SantaThing sign up ends in 4 minutes (5:00 PM EDT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

10,042470284 (4.39)3 / 613
Member:richardwarriner
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (449)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  English (468)
Loved it. It was great listening to Kvoth's story. He tells of his happy childhood. His families murder, his struggles on his own, going to the university.
  nx74defiant | Dec 3, 2016 |
It has been a while since I read a long, epic fantasy novel. The sheer size of some of these books can be offputting and, to be frank, too many borrow from Tolkien and other past masters to make them anything other than retreads. But once in a while an author manages to wring something new from the old familiar tropes. Patrick Rothfuss just about manages the trick with The Name of The Wind.

This is the story of Kvothe, told by the man himself to the Chronicler, Devan Lochees, over the space of three days. Hence the first book's subtitle "Day One". Kvothe is no ordinary mortal. He's some kind of savant, good at everything he turns his hand to, be that acting, music, magic or fighting. This could make for a very smug, irritating character, but the genius of Rothfuss is to keep throwing tragedy at Kvothe, pulling the rug from under both his protagonist and the reader's feet.

Kvothe's family of travelling troupers are killed, he lives as a street urchin for a few years before showing up at The University to learn magic (or sympathy, as Rothfuss calls it). In some ways (well, quite a lot of ways actually) the majority of the book reads like an adult version of Harry Potter - young boy goes to wizarding school and has all kinds of adventures.

But Rothfuss (whisper it quietly) is a better writer than Rowling. His characters are more rounded, the emotional resonances deeper. The short chapters keep you turning the pages and the prose is fluid, easy to read. There is humour here as well as tragedy and action. The framing sequence, where Kvothe is an innkeeper in some out of the way village, hints at some huge fall from grace to come, and you want to keep reading to find out how he got there.

My only reservation is that Rothfuss keeps sending his hero out on side plots that don't really advance the crux of the plot - who killed his parents and why. So that's why it's only four stars and not five.

Volume three is currently being written so the end of the story is some way off, but I'll certainly be reading Day Two. How is the road to Tinuë? ( )
1 vote David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
This book was all the rage when it came out, and I can see why.

Even with my suspicion of epic fantasy and my general irritability with “part one of some indeterminate number,” you simply can't get around the compelling voice of Kvothe, telling his own story.

Truthfully, I'm surprised there haven't been calls for Rothfuss's head for the delay in getting out book two. Once you're under his spell, you're well and truly hooked. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
Fantastic. Which is surprising, considering nothing actually happens in real time in this book. It's probably the longest, most engaging book I've ever read that's 99% flashback.

Unfortunately, I'm unsure whether I want to continue this series because I feel like the third book has fallen into the black hole. ( )
  wildrequiem | Oct 28, 2016 |
There are already a great many reviews of this book, so I see no point in adding to them. Instead I'll relate the reason I picked it up.

Oddly enough, I first heard about Patrick Rothfuss because of a line in a song on the latest Nightwish album (Nightwish is a Finnish symphonic metal band, and if you don't already know about them but you do like epic, symphonic music and a singer who actually knows her stuff, you should check them out). Anyway, the song mentions the Edema Ruh. Since the album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful) is mainly about the evolution of life on Earth, I wondered what this Edema Ruh thing was. I was completely bewildered, so I looked it up on the magical repository of all human knowledge--the internet. I figured it was probably some obscure extinct marsupial or something like that. It isn't. The Wikipedia entry said it's from a fantasy series by some guy named Rothfuss.

I checked out the blurb for the book, and dismissed it as just another epic fantasy series (yawn). Not long after that, someone mentioned Rothfuss in a Discworld forum (Discworld is a series by Terry Pratchett, which is NOT just your typical fantasy, much to my delight). Still, I didn't bite.

Then, months later, someone on Facebook posted a link to an article Rothfuss wrote on the recent death of Terry Pratchett. Rothfuss, apparently, was a huge fan.

Well, I figured if he appreciated Pratchett, maybe his books were a bit different from most epic fantasy. And, since Nightwish thought enough of him to mention his work in a song, and since Discworld fans liked his stuff, I'd give it a try.

I was not disappointed. Perhaps it was because I was looking for it, but I think I noticed a bit of Pratchett influence in the characters, dialogue, and prose. The first are well developed and likable. The second is full of witty banter. And the third is well above the norm. This is a good book. I'm reading the second in the series now. ( )
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.
Все началось со страха. Однажды, вернувшись с лесной прогулки, юный Квоут, актер из бродячей труппы, нашел на месте разбитого на ночь лагеря страшное пепелище. И изуродованные трупы друзей-актеров, его странствующей семьи. И тени странных созданий, прячущихся во мраке леса. Так впервые в жизнь юноши вторгаются чандрианы, загадочное племя, чьим именем пугают детей и о жутких делах которых рассказывается в древних преданиях. Теперь отыскать убийц и воздать им по заслугам становится целью Квоута. Но чтобы воевать с демонами, нужно овладеть знаниями, недоступными для простого смертного, — изучить магическое искусство и научиться повелевать стихиями…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read