DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2 by Darwyn Cooke

DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2 (edition 2005)

by Darwyn Cooke, Dave Stewart

Member:regularguy5mb
Title:DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2
Authors:Darwyn Cooke
Other authors:Dave Stewart
Info:
Rating:*****

The New Frontier, vol. 2 by Darwyn Cooke

Here we have the second part of the New Frontier. We learn more about the mysterious force known as The Centre and it's connections to the Land That Time Forgot, the Viking Prince, and numerous other classic DC characters. We finally see many of the Silver Age heroes come into their own and step up to the mantle they would claim as members of the Justice League of America. We also see several of the other groups from the Silver Age come to help. The whole story ends with a classic speech from John F. Kennedy in regards to the new American frontier (hence the title of this tale) teamed with images of the Silver Age heroes and their villains in the times immediately following the New Frontier story. There are so many references to major characters that will become integral parts of the DC Universe. Such a great read. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jan 2, 2013 |
Late-fifties-era DC superheroes in the classic heroic mode except with acknowledgement of racism and McCarthyite fear of dissidents/others (sexism, not so much, but are you surprised?). Wonder Woman, though she got one fantastically disturbing/awesome scene, had even less to do than in the first volume—and she was pretty much the best thing about it—and everybody comes together in the end because of a bigger threat; I guess we’re all in this together. I think this might have been a lot of fun for teenaged me, and I suspect if you’re a fan of classic Hal Jordan, who gets a lot of screen time, or of J’onn, you might like it better than I did. ( )
  rivkat | Jun 29, 2010 |
The powerful conclusion to this saga of the early DC universe lives up to its earlier promise. While the plot and characters are sometimes hard to follow without a scorecard, the various subplots eventually come together as an immense alien menace to the Earth reveals itself. More than anything else, the feeling evoked as Earth's heroes and defenders, previously hunted and maligned by an untrusting public and government, put their differences aside to join in a common fight for survival, reminds me of the concluding battle in "Independence Day". I enjoyed the retro feel to this book, in both the marvelous artwork by Darwyn Cooke, and the more innocent and naive outlook of the heroes themselves. The comic books of the Silver Age had a vigor and youth that is very convincingly replicated here. ( )
  burnit99 | Jan 5, 2007 |
This just got better and better, after seeming to be perhaps not so interesting to start with. You look at the cartoony style and thing that this is going to be a cheerful, simplistic, Golden Age homage. That would be way off base and I am very happy I spent the time to go past that, into this excellent complex tale.

http://graphicsf.blogspot.com/2006/11/new-frontier-2.html ( )
  bluetyson | Sep 28, 2006 |
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

It's a mystery in space as Superman, the Suicide Squad, and the Challengers of the Unknown encounter a frightening extraterrestrial life form. Could this hideous creature have anything to do with the sense of impending doom all the heroes are experiencing? Plus, Hal Jordan is grounded, while post-war America faces a monstrous threat older than Vandal Savage! Will this challenge bring America and its heroes back together or tear them apart?--alibris.com… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,743 books! | Top bar: Always visible