The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,717418348 (4.39)2 / 557
Title:The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 672 pages

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (397)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (416)
Fantasy, Recommendation
  StevenGen | Sep 7, 2015 |
"""We are the Edema Ruh
We know the songs the sirens sang
See us dream every tale true
The verse we leave with you
will take you home""

From time to time there comes a book that affects me in every possible way. A book that changes the way I think about life; about who I want to be; about my beliefs and values. What surprises me about The Name of the Wind being one of them is that, generally, fantasy books don't cause that effect on me. Don't get me wrong, I love the genre, but fantasy books, in general, are what I turn to when I want to relax, not when I want to get my world shattered into smithereens. On the other hand, this is why I love fantasy so much: some of it can be so strong so as to surprise me, even when I thought none of it could surprise me anymore. I'm so impressed that I can't begin to describe it. All I can do is try to influence as many people as I can to read this incredible story and be as speechless as I am.

From the start, we are introduced to Kvothe, who, to some, is a hero, to others a villain, depending on which stories they believe in. No one knows why, but he has hidden himself away at an inn in the middle of nowhere with his (apprentice?) Bast. The actual story begins when, at a certain day, a man self-entitled as the Chronicler enters the inn and finds out about Kvothe's true identity. The Chronicler asks for him to tell his story, which, to that point, he hasn't told anyone, even Bast. Kvothe agrees, but insists that his story will take three days to tell, and that the chronicler must write it down exactly as he tells it; short after, he begins to share his story: an abnormally intelligent child growing up around his parents' troupe, the Edema Ruh, performing plays across the land while being taught ""sympathy"", - a kind of magic - history, chemistry and other subjects by a tinker, Abenthy, who had been to the University - apparently, there is only one; to ending up homeless and penniless on the streets of Treban, a big port city. It's not until he's fifteen that he makes it to the University, and is accepted, though he's three years younger than is usual. Abenthy has taught him well, and combined with his impressive memory, natural talent, quick intelligence and training, he moves quickly up the ranks of the University.

There are many adventures and mishaps along the way, and while some plot lines come to a tidy end at the close of this novel, over-arching plot lines and themes have been given a solid foundation to continue on into the next books.

I can't think of the last time I was this impressed by a story or by a writer. Some people tend to compare it, considering its scope, to A Game of Thrones, but I fail to see the grounds for comparison. There is no denying the quality of Martin's writing and the magnificence of his books, but they seriously don't have anything to do with The Kingkiller Chronicle. The highlights of Martin's art are his incredible ability to create a complex and fully realized world, full of well developed, three-dimensional characters and his cold blood when it comes to connecting seemingly distant story lines, no matter what characters he has to get rid of to get there. Rothfuss is different. Yes, his characters are as good as Martin's, his world also fully developed and the way he throws background information at you is also, sometimes, overwhelming, but the similarities stop there.

First of all, this book is told under, uniquely, Kvothe's point of view, so the sense of connection with the character that you get, after only a few chapters, is also unique. Man, I remember being all teared-up while reading about Kvothe facing poverty and humiliation on the streets of Tarbean. Secondly, the subtle, yet direct way Rothfuss writes is his and his own. I am sure that everyone, while reading some book, has already felt that sensation that you are actually not reading anything, but watching the scenes registered by your eyes as a movie inside your head. No other author has ever made that experience stronger for me. I seriously cannot remember reading this book, even after so many pages; when I try, all that comes to mind are images, feelings, sensations. It's like the author has a unique talent of infusing his thoughts inside your head, using words as a flash drive.

Moreover, the way he doles out the various plots, revealing and hinting at the right moments, building up tension and anticipation, giving clues that start to coalesce into a stunning picture, is, frankly, impressive. The supporting cast, while not as fully explored as Kvothe (it is his story, after all), are in their own ways vividly portrayed and gradually explored. There's no chunky exposition or a description of a character shoved at you all at once. It's more a show-not-tell kind of book, appreciating the intellect of its audience and our ability to figure things out for ourselves. Nicely done.

About the story itself, the world-building is solid, believable and original - there're enough new elements to keep your interest, but not so many that you get confused and overwhelmed. The design of ""sympathy"" is original and unique, and makes so much sense that I'm half-surprised it doesn't really work. It takes knowledge, concentration and effort, so, in theory, anyone could learn. The writing style is smooth, the pacing just right, and the prose isn't cluttered with boring, irrelevant descriptions or pointless details. It's a fat book and a long story, but it flies by. I would totally recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy books.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.
It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.
When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.

The Last Passage
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
The first part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been horses stabled in the barn they would have stamped and champed and broken it to pieces. If there had been a crowd of guests bedded down for the night, their restless breathing and mingled snores would have gently thawed the silence like a warm spring wind. If there had been music... but no, of course there was no music. In fact there were none of these things, and so the silence remained.
Inside the Waystone a man huddled in his deep, sweet-smelling bed. Motionless, waiting for sleep, he lay wide-eyed in the dark. In doing this he added a small, frightened silence to the larger, hollow one. They made an alloy of sorts, a harmony.
The third silence was not an easy thing to notice. If you listened for an hour, you might begin to feel it in the thick stone walls of the empty taproom and in the flat, grey metal of the sword that hung behind the bar. It was in the dim candlelight that filled an upstairs room with dancing shadows. It was in the mad pattern of a crumpled memoir that lay fallen and unforgotten atop the desk. And it was in the hands of the man who sat there, pointedly ignoring the pages he had written and discarded long ago.
The man had true-red hair, red as flame. His eyes were dark and distant, and he moved with the weary calm that comes from knowing many things.
The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn's ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Though it lagged every now and again, a truly fantastic read. I would have read it all in one sitting if I didn't have to do things like eat and sleep! ( )
  AdorablyBookish | Aug 29, 2015 |
At the core of the story is a young student of magic who investigates the murder of his family.
The world is large and detailed, with believable characters and consistent magic rules. The hero is pretentious at times, but also charmingly kind and noble at heart.
I was fully immersed and taken by the story. A large part of it is left for the next book, but I would probably like to read the sequel anyway. ( )
  valdanylchuk | Aug 26, 2015 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read