The Name of the Wind (2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Series: The Kingkiller Chronicle (1)

14,946636262 (4.38)3 / 711
The tale of Kvothe, from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages, you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But this book is so much more, for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe's legend.… (more)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (612)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (634)
I don't know about entitlement, or social contract for books in general, or the demon of writer's block - but with Rothfuss and Kingkiller it was said to be a book in three parts and I think the author claimed to "know" the three parts or overall story. I think in this case it was fair to expect the books be published in a reasonable timescale. I used to recommend Kingkiller to fellow fantasy fans but not any more, I now just don't believe in the existence of a third book now or any time soon. How could I recommend that knowing it'd just annoy anyone new to it? Unfortunately it feels like the author, possibly like Martin, has been distracted by more interesting projects - here seeing their work brought to the screen. If the author can't be bothered why should I? Calling it a trilogy in any current advertising should be done under the trades descriptions act... The worst of it is that this has now put me of reading series of books until all the series has been published. I've actively avoided books because I don't want to be left hanging again. Which is the worst of all - effectively the Kingkiller books have narrowed my reading list!

Simple solution is to read books from the vast selection of finished works. Ideally pick a deceased author and you'll sleep soundly knowing that they can't decide to write an appalling sequel and ruin your beloved series. Or read current fiction on the reasonable understanding that the author may be hit by bus and you'll never find out what happened! Or read Abercrombie’s “The Age of Madness” trilogy which is already finished (I’ve already got the first two volumes on hold in my TBR pile; as soon as the third volume comes out in September 2021 it’ll be blast off time for reading the 3 volumes in a row!)

Rothfuss's obviously made enough money to be cool doing whatever takes his fancy as opposed to grafting for a living. Try looking at the productivity of people who self-publish via Amazon and Kindle: the likes of Chris Nuttall and so on. Mr. Rothfuss, he is very active on the Web, and even lectures about writing. This seems odd given his lack of.....writing.

Bottom-line: Don' buy Rothfuss’s next Kingkiller book whan ut eventuallay comes out. That'll teach thjm to type fstser even if theyre nort touch typists, like I jsut did (yse, writing books is just typing, don't glorify it, like it's some secreat of the universe involvoing hard thinking, jsut type away raelly qucikly like a mothertucker until you reach the end,!(

NB: I have decided to NEVER read the Kingkiller chronicles again! Not because of the wait, but because the lead character is an insufferable Mary Sue…Especially in the chapter where he discovers the sex faerie and every chapter after that. Ugh. ( )
  antao | Sep 25, 2020 |
The book itself was enjoyable to a point; I've read far worse. I was determined to slog through until the end because, well, it had moments of entertainment. Although I strongly disliked the way Rothfuss designs his characters (my BIGGEST complaint, and this is coming from someone who holds a warm place in their heart for Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series), it wasn't ALL bad. Who knows? Maybe by the end I would like it enough to want to continue past this "history" of the "Kvothe! The World's Greatest Man!" into the "present" and read something interesting with dynamic characters.

Then I read the summary of the series...

This book wasn't 600 pages of the history of the "World's Greatest Man". It was 600 pages of over-detailed, unnecessary PARTIAL history of the "World's Greatest Man". The next TWO books (presumably greater than another 1,000 pages) ALSO detail his history.

Nope.

Part of the problem could be that I started this book with absurdly high expectations based on rave reviews from persons I trust. Most of the problem is the way that Rothfuss writes his characters. This book is 600 pages of a singular character saying "look how great I am! I can do EVERYTHING. I am a genius! I am an esteemed scholar! I can fight! I am a master thief! I play music so beautifully it makes people weep! I know the secrets of the universe! I AM A GOD!". Bleh. All of the other male characters are not worth mentioning. No. Really. They have no interesting abilities or flaws. Any interesting personality trait or ability has already been used on Kvothe. The female characters were even less compelling. Either Rothfuss doesn't actually know any women, or he holds the female gender in complete contempt (again, this is coming from a Robert Jordan fan). Apparently the entire purpose of a woman, according to this series, is for sex* or to be loved so that a man can mourn her passing. Barf.

So why two stars instead of one? It at least kept me awake on a 12-hour road trip.

*case in point, from the wiki: "Due to Felurian's erotic disposition she is almost always nude and enjoys music, often personally enticing men with the sound of her singing. Customarily she is best known for seduction of mortal men into the Fae. Here, she either kills them or drives them insane with excess of sexual debauchery." NOT SURPRISED. ( )
  kohrmanmj | Sep 21, 2020 |
I know a lot of people REALLY like this book, and a lot of people REALLY dislike this book. I found upon an attempt to read it, that I fall in with the latter folk. Of course it's just my humble and personal opinion, but unfortunately, this book grated on my nerves and I gave up on it. That doesn't happen very often for me.
The story was mildly intriguing, but I found that the author continuously repeated himself (sometimes sentence after sentence, which I simply can't stand), used a ridiculous amount of frilly/flowery/overly (and badly) poetic writing (seemingly for filler), and I found the main character (and the few other characters we got to "know") seriously lacking. He seemed to be a character who could do little wrong, and the wrong he did or the wrongs he encountered appeared to be meant to raise him to near-martyrdom. I felt no connection to this character, his emotions, or his trials. I felt no pity for him, and in fact spent the bit of the book I did read hoping he'd encounter something terrible that would shake his damn demeanor (never happened). If this novel had been written better, or even written by someone else, I may have enjoyed it. As it stands, though, I couldn't even make it halfway through. There are many books in the fantasy genre I can spend my time on, and unfortunately this isn't one. ( )
1 vote whatathymeitwas | Sep 13, 2020 |
ok, this book is certainly set-up for a sequel or two BUT oh my dear inner reader was not happy with all the exposition -- I would have cut at least 100 pages out of this book. I ended up skipping lots and then I thought the story was a good read. I will give the next book a go, knowing I'll be skipping some in that one too. ( )
  SleepyBooksandCakes | Aug 22, 2020 |
Fun book but went into reading it despite all the recent hype surrounding it. Not as original as I was hoping but still a good novel and I look forward to the sequels. ( )
  briandarvell | Aug 7, 2020 |

Hansen, MortenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Patrick Rothfuss is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,736,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible