I have no time."" "The story of the equation that couldn't be solved is a story of brilliant mathematicians and a fascinating account of how mathematics illuminates a wide variety of disciplines. In this book, Mario Livio shows in an easily accessible way how group theory explains the symmetry and order of both the natural and the human-made worlds."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,528,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible