The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Patrick Rothfuss

12,929574296 (4.38)3 / 687
Member:artsyleah
Title:The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 672 pages

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (aulandez)
    aulandez: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (Vonini)
    Vonini: Both accounts of a boy growing up and studying magic. And both excellent books.
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The First Journey of Agatha Heterodyne: Book One: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar (Prima Official Game Guide) by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)

English (550)  Spanish (13)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (570)
While reading this book, I literally thought to myself "this is like Harry Potter.... but better." And maybe it's not (it's not), but if it can make me think that, then it must be amazing (it is). It reminds me of why I love the fantasy genre, and how lovely it is to get lost in a fictional world. It's the story of how a legend is created, and how stories change and turn as quickly as the wind. The prose is easy to read, yet absolutely beautiful. The characters are very human and intriguing in their own way, and Kvothe is utterly charming in his youthful innocence, and completely heartbreaking in his storytelling presence. I do not have enough words to express my love for this novel. ( )
  ainjel | Jun 20, 2019 |
An amazing intro book to this trilogy. Kvothe is a very intriguing character. This book mainly explores the nature of magic with far more depth than the Harry Potter series could even dream of. ( )
  jrg1316 | Jun 20, 2019 |
An innkeeper begins to tell his story to a traveling chronicler, and boy is it a doozy of a tale. This has everything I love about excellent fantasy: a cocky but lovable hero who also makes a wonderfully self-deprecating narrator, cool and mysterious monstery bad guys, fabulous back stories and world building, seemingly doomed love,... It's all here and then some. And the writing is so, so fabulous. *happy sigh* ( )
  scaifea | Jun 10, 2019 |
This popular recent work of fantasy is the first in a series. Rothfuss is above all a storyteller, and that makes up for what amount to niggling criticisms. The book has an intriguing protagonist in Kvothe, who has burnished a reputation as a larger-than-life master of magic and force of nature. He hides from his many enemies in a remote town as Kote the tavern keeper, dictating his memoirs. This book details Kvothe’s childhood arc from promising but utterly alone young boy eking out an existence among orphans on the streets, to his goal of reaching the University. The worldbuilding is colorful and vivid, and the pacing never lags. The action takes place in a pre-technical world, as does so much fantasy. It could roughly be the Game of Thrones realm, physically and technologically. And the book lover, a group to which the author no doubt belongs, will understand the appeal to young Kvothe of the library of the University, whose vast stacks may hold the key to understanding his past.

There’s some YA language, but why not, I suppose, as Kvothe is a teen through most of the telling. There’s too much caricatured anxiety of male romantic inexperience for my taste.

I’d dish out more criticism, but I think it would be undermine my main message: while flawed, this is a colorful story that entertains.
  stellarexplorer | Jun 4, 2019 |
I am a huge fan of any author using the full scope of language as paint to a canvas. Patrick Rothfuss is not afraid to make his reader stop and think a bit with even the simplest of word smithing to ensure the best possible connection: "patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."

As far as story telling goes, there is a learning curve of sorts wherein the reader has to come to terms with this book not following the typical pattern of a narrative (foundation, complication, resolution). This is a man telling his life's story for his own unique purposes and like children around a fire, we are helpless to do much but sit in rapt attention as the story unfolds.

Kvothe, the protagonist, is equal parts idiot and genius, as perhaps most idiots and geniuses are. There are lessons I was painfully desirous that he would get through his thick skull and contradiction in character that befuddles me. For example, Kvothe is exceptionally impulsive in many respects, impatient and careless. However, with regard to the woman in his life, I wish I could reach in a smack him on the head to get him to do something, anything.

The point of this is to say that Kvothe is the stuff of legends and yet painfully human. The Name of the Wind is a great story, cleverly worded, beautifully colored, and lovingly told. ( )
  GeroneBlomgren | May 23, 2019 |

Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read