The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

7,644370445 (4.4)2 / 494
Member:richardwarriner
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Author)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (351)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (367)
BLOG POST: http://chaibooks.blogspot.ca/2014/06/review-name-of-wind.html

What more can I say about this novel that hasn't been said already? Simply put, this novel is a masterpiece. It truly is a work of art.
Basically, The Name of the Wind is an absolutely beautiful narrative about a legend named Kvothe. As a gross simplification, it's a retelling of his life from boyhood.

The Characters? I don't know how all the characters in The Name of the Wind managed to be so fully-fleshed out. Every. Single. Character. Even the minor characters such as merchants, or quick acquaintances felt so real. Each character was so interesting and stood out.
Kvothe was a wonderful protagonist. It was a privilege discover his mysterious and heartbreaking past. He is a legend, and he was shaped and molded into the stuff of fairy-tales and we got to see a sneak peak as to how. He is extremely intelligent and talented in so many areas. I had faith in Kvothe! I felt like I knew him. He is a great protagonist.

The Setting? Beautiful. The Name of the Wind is not only for those who are fans of fantasy... It is for anyone who wishes for a brilliant escape into another world. From the colorful and magical travels with the troupe, to the dark and dangerous streets of Tarbean, to the prestigious and ethereal airs of the University and Archives... This world was magnificent, to say the least.

The Plot? Dazzling. I can honestly say that I lost myself in this book. I loose all sense of time as the only things I could think about when I wasn't reading The Name of the Wind was what Kvothe was doing. I laughed, I cheered, and I gasped out loud, and I might have cried. I didn't have to do any work at all... Rothfuss carried me through with his beautifully crafted story.
I especially love the system of magic that Rothfuss uses. It takes intelligence, concentration, and a whole lot of talent for one to successfully use magic. I love how science such as chemistry and mathematics are weaved seamlessly into magic.

Overall?The Name of the Wind lives up to it's hype. It is an authentic and exciting journey of a young boy. It carried me through emotions that I didn't know I could feel while reading a book. It is an absolute masterpiece, and I could honestly recommend it to almost anyone, regardless of their preference in genres. Excuse me as I pick up the second novel in the Kingkiller Chronicles... ( )
  Naomi_ChaiBooks | Aug 20, 2014 |
Patrick Rothfuss brings alive all the moments and experiences that are often glazed over in Fantasy and manages to weave them together into a book that is so easy to read it feels like a stroll though the park. His skill with prose and creating a fully realised world wherever he places his characters is obvious and it is an absolute joy to be able to let go and be taken on a journey. Whether in the forest, on a roof, in a bar or in a library, everything feels real and completely imaginable. Not since reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman have I felt so comfortable with trusting the driver and enjoying the ride.

Patience is an important part of this book, for some of the characters and the reader, who are both eager to hear the story of Kvothe, a man of great renown about who much is spoken as legend but little known as fact. Telling the story is an Innkeeper called Kote who knows it truest, as it is his own. After a fairly leisurely introduction where we get a feel for the man he has become whilst we wait to hear about the man he was, we learn he has had many names because of his many experiences and so his will be a tale of many stories.

Our companions in hearing the tale are a man, or something far more, who goes by the name Bast and a storyteller who has come seeking the tale of Kvothe known as the Chronicler. When he asks to hear the tale he is told it will take three full days to tell properly.

The idyllic nature of his life at the beginning is of course too good to be true, but despite knowing this, it is next to impossible not to form a close emotional link with Kvothe and his family. They are wonderful people and they sing and play and perform together and their love for each other is infectious. Usually in a book like this I am thinking where are the swords and the fights but in this I was eagerly looking for the next time he played his lute or even practiced.

Sadly his father’s insistence on finding a song for an ancient evil, the Chadrian, brings them into a darker world. Parts of this book were so sad and when Kvothe broke out of his tale and took a moment, so did I. The thought of this big man weeping out the back of his tavern was enough for me to put the book down for a bit and just reflect.

A great tragedy of Kvothes life is that he never quite gets the girl he loves, yet even more tragic is that despite knowing almost from day one that she could never be his, he cannot help but follow his heart and care for her. Rothfuss does a great job of getting us attached to a character, mirroring the relationship they have with Kvothe, and then taking them away so we also feel that sense of loss and emptiness that they are gone.

A couple of negatives for me were that at times it felt a bit repetitive with many moments beginning and ending with him looking for Denna. I also found Kvothe’s fight with the Draccus (a large fire breathing herbivore) an odd part as I didn’t find it added to the plot much. Selfishly I’d also like to have more happen. As much as I loved the prose I expected a little more scope and action to the first book and for Kvothe to be in a different place at the end than he was in the beginning.

Overall a fantastic book, I can see what all the fuss was about and I cannot wait to pick up The Wise Man’s Fear.....which I am doing right now.

4.5 stars ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
If I could give this book ten stars, I would. I couldn't put it down, and as soon as I finish typing this I'm off to the library to get the second one. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
A lot of my friends have recommended & raved about this book for ages. Most gave it 5 stars & prattled on about how great Kvothe is as a hero. I thought it was a pretty good story, but I certainly wasn't overwhelmed by it. In a nut shell, the structure tends to ruin the story for me.

The book starts out in a small town in the 'now' of a fantasy world. We quickly find out that Kvothe is in hiding & he starts telling his entire life story. Variations of this have worked well for some of my favorite books, so that wasn't a problem - except it was. Spoilers are the biggest issue an author needs to avoid, but Rothfuss seems to revel in them. I HATE spoilers, but he tells us what will happen, just not exactly how. Worse, there are irregular intermissions back into the present that disrupt the flow & add more spoilers.

There isn't a lot opportunity for good characterization & most of those are passed up. There are a few interesting ones in the 'now', but we don't spend enough time getting to know them. The rest are described by Kvothe which makes them rather two dimensional since he's pretty self centered. That would be OK, but Kvothe is the only one who ever gets whipped, beat up, or has a run in with a teacher. If others had faced similar problems it could have rounded out many of the secondary characters & the world much better. It also made some of his claims those of a petulant child. ("I wanted it SO much, but the mean teacher banned me & it wasn't fair! Not my fault!")

On the plus side, Rothfuss managed a far higher page count than I would have expected without losing me. Part of that is a very interesting system of magic & a huge world with a lot of interesting creatures, customs, & history. On the downside, I quickly knew that I was going to have to read at least 2 more books to get the whole story & the third hasn't been published yet - one reason I've held off reading it for so long.

I'm going to read the second book & buy the first in paper so my wife can read it. I have an ebook, but Marg doesn't like them since they're a PITA to flip back in. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Extraordinary adventure, hugely entertaining. ( )
  Matt_B | Aug 17, 2014 |

Rothfuss, PatrickAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read