The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) (edition 2009)

by Patrick Rothfuss

7,540360457 (4.4)2 / 492
Member:EvilNuff
Title:The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 672 pages

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Author)

Recently added bydrhapgood, private library, sreeparna, pcollins, mark_wagner, Bdubs, SherrieB, Angee414, jackiewyse
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (342)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (358)
This book was so highly praised and talked about, I thought I'd give it a go. Some even claimed it's kinda similar to A Game of Thrones series. Well, I disagree. Or perhaps, it is just me. It was so hard to get through this book,really,it was.This was the only book I took with me on my vacation,in case I got bored and I was bored half the time but this book made it worse. I did not understand the whole point of the novel. Even being stuck in the airport for six hours and continuously reading through chapters(because, I really wanted to give it a shot and not give up too soon), it was torture. I'm still a few chapters away from completing the book and I don't' think I ever will finish it. ( )
  adorebooks | Jul 16, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I read some of the negative reviews because I like to see if I find any validity to opposing viewpoints, and I did. I can see where some of the parts of the book are redundant and drag somewhat--but I still liked it. Once the main character gets to the University (which is past the draggy parts) I was totally engaged. Having just finished the massive Wheel of Time series, I was not put off by the lack of conflict between the main forces of good and evil in the book. I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Good characters. Good world. Good writing. A good first book of a series. I wouldn't say it's perfect; the end plot is a little off kilter, but the rest of it is a pleasure. Looking forward to more. ( )
  TJWilson | Jun 24, 2014 |
This book was beautifully written and highly enjoyable. I highly recommend it to those who like fantasy novels. My only problem with it is that other fantasy novels didn't quite compare for a while after reading this. ( )
  RoseCrossed | Jun 20, 2014 |
This was an amazing fantasy. I haven't loved a book of this genre as much in years. I can't wait for the next one! ( )
  bonreads | Jun 11, 2014 |

Rothfuss, PatrickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read