The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

10,395484276 (4.39)3 / 627
Member:dom_oh
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read 2012
Rating:***

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

Recently added byaboan, DoddSue, JonGB, private library, bananatarakota, Rena37, ForeverMasterless, phildini, glendalea
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (463)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (482)
The Name of the Wind is THE fantasy book I've been wanting to read. I've seen great reviews of it almost everywhere, and I was really excited to get a chance to read it.

We're introduced to the protagonist Kvothe (Kote), who owns a bar in a village in the middle of nowhere. However, he's actually a great hero of the times who's hiding from the world. When one of the most influential scribes in the world, Chronicler, comes to his inn seeking him, Kvothe agrees to tell him the story of his life, but insists that it would take three days to tell. This book covers Day One.

This is an epic book, not because of what happens, but because of the way it's told. Kvothe tells of his childhood, how he made his way into the university, and his adventures at the university. The world is rich and the pacing of the story is spot on. A lot of things look like they're going to be predictable, but get unexpectedly overturned. (Kvothe is quite genre savvy.) I don't really want go into details, since I don't want to spoil the story.

The framing story is also exciting (and building up slowly.) There is a war on, and evil creatures are making their way to Kvothe's village, sooner than expected. Meanwhile, Bast, Kvothe's apprentice, is very worried about his master, since he just appears to be waiting to die.

The characters are terrific - Kvothe makes an extremely believable protagonist, and the supporting cast is (mostly) just as wonderful - Ambrose seemed a bit over the top, but still plausibly so.

The only problem I had with this story is that not that much epic fantasy happened. I'm not even sure if it's a problem, since it was well paced and well written, and a good change from other typical fantasy. I can't wait for The Wise Man's Fear! ( )
  kgodey | Apr 11, 2017 |
A wonderfully written tale of fantasy and adventure. Book one of a three book series, this book tells the tale of Kvothe, a legend, through the words of Kvothe himself. A feeling of somberness permeates this book, which lends an air of destiny to the proceedings. Throughly entertaining, wonderfully paced, it's difficult to wait until the next book of the series arrives. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Immediately gripping, but so dense and thick and intimidating I'm slogging through it disappointingly slow. Denna-chapters were painfully boring - they almost guaranteed nothing interesting would happen. I don't include the dragon-chapters, because she was out-cold and barely a decoration throughout these chapters. As far as the dragon chapters go, I was exceedingly disappointed that this chapters comprised what could reasonably be considered the climax. If you don't consider this the climax, than the battle in the inn against the skin-walker demon is - in which case I'm *more* disappointed. The frame story holds no interest for me. ( )
  benuathanasia | Mar 24, 2017 |
When the text makes you feel the music the character plays... it's because it's good, insanely good. No major evil, war or else in the forefront of the story, simply the story of one man, and it's delicious. I read so many fantasy books in my years that nothing seems good anymore, this book IS good. ( )
  kinwolf | Feb 26, 2017 |
This is one of the best books I have ever read. Its very well written, with seamless transitions and amazing character development. If you are looking for a great fantasy series you cannot get better than this one. He just needs to come out with the third book already! ( )
  Joegirl | Feb 13, 2017 |

Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.
Все началось со страха. Однажды, вернувшись с лесной прогулки, юный Квоут, актер из бродячей труппы, нашел на месте разбитого на ночь лагеря страшное пепелище. И изуродованные трупы друзей-актеров, его странствующей семьи. И тени странных созданий, прячущихся во мраке леса. Так впервые в жизнь юноши вторгаются чандрианы, загадочное племя, чьим именем пугают детей и о жутких делах которых рассказывается в древних преданиях. Теперь отыскать убийц и воздать им по заслугам становится целью Квоута. Но чтобы воевать с демонами, нужно овладеть знаниями, недоступными для простого смертного, — изучить магическое искусство и научиться повелевать стихиями…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read