The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles,…

The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1) (original 2007; edition 2009)

by Patrick Rothfuss

9,212442325 (4.4)2 / 575
Member:EvilNuff
Title:The Name of the Wind (Kingkiller Chronicles, Day 1)
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW Trade (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 672 pages

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (418)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (437)
The dedication to this book says something about "if you want to do something, take your time and do it right the first time." I thought that was a pretty arrogant thing for an author to say about his first published book. However, reading the book... well, it's completely justified.
This doesn't read like a first novel. The writing shows a mastery of the craft, and I was quickly fully immersed in Rothfuss' world.
It's long, and not a whole lot happens. Some readers might feel impatient with this, but I'm fine with it. (I also really like Umberto Eco's 'Island of the Day Before,' to which, by comparison, nearly any book is an action-packed, non-stop riot.) It's not nearly that slow! The important thing is that I enjoyed every minute of it - I was intrigued by Kvothe's character, and absorbed by his quest to research and uncover the mysteries of the enigmatic Chandrian.
If I had to compare Rothfuss' work to that of any other fantasist, it would be Carol Berg, whom I also love. But the voice here is definitely unique. I'll definitely be reading the sequel, whenever I can manage to get my hand on it! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
It was very slow to start, the first 50 pages were a bit dull. I was clueless about the story and who the characters were, so I found it didn’t grab my attention at the beginning. However, as I kept reading it went from strength to strength.

Rothfuss’ writing felt so poetic, it was so easy to read and visualise the world he was creating. I loved how Kvothe’s character and how the story evolved through his narration. I could not compare it to other fantasy books like I have seen other users doing, books such as Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings – it is an original story that can stand on its own.

I loved the highly unique way in which Rothfuss introduces the idea of dragons, and that was one of the elements that make this book stand out against other great books in the same genre. I feel like part 1 of Kvothe’s story is just a warm-up for the subsequent installments and I am expecting great things from book number 2.
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
A truly enjoyable read. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Recommended by Mr. Chevalier.
  EDHSLC | Feb 4, 2016 |
This book is easily 4.7 out of 5 stars. So, for Goodreads' sake, it gets the full 5. But, it's not perfect.

Most fantasy books fall in the Dark Ages, or the Renaissance, or Medieval times. They are typically knights, princesses, courts, wizards, magicians, dragons, and witches. They focus heavily on a magic system that drives the whole of the story. Usually, they're a collection of different stories, in a single world, that may or may not cross paths. It's very hard to find a very good fantasy book that breaks free from these stereotypes. Brandon Sanderson is one such author that seems to break free with ease. Patrick Rothfuss is another.

This book is none of those stereotypes. This book is a single point-of-view story of a single character, and his interactions with the outside world- love interests, enemies, mentors, teachers, family, friends, nature, creatures, architecture, science, and even magic. It's hard to pin down a time period for this book. It has a Renaissance feel to it, with the lute, lyre, taverns, and traveling troupes. But, it also has a very modern feel to it with lamps, magnets, and really just the whole science aspect of it.

In fact, that's what sets this book apart- its magic system is grounded in science. Yes, there's a mystical aspect to sympathy, sygaldry, alchemy, and naming, but each is solidly ground in science also. This makes the magic system near plausible. It's not epic magic. It's subtle, almost invisible, but you know it when you read it.

I read a number of 1-star reviews for this book, and it seems that people aren't familiar with the concept of a "heroic fantasy". This isn't an epic fantasy, urban fantasy, or any other sub-genre. It's strictly a heroic fantasy. This means that we have hero, who is far above average on near everything than the average character. Our character excels logically, artistically, and physically. Unfortunately, he fails emotionally, when it comes to women.

Other reviews seem to have not read the book. Like this review from Rob:

Writing quality. I found the quality of the prose very poor. Cliches abound, the author tells rather than shows, and the language is neither poetic nor elegant. So for those who find the writing quality high, I'd like to hear some examples of writing they feel is poor quality.

I found the quality of prose very high. Patrick had a clear knack of poetry and prose. Lyrics of songs were well thought through, and even the "feeling" of different songs. Such as the playful tavern song and easily memorable "Tinker Tanner" versus the darker nursery rhyme "Chandrian, Chandrian" versus the much more complex "The Lay of Sir Savien Traliard".

Never mind all the ad hoc poems and haiku recited throughout the story. Did Rob even read the book?

Content. I have no interest in wish fulfillment in fiction. So what other content does this novel offer me as a reader? Is there something in the plot or setting that makes this novel stand out to you as exceptional?

Then why did he read a heroic fantasy? Surely he knew what he was getting into when he read the book? Even the back of the book clearly hinted at this being a heroic fantasy:

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep. My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.

If that doesn't scream heroic fantasy, I'm not sure what does.

So, what content does this novel offer as a reader? When Patrick spins the stories of Kvothe, secretly I'm hoping that Kvothe gets his way, or I have the outcome predicted. Then, not only does Patrick confirm my hopes and desires, but over does it. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say, when he was "on the horns" or auditioning at the Eolian, or running after crazed creature in the forest, everything goes the way I wanted to, and it went so much better than I have anticipated.

You know this is what you want in books. We all do. We want something to work out for a character, or situation, and authors rarely give us what we want, because they don't want it to be too predictable or cliché. Patrick doesn't worry about that. What's more important is the story, and if it's predictable, so be it. However, why not make it predictable and amazing at the same time? Why not just give you your expectations, but surpass them several times over?

This made every experience Kvothe had absolutely fantastic to read. In fact, so many experiences had me fully immersed into the story, that I forgot I was actually reading. The images were playing out so well in my mind, that it was like watching a movie in my mind, and nothing in the outside world existed. It was me in the story, living the life the characters.

Patrick is a master of sentence, paragraph, and chapter control. The pace is so finely controlled, it makes it very hard to put down the book, even for a day. I have heard that Patrick is his own obsessive editor, and it shows. For a first book, it doesn't easily show. This books reads like a well seasoned author's master hand.

However, it's not perfect. There are some flaws. Some individual events are too convenient, almost as if he didn't fully think it through completely. It is slightly distracting, and a bit amateur. Also, some very American cultural-isms leaked into the story, which is hard to swallow, given this is a staged in a fictional world.

Lastly, the characters are not well defined. Some authors, like Brandon Sanderson, can easily write in individual characteristics. One character is clearly comic relief, another is complex and disturbing. One is the grandfather mentor, the other the menacing antagonist. You can get some many different character traits, that it's easy to immediately jump into the character.

Patrick's characters aren't shallow by any means, but they are less defined. Some, like Denna, have complex character traits, but when they are speaking on page, it's less obvious. I couldn't tell you, honestly, the difference between Willem, Simmon, and Manet when it comes to personalities. I could describe them to you, when it comes to gender, age, drinking habits, or where they spend their time. But I will struggle with explaining what they are "like", if that makes sense. As such, unless the character gets a good amount of page time, it's hard to easily separate one character from the other. They mesh together a bit too easily.

But this book reads very easy, and just coming off of "A Song of Ice and Fire", it's a welcomed relaxation. I've added this to my favorites. It's easily a book I would highly recommend, and one I would definitely read again. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read