The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) (edition 2009)

by Patrick Rothfuss

7,834381428 (4.39)2 / 500
Member:EvilNuff
Title:The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (359)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (377)
I liked the overall story of this book, but it was long, drawn out, and dry. Firstly, I did not like Kvothe! Not one bit thus ruining my chance of getting into the book. Maybe I could have gotten into it more if the story was told less from his perspective but from his perspective he was just so arrogant I couldn't stomach it. The writing wasn't bad, but not the greatest, so when Kvothe says (I'm paraphrasing) "I'm totes the best story teller ever". I rolled my eyes so hard I pulled a muscle. Basically, like all fantasy protagonists (I'm looking at you Aragorn), he is the most perfect, awesome guy ever, but coming from him this is just annoying. It worked for Aragorn and Ned Stark because they never say this themselves (and we know that it's not the case for Ned Stark in the end). I think my favorite part was about his childhood on the streets. If that was the whole book, it would be one of my new favorites. The bit about him at school was pretty interesting, but the interruptions of the narrative flow just killed all momentum for me.
I guess what I'm saying is that the frame story did not work for me. I would have preferred to read the story in chronological order (and in third person). This makes me sad because I really wanted to like this book, but sadly I didn't like it enough to even read the second book. In all honesty I read about four other books in the course of reading this book because I could barely keep the motivation to finish it. ( )
  jilliantow | Oct 22, 2014 |
Fantasy at its best! This is the story of Kvothe, a young talented boy who grows up to be one of the world's greatest wizards. Similar to Harry Potter, he goes to a University for wizards starting out as an underdog - destitute, alone, etc. What I really enjoyed is the vivid and detailed description of a very different world with very different rules. It is interestingly also told as a flashback by Kvothe himself, so you know that he survives all of his escapades. It's the first in a trilogy and I'm already reading book 2. The bad news? Book 3 is not suppose to come out until 2016!?! ( )
  jmoncton | Oct 11, 2014 |
Far more boring than I expected. Talk about taking forever and a day to get to the point of the book. The author has some interesting ideas, but takes ages and ages to explain them. I like many fantasy books, but I didn't like this one as much as I thought I would, given other reviews. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
The Name of the Wind lived up to the hype I heard about before entering the fantasy world spun by Patrick Rothfuss. It was a fun, entertaining read that has left me wanting to read the whole series (even if the last book is not out yet). I really enjoyed the POV format of this novel, with the majority of it being told by main character in first person past tense and the balance with multiple POV's in present tense. I probably would have given 5 stars to this book if the ending offered had more of a conclusion even though the story won;t be finished for several more books. I am looking forwad to the Wise Man's Fear and next years the Doors of Stone. ( )
  ConalO | Sep 21, 2014 |
I liked this book. I need to say that starting out because most of what I have to say about it feels like criticism. It is good, solid, fantasy genre work. Rothfuss tells a good story, and while his set up may be a bit mechanical (for instance, if he mentions a university rule in one chapter, you can bet that Qvothe will break it in the next chapter) the story-with-a-story structure does a good job to tell a long-ish tale without running out of steam.

This clearly falls into the school of epic fantasy founded by Robert Jordan. It scratches the same itches but falls short in some of the same areas as well. The weakest part of The Name of the Wind was the female characters and genre perspective. Rothfuss writes like a juvenile male. NOT, I should be clear to say, in the gratuitous T&A or flatus-jokes department, but in the "females belong on a pedestal" sense. He's so careful to adore his female characters, they don't feel human.

After listening to the Audible version, read by Nick Podehl, I wanted nothing more than to read some fiction in the genre written by a woman. Thus, The Habitation of the Blessed: A Dirge for Prester John, Volume One is next on my list.

The Name of the Wind is a good book, especially for a first novel. I fully expect Rothfuss to grow as a writer and for future books to feel much less man-childish. There is a lot here to like, especially for fans of the genre looking for an engaging plot with some interesting magic mechanics and not too much else to think about. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read