The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller…

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) (edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,056391399 (4.39)2 / 513
Member:Severn
Title:The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (370)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (388)
What a complex, fascinating world! Was it a little bit over written? Maybe, but the descriptive world and fascinating characters keep the reader from bogging down. ( )
  KrisMcG | Dec 20, 2014 |
While I feel like the book had great potential (very interesting idea), it fell flat for me in two areas.

First, the dialogue. I won't go into details but it was excruciating to read at times. The way characters interacted with one another was often awkward, disjointed, or ill-fitting to the situation or the flow of dialogue that preceded it. It's like the author wanted to throw in a quick repartee but didn't go back and think about how the dialogue, situation, and characters had developed up to that point. It might have been ok in a different situation but it felt unrealistic or awkward at certain points in the novel. It feels like the dialogue was written by someone with no actual real-word experience in similar social interactions (ie. love interest, dealing with authority, rivalries, bartering, etc..).

Second, the characters themselves seemed like they were basically a collage of your stereotypical anime or comic group. Brilliant yet secretive and emotionally oblivious lead, devoted sidekick with a story of his own, a couple of well-meaning but out-of-their depth friends, a cool and detached love interest, a "malfoy-esque" type rival, a wise old teacher, and a few type-cast professors (eccentric, studious and detached, vindictive and cold, etc). I would have loved a bit more realism and development surrounding them, but perhaps that's yet to come.
The most annoying aspect on this second point was the predictability of the characters and their one-dimensional nature. It was also a tad annoying when the main character, who's supposed to be a brilliant and worldly young man can't figure out simple things (ex. someone slightly mispronounces a word and the character doesn't have a clue of what it might actually be for several paragraphs or even pages....come on).

Don't be too discouraged by the above as it's just a personal opinion. That said, I think it was an alright read (the author's got a great idea and the map was a great feature), it just needed a bit more editing. ( )
  PlayerX | Dec 18, 2014 |
A humble innkeeper turns out to be the famous Kvothe, magician, thief, and musician, and when he tells his story to a scribe, a tale of happiness, suffering, love, and hardship is revealed. I very much enjoyed spending time with Kvothe and with the world in which he lives. The whole wizard-school genre is very difficult to do nowadays and I thought Rothfuss did a nice job with making his different from the other "famous" ones. Kvothe's origins and what happens to his family is what really caught my attention and got me invested in the story. Unfortunately, this is only book one in a planned trilogy, so we won't get too far into Kvothe's investigations into the Chandrian and although the world-building is quite good, the writing tends toward the prolix when it comes to describing Kvothe's accomplishments and I have a feeling the author may be just a little bit to fond of his own character because he's not letting him do much wrong, other than by mistake and that doesn't really count. Still, it was a very enjoyable trip into a new world and I will most certainly be following Kvothe's tale to its end. ( )
  -Eva- | Dec 7, 2014 |
I almost throw it out of the window during the first couple of hundred pages. I am glad I did not. ( )
  alv | Dec 7, 2014 |
THE NAME OF THE WIND was recommended to me by many people as one of the best fantasy novels to come along in quite a while. That caused me to wait a while before reading it (it was on my to-read list for seven years). But I finally finished it, and found the book to be good--quite good, in fact!

First, be warned that THE NAME OF THE WIND is pretty slow in spots. There is a lot to building a new world, creating a form of magic, and explaining how everything works. That said, when there is action, it actually caused my heart to race. Rothfuss does a fantastic job with descriptions whether it's something as simple as the color of a character's eyes or as complex as the attempt to kill an armor-plated dragon. There are times when the descriptions become a bit too much: an over-abundance of metaphors and similes almost stopped me from reading early on.

This is a character-driven novel, and I hope that as the series develops, I'll come to care more about the characters in it. Young Kvothe is both brilliant and stupid, and is annoying because of both traits. The girl he adores, Denna, is someone a smart man would avoid rather than pursue. But it's the older Kvothe, I call him Kvothe the Narrator to distinguish him from his younger self, is the most interesting of the lot and the reason I'll keep reading the series. Sad, strong, angry, brilliant, and complex. Kvothe the Narrator needs to tell his story, and I'm happy to be reading it. The many minor characters aren't fleshed out enough for me to give them more than this much of a mention.

There are so many layers to THE NAME OF THE WIND, writing a concise review of it is difficult. There is a lot to like in the book, and there is a lot for the author to build on as he continues the story of Kvothe. I look forward to reading the rest of the series, and have high hopes for it, as a whole, to live up to the hype. ( )
  kalky | Dec 7, 2014 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read