The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller…

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,916422337 (4.4)2 / 559
Title:The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (401)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (420)
It was very slow to start, the first 50 pages were a bit dull. I was clueless about the story and who the characters were, so I found it didn’t grab my attention at the beginning. However, as I kept reading it went from strength to strength.

Rothfuss’ writing felt so poetic, it was so easy to read and visualise the world he was creating. I loved how Kvothe’s character and how the story evolved through his narration. I could not compare it to other fantasy books like I have seen other users doing, books such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings – it is an original story that can stand on its own.

I loved the highly unique way in which Rothfuss introduces the idea of dragons, and that was one of the elements that make this book stand out against other great books in the same genre. I feel like part 1 of Kvothe’s story is just a warm-up for the subsequent installments and I am expecting great things from book number 2.
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
A great fantasy story told in flashbacks. This is the first in the series and I definitely want to keep reading.
  Meddington | Nov 26, 2015 |
A few years ago after a friend pointed me to Patrick Rothfuss and Scott Lynch as modern fantasy writers. I remember the sample chapter of The Lies of Locke Lamora (Lynch's first book) quite clearly: it was so unique, so gripping... I've never hit the Buy Now button so quickly. In contrast, my memory of the sample from The Name of the Wind was more vague. I remembered noticing that (1) it started in a tavern, (2) with a rather meek barkeeper as the protagonist, and (3) felt rather cliche overall. I didn't finish the first chapter.

I went on to read other things instead, while Mr. Rothfuss rapidly ascended to become one of the best-known and best-selling fantasy authors in the world. I finally realized that I'd probably missed something. So I got the full book and gave it a shot. I'm SO glad that I did.

The Name of the Wind has a unique narrative structure: the opening and certain chapters are told from 3rd person POV as Kvothe recounts his story to a professional chronicler. Aside from brief, groan-inducing visits back to the tavern, most of the story is told in Kvothe's engaging first person point of view. That's where this book caught up to Lynch's great beginning: the story of an orphan trying to survive in a very rough world, and aspiring to make himself the best at something. When I reached that point, I was hooked.

Mr. Rothfuss possesses a lovely writing style and exceptional worldbuilding skills. Undoubtedly, that's a large part of why he's done so well. Admittedly, I found myself a bit dissatisfied with the narrative of The Name of the Wind, because it wanders somewhat off-course in the latter third of the book. My biggest problem was with the ending, because it resolves very little. I love a good series as much as anyone, but I think I would have preferred a story that could stand on its own.

That said, I'm certainly eager to read the next book, which tells me that the author just might know what he's doing after all. ( )
  DanKoboldt | Nov 24, 2015 |
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm really not sure what to rate this book. Overall, I didn't enjoy the story or most of the characters, but at the same time, it's clear that Rothfuss is a talented writer and I was very immersed in the world, even if most of the time I was bored. His writing was a little flowery at times (perhaps I'm just not used to so many metaphors and similes, so they tend to stand out when I come across a book that uses them often), but I did get a great sense of the world and the characters he was describing and I have to give him credit for that.

My biggest issue with this book was the length. It was 720 pages of a whole lot of nothing. Kvothe begins to tell his life story, starting from around age 8 or so, and the book ends when he's 16 (maybe 18?). I think it could have been cut in half and rather than giving me every minute detail, focus on more important parts. (I have been told that supposedly all the bits in this book are important in the next book, but as I won't be continuing on in the series, I can only go by the impression this first installment gave me).

Kvothe isn't really a likeable character - I got the impression I was supposed to like him, but I found him to be arrogant and idiotic. A large portion of the book was spent listening to him talk about how dirt poor he was, how he'd work hard or luck into money, then blow it on something stupid, so he could be dirt poor again! And endless cycle that didn't invoke any sympathy on my part. The other half of the book was him gushing about Denna, the cliche, most beautiful girl in the world who is tough on the outside but hurting on the inside but needs help from no man, love interest.

(Insert eye rolling here)

Not to mention, this book touches on nothing mentioned in the blurb:
"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep."

That's what I want to hear about! I want to know what a sleeping barrow king (picturing a draugr from Skyrim if there are any fans out there). I want to know more about Kvothe in the present and how he got to where he was, as well as his student (assistant?) Bast, and Chronicler, the man recording his story. I wanted more magic. But I'm not about to slog through another 700 (or more?!) pages of boring crap to get to it. Perhaps if this book was half as long, I could be persuaded to venture on to book two. But at this point, I'm not impressed enough to dedicate any more time to the world or the character. If I ever do move on to book two, it will be a long time coming. ( )
1 vote MillieHennessy | Nov 17, 2015 |
Chilling, inspiring, amusing, The Name of the Wind sends the reader on a whirlwind of adventures as Kvothe tells his life story. The book is clever and realistic, with interludes interrupting the general flow of the story, while reminding the reader that so much has changed from where Kvothe is in his telling of his life and where Kvothe is now, forcing the reader to question: What happened? Personally, the most drawing aspect of the book is the realistic writing of the characters. Kvothe is the hero, but he obviously has faults that affect his social life and how he grows as a person. But these faults come with natural counterparts that progress the story logically and intriguingly: Kvothe is clever, which allows him entrance to the University earlier than most students, but his youth challenges others and awards him enemies. The book is beautifully and engagingly written, proving that there is always more than meets the eye. ( )
  Brianna_Weinstein | Nov 5, 2015 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read