The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

8,642417351 (4.39)2 / 556
Member:richardwarriner
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, Book 1 (The Inheritance Trilogy) by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (393)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (412)
Can't wait to read the next in the series. ( )
  hoorayforreading | Aug 25, 2015 |
Awesome fantasy world, amazing writing, great characters and all the awesome foreshadowing! ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
This was a long overdue re-read. I first read this book six years ago and enjoyed it, but never really understood the hype it had gotten. But I found that I enjoyed this novel a lot more the second time around and am very glad that I gave this one a re-read. It even gained a star!

Now it's on to the sequel, finally. Something I've been meaning to do since it came out a few years ago. I'm interested to see where book two (or day two I suppose) will take Kvothe.

The things that still bother me and that keep this novel from a full five star rating: Kvothe is great at just about anything he tries and it gets annoying. That isn't to say he doesn't have faults because he most certainly does, but not when it comes to learning, music, acting, magic, etc, etc. He's just good at everything. And then there's his favorite line "you wouldn't understand if you've never..." Because clearly he's done it all.

I do enjoy Rothfuss' writing, however, and the concept of the story and mystery behind the Chandrian intrigue me and will keep me reading. ( )
  blue_fantasy | Aug 5, 2015 |
Good and gripping fantasy. I like it. ( )
  Mautisim | Jul 24, 2015 |
Epic fantasy! A bit over-blown sword, magic and romance of a young adult nature. Stories within stories! ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
ORTEGA, GEMMA; ROVIRATranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read