The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller…

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,284400379 (4.39)2 / 536
Member:Severn
Title:The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (381)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (400)
4 ½ Stars

This review is also published at http://thebookaholiccat.com

Kvothe is a legendary hero, loved and hated for many. Legends had been written in his name, but which one held the true to the different events? That, nobody knows.
The Chronicler a famous scribe is tracking down Kvothe; he wants to be the one to tell the real story of this famous character.
By unexpected circumstances The Chronicler and Kvothe crossed paths, resulting in The Chronicle arrival to Kvothe’s inn. Kvothe has been living, as an innkeeper in a little town for a couple of months under an alias, just his apprentice Bast, knows who he really is.
But The Chronicler soon recognizes Kvothe and pleads to him to tell him his real story. He wants to be the one who tells it to the world.
After some consideration Kvothe agrees. He tells The Chronicle it will take three days for him to relate everything. All the details are settled and Kvothe starts almost immediately to narrate his life events, beginning with his childhood and moving along until his time at The University.
In this book we see all the events in Kvothe’s childhood, it was not an easy one. Many dramatic events unfold through the pages.
His life changes drastically after his parents and friends are killed by The Chandrian. He goes from being a loved and cherished child to a beggar and pickpocket in the streets of an unknown city.
But Kvothe is smart and he knows it; he has also a very driven personality. After three years in the streets he wakes up of his stage of shock and decides he had mourned enough the dead of his parents. He now wants revenge. He is going to kill The Chandrian, but he doesn’t know anything about them. First he needs to learn about them to be able to find their weak points (if there are any) to kill them. He decides his best option is to go to The University to learn everything he requires. He does whatever is necessary to get accepted in The University and after being accepted he would need to do whatever is necessary to stay there until he learns what he needs to learn.

The Name of the Wind is the first book of The Kingkiller Chronicle Trilogy. Each book in this trilogy will belong to a day of Kvothe’s storytelling.

Kvothe is a very mysterious character, as a child we see him as clever and gifted kid; not just with his studies but with everything he does, especially with music. As an adult others see him almost as a god-like hero. Many legends and stories are written about him. But in this book we don’t know yet about them.
Bast is something non-human. Maybe Fae, but we are not sure what he really is. The only thing certain about him is his love and devotion for Kvothe.
The Chronicle is an interesting character; he is a well-known scribe, but not much is said about him. I think there is more to him and he will surprise us in the books to come.
I like Kvothe’s friends Simmon and Wilem from The University; they are nice supporting characters. They love him and accept him the way he is, and they really care for him.
I couldn’t connect with Denna nor did I understand the attraction Kvothe felt for her. I hope in the next books I could see it more clearly.

My final though: This is a long book, over 700 pages but it’s so well written and entertaining that you won’t feel it. The changes from present to pass are expertly done.
The world building is amazing, is not just original but made in a very detail manner. I finished the book couple of days ago and still I just need to close my eyes to picture every city and room in this book.
The Name of the Wind has a nice pace; also Mr. Rothfuss is a master at storytelling. He gives us little glances of things that would happen in the future, keeping us glued to the pages because we want to know when and how these things would happen.
If you love Fantasy, you will love this book. Book two of The Kingkiller Trilogy, The Wise Man’s Fear was released this month. I hope to read it soon. This one it’s over thousand pages.
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book but not as much as I was expecting to. Maybe not just another fantasy epic, but certainly nothing earth-shatteringly original. The magic aspect was handled very nicely.

What I don't care for here is the complete assumption that the reader is going to read his next two books, and the resulting reality that the reader has just read one-third of a book. There is no attempt to make this book stand alone. And the next book is 900 pages? Very unlikely. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Feb 26, 2015 |
It was very slow to start, the first 50 pages were a bit dull. I was clueless about the story and who the characters were, so I found it didn’t grab my attention at the beginning. However, as I kept reading it went from strength to strength.

Rothfuss’ writing felt so poetic, it was so easy to read and visualise the world he was creating. I loved how Kvothe’s character and how the story evolved through his narration. I could not compare it to other fantasy books like I have seen other users doing, books such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings – it is an original story that can stand on its own.

I loved the highly unique way in which Rothfuss introduces the idea of dragons, and that was one of the elements that make this book stand out against other great books in the same genre. I feel like part 1 of Kvothe’s story is just a warm-up for the subsequent installments and I am expecting great things from book number 2. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Great fantasy story...Great adventure... ( )
  DavidO1103 | Feb 7, 2015 |
Wonderful! On par or better with other epic fantasies such as The Wheel of Time Saga, The Sword of Truth, or The Song of Fire and Ice. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read