The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller…

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One) (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

10,562494269 (4.39)3 / 631
Member:Severn
Title:The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle: Day One)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:
Tags:Speculative Fiction, Fantasy

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (471)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (490)
This was an epic story set in an alternate universe. Kvothe is now a simple innkeeper trying to keep his colorful past to himself, but agrees to tell the story of his life to the visiting Chronicler. The story will take three days to tell, and this first book covers the first day telling of his story. As a child, Kvothe was one of the Edema Ruh (travelling performers). When his parents along with the entire troup of performers are killed by mystical beings called the Chandrian, Kvothe ends up a beggar child on the streets of the large city of Tarbean. Once grown into a teenager, Kvothe becomes determined to learn more about the Chandrian and become an arcanist. He makes his way to University, where his quick aptitude and cleverness win him both friends and powerful enemies. He also falls for a young woman named Denna, a girl with a mysterious past who seems to come and go without warning. Kvothe is a fascinating and sympathetic character. Luckily the author avoided the mistake of making him perfect -- Kvothe acts rashly at times without thought for the consequences, is given to self-pity and suffers from a bit too much pride. The secondary characters are competently rendered if not too finely drawn; I'd be happier if Kvothe's two University friends featured larger in the story. I don't entirely trust Denna, but I'm willing to see where that storyline will end up. The story itself is imaginative and engrossing, and it says a lot about this tale that it managed to retain my interest after 700 pages. I'll look forward to the next book. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
Finally I'm done! Slow, but good writing. The feeling I have is of 722 pages of foundation and that maybe the real story hasn't started yet. I will probably continue the series, but it's definitely a time investment! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
Absolutely great in my opinion. A book that you wouldn't mind re-reading once you finished. Every character is alive, you love, laugh, hate, and fear with them. ( )
  ravenwood0001 | Jun 17, 2017 |
Great sword & sorcery novel that plays with the genre and possesses a sly grasp of real magic. ( )
  kinetachien | Jun 16, 2017 |
4.5 stars

I confess that there were times reading this book when I thought it dragged a little, and I did occasionally feel as though that Rothfuss had included a lot of stuff in the story that perhaps should have been backstory. However, the writing was so very good that these things are forgivable. There are points where the prose positively scintillates. Writers are often warned away from an over-use of metaphor, but this book is an example of how it can be used to superb effect; not only does Rothfuss have a poet's ear for metaphor, the use of it is always appropriate because of the way the tale is being told, as a direct first-person narrative in a tavern, but also because myth and story play such an important role in the tale and in the world he has created.

And that is another part of the bedrock that makes the book so strong. Rothfuss' world seems wonderfully complete – not so much in the references to places and peoples and languages – although they are there, often as part of the characters' everyday conversation – but in the myths and folktales and beliefs that permeate the world. This, more than anything, gives the story a solid foundation on which to rise. It is a favourite game of mine to spot which fantasy and SF authors are (or have been) roleplaying gamers; there tend to be giveaways, little hints of story construction or even references to or influences from specific games or milieux, and even before hearing an interview with Rothfuss where he talked about this the story's genesis in gaming is apparent. However, as with many gamers this was obviously an outlet and spur for his creativity, and he has used it to create both a solidly imagined world and a compelling tale.

The characterisation is broad-brush but effective. Sometimes the hero, Kvothe, comes across as a bit too perfectly heroic – too talented, too good at everything he does – and his flaws of obsession and overconfidence and occasional youthful insecurity aren't quite played on enough for my tastes; I like my heroes to be flawed. As I wrote earlier, the framed story of Kvothe's past, especially at university, does drag a little, and I wanted to be back in the current goings on more. There is a also perhaps a little too much of the triumph followed by disaster motif, until the reader is almost rolling their eyes thinking “okay, what's going to go wrong to spoil things this time?”

However, even with these minor quibbles it is a stunning first novel, along with [a:NK Jemisin|2917917|N.K. Jemisin|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1243734625p2/2917917.jpg]'s [b:The hundred Thousand Kingdoms|6437061|The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (The Inheritance Trilogy, #1)|N.K. Jemisin|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LcM594U6L._SL75_.jpg|6626657] the second excellent fantasy debut I've read this year. About half way through I did opine that I doubted I'd be continuing with the second volume, but even if I don't especially care about the characters I find that I am so gripped by the story and the plot that after a break for something a little different I am avid to know what becomes of Kvothe's tale. ( )
1 vote Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |

Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.
Все началось со страха. Однажды, вернувшись с лесной прогулки, юный Квоут, актер из бродячей труппы, нашел на месте разбитого на ночь лагеря страшное пепелище. И изуродованные трупы друзей-актеров, его странствующей семьи. И тени странных созданий, прячущихся во мраке леса. Так впервые в жизнь юноши вторгаются чандрианы, загадочное племя, чьим именем пугают детей и о жутких делах которых рассказывается в древних преданиях. Теперь отыскать убийц и воздать им по заслугам становится целью Квоута. Но чтобы воевать с демонами, нужно овладеть знаниями, недоступными для простого смертного, — изучить магическое искусство и научиться повелевать стихиями…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read