The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller…

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,428407368 (4.39)2 / 547
Member:Severn
Title:The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (386)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (405)
Great first novel cant wait for the next one. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
The story of Kvothe is told it two parts, both presently while he is hiding as an innkeeper with his ‘assistant’ Bast and within the frame story as the tale of his life that he is telling The Chronicler. The story is intricate, careful woven, and musical. It plays with language as Kvothe plays with language, and is filled with everything from children’s rhymes to songs to threats uttered so eloquently you go back to read them again. Kvothe, a legendary figure by the time of the frame story, was part of the Edem Ruh, talented and well-educated traveling players. An exceptional child, he was desperate for knowledge and was provided all he could ask for until the deaths of everyone in his caravan. At that point his tale changes, moving to a wandering orphan living off the streets and then a young teen who makes his way to the University and eventually is kicked out at a younger age than most people are accepted in. He is too clever by half, he is driven and proud, he is a talented musician, a well-trained actor, and often favored by fortune. The answers he seeks lie in parts of history that have faded to myth and with the monsters of children’s rhymes and campfire stories. Always, as he searches, he learns more, he grows, and he leaves his own stories behind. I lack the words to properly describe this-- I was half tempted to simply re-write Kvothe’s introduction to his own story-- so I will simply say that it is a story that should be read. It was crafted lovingly and is filled with an elegance of language rarely seen in an author’s first novel. ( )
  Ailinel | May 1, 2015 |
Nick Podehl does an absolutely marvelous narration of this fantasy novel (book reviewed separately). Listening to his narration swept me along and I would find myself sitting in the car just listening because I didn't want to break into the story! He also drew me past some bits which in retrospect seem a bit more YA than I typically would like. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 25, 2015 |
A great fantasy book (and a marvelous audiobook too which I will review separately). However, in the end, there was something lacking. Perhaps that feeling comes from the fact that the story isn't completed in this book, despite it being over 650 pages long.

I like the way the story is being told through Kote to the Chronicler. There are a few aspects of the plot that seem a little too YA to me but more in retrospect than as I was reading/listening. ( )
  leslie.98 | Apr 25, 2015 |
Wow. Normally I'm not a fan of either big books, or fantasy, or series. But I'm breaking all the rules for this one. Utterly enchanting. Fewer tropes, wonderful world-building, wit and wonder, romance and excitement, and easy enough to get through but thoughtful enough be memorable. Truly recommended for anyone who is even considering reading it, especially for fans of Lord of the Rings, Robert Jordan, Eragon, Harry Potter... ages 12 up. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ORTEGA, GEMMA; ROVIRATranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read