The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

7,311None479 (4.4)2 / 483
Member:richardwarriner
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Author)

2009 (24) 2011 (37) adventure (49) coming of age (38) demons (34) ebook (58) epic (63) epic fantasy (90) fantasy (1,491) favorites (32) fiction (508) Kindle (56) Kingkiller Chronicles (151) Kvothe (26) magic (188) music (29) novel (54) own (36) paperback (28) read (86) read in 2011 (33) science fiction (35) series (94) sf (27) sff (57) signed (41) speculative fiction (27) to-read (238) university (24) unread (40)
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (333)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (349)
Boring, repetitive, long winded, chauvinist hero dream. ( )
  Saltvand | Apr 8, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

You know how sometimes a book, or a movie, or a concert gets so hyped up in the press and you have such high expectations that when you finally get around to reading/seeing it, it disappoints? That's what I was worried might happen when I decided to read The Name of the Wind. I purposely came to it late, hoping to wait until Patrick Rothfuss was nearly finished with the trilogy before I starting it. But, the book has received so much attention that it became inexcusable for me, as the editor of a fantasy review website, not to read it. So I did -- in two days. (It's a huge book.)

And I'm very happy to report that The Name of the Wind did not disappoint -- I was completely enthralled. The pace was quick and never lagged. The plot was tight and had just the right amount of mystery -- I always understood what was going on, but Rothfuss regularly added new elements, twists, and layers to keep me wondering where this was going and what would happen next. In fact, by the end of the book, there are more unanswered questions than answered ones. Throughout, the writing style was smooth and pleasant, with enough wit, humor, foreshadowing, and artistry to be intellectually stimulating, but never pretentious. Furthermore, the magic system in Rothfuss's world is thoroughly explained to us, bit by bit, and it is complicated and makes sense.

Perhaps most important, Mr Rothfuss writes excellent characters. I especially appreciated what he did with his hero. Kvothe's circumstances are familiar; he's an exceptionally bright kid whose parents are killed by something evil, nobody cares for him, he manages to get into magic school on long odds, he has trouble fitting in with both students and teachers, he makes two close friends and one rich and handsome enemy from a powerful family, he's obsessed with finding out about the evil people who killed his parents, he regularly gets punished for his exploits at school, he has no clue about girls, and he actually meets one who lives in the pipes under the school .... Hmmm... This does sound familiar.

But I'll bet that most people who read The Name of the Wind never thought of Harry Potter, because Kvothe and his world are new and refreshing. Kvothe is a product of his liberal education and a lot of time spent trying to survive on his own as a beggar. Sometimes he is selfish, sometimes he is cruel, sometimes he does the right thing. At one point in the book, while Kvothe was living on the streets, he had an opportunity to help someone in distress (a particular distress that Kvothe himself had experienced). I was nervous -- worried that Rothfuss would ruin his careful characterization by having Kvothe perform a heroic deed too soon. But, no, Kvothe pulled a Kitty Genovese, which gave me a deeper respect for Mr Rothfuss. During Kvothe's maturation, we see him make more right choices and fewer wrong ones, but he is complex and inconsistent enough to make us lack confidence that he's going to turn out okay. And that makes for a very interesting story.

I'm very much looking forward to continuing this mystery; so much so that I'll pre-order the hardback of The Wise Man's Fear (something I rarely do). Patrick Rothfuss is a much-needed bright young star in the fantasy field. Let's hope that he can keep it up!

Read more Patrick Rothfuss book reviews at Fantasy Literature ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Terrific on audio, too. Looking forward to reading The Wise Man's Fear in this format. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Need... more... ( )
  MilesVor | Apr 4, 2014 |
The blurb doesn't come close to describing the book. At all. There is a lot of mystery, heartache and hope running through the story. As the blurb says, the story is told by Kvothe as he tells it to a story teller/scribe person while sitting in a tavern. There are small sections in the present that hint of something big coming in the world. Something evil. There are also hints that Kvothe has lost his ability to work magic. All these little hints make the history telling weightier because you are looking for the clues.

It's a big book and once again it took me a while to read it. About two months, which is weird because I read all the Harry Potter books in twenty-four hours. (Told you my reader was broken.)

I think it took a while to read simply because of the pacing. This is the first book in an epic fantasy series. Rothfuss is not in any hurry, but that's okay. The word crafting is brilliant. His descriptions are wonderful without being over-bearing. We get to move through Kvothe's life and watch his character develop. Although nothing major (like a war or being chased for 500 pages) takes place, there are lots of smaller events that push Kvothe toward the great wizard that he will become.

There were many times that I wanted to move forward a little faster, but that's because I don't get a lot of time in my life to read. As a writer, this book was a great lesson in how to make slower pacing work. Each word was carefully chosen. Each phrase, sentence, paragraph, scene and chapter had a purpose and was beautifully written. The book worked wonderfully as a whole unit.

I've put the second book on my list of to read. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |

Rothfuss, PatrickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read