The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

9,652457299 (4.39)3 / 600
Member:dom_oh
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback
Collections:Read 2012, Your library
Rating:***

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (437)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (456)
Once he was Kvothe the Bloodless, legendary hero of stories. Now, he's just Kote the innkeeper, running a tavern in the middle of nowhere. Who or what he's hiding from is unknown, but Kvothe is soon discovered by Chronicler, a scribe he rescues from a horde of monstrous spiders. Kvothe agrees to tell his own story to Chronicler over the course of three nights, each a book in Patrick Rothfuss's "Kingkiller Chronicle."

At first, The Name of the Wind comes of as yet another Medieval Europe inspired fantasy, with taverns, castles, troupers, and fairies. However, about a fourth of the way in, something just "clicks." A tragic event happens that shakes Kvothe's life, and the intricate mythology of this world is slowly revealed.

The story really picks up when Kvothe enters the massive University. While the idea of a school for magic is not new, its treatment as a serious subject of scholarship comes off feeling fresh . The idea of sympathetic magic is not unique either, but the way its presented feels believable here.

Kvothe himself is actually a surprisingly well-rounded protagonist. While he does possess natural talents for music and Sympathy, his hubris actually gets him into trouble more often than not. Also, as Kvothe is the one telling the story, it's quite possible the reader gets a biased view of events.

The theme of stories and their power pervades, going beyond Kvothe's own tale to the religious mythology of this world and the main villains of the story. There's also an amusing look at how some of Kvothe's adventures have become exaggerated legends told in tavern taprooms.

This is a pretty satisfying read, despite a ton of unsolved mysteries and plot threadsl= left dangling at the end. The fact that these mysteries are so interesting and engrossing that the next book is an absolute must as well. ( )
  lisally | Jul 15, 2016 |
Should you read this book? YESSSSSSS. ( )
  CosimaS | Jul 3, 2016 |
LOTR fans would love this book. Rothfuss has a gift creating characters of depth and color. ( )
  NekoMonster | Jul 1, 2016 |
This book was recommended to me several times by friends. I'm glad I listened and picked it up. This is a slower story, but that is an advantage as Rothfuss actually paces everything quite well. The writing is engaging and beautifully done. While I wouldn't peg this as a funny book overall, there are points in the story where I laughed out loud. The minor character Elodin is now one of my favorites. I'd strongly recommend this book to fans of fantasy, and also to those who think this might not be their genre. It is a well told story, which is all that really matters. I'll certainly read the rest of the series. ( )
  EllsbethB | Jun 29, 2016 |
Behind the bar of the well kept tavern of a small town stands a legend with fiery hair and green eyes. With these expressive green eyes flitting between muted, watered down intensity and the sharpness of the greenest grass, our legend sweeps and polishes with seeming devotion to a job well done or at least to the distraction such a thing offers.

When a local is attacked along the road by a fierce and fearsome creature, the hero hidden in plain sight genre trope of high fantasy begins to bloom. He knows about this creature and he fears what its appearance means. Thus, origin mystery meets action and intrigue and is further provoked by the arrival of a scribe on the scene. As the scribe realizes he has stumbled across the Kvothe, a man of many names and layered reputation, he sets himself to persuade Kvothe to tell his story. Eventually acquiescing, Kvothe's narrative begins.

I typically enjoy high fantasy novels. Yes, an extensive use of genre tropes and the prevalence of anti-feminist, cookie-cutter female portrayals can send me into a lather just like many other readers. However, a love of folklore, magic, and myth tends to keep me coming back for more. Which is probably why I marked the rest of this series as to-read even as I debated whether this book was more a two or three star read. I'm a series junkie; one that's always going to get addicted to character outcomes and/or origins and one that desperately hopes that any disappointments of a previous book will be magically resolved in further installations.

Don't look at me like that, Barnabas. Just consider my hopes and dreams my own high fantasy and go drink someone annoying.

As I was saying, disappointments... while slow at points, I found the method of a hero relating his own backstory as an oral narrative pretty interesting. It calls for an introspective connection between author and character that can make or break a reader's ability to relate to said character. That being said, there were parts that read awkwardly to me. For one, total recall of a conversation in an oral narrative can come off as a bit spotty - total recall of all conversations even more so. Secondly, I found Kvothe's ego excessively off-putting at times. While the fact that Kvothe is relating the events of his youth does offer a bit of a balm against such rapt self-importance, it still ended up distancing me from him at times. I don't think it would have been such an issue if it wasn't fairly repetitive throughout. I don't particularly gravitate to the infallible hero/heroine but I don't mind the revelation of abilities and intellect as long as it's not constantly thrown up at me from the page as if it's become filler rather than the relevant build of a character.

From reading reviews, I know the lack of female characters has been mentioned as a con of this book. I wasn't really bothered by the lack, more the portrayal of those included. They're all "of a type" and it became boring fairly quickly. However, thinking more about these females that Kvothe gravitates towards throughout his narrative afterwards, my opinion changed a bit. Since he is relating his origin and his experiences as a teen, it makes sense that the girls he would be drawn to tend to mirror various aspects of his mother. As the men and other male teens he looks up to or enjoys being with mirror aspects of his father. It may be an obvious portrayal of the psychology of relationships we tend to build whilst grieving such a huge loss but it's accurate enough for me to presume this was Rothfuss taking his character's grief into account. Still, I did want more backstory and depth in supporting characters and hope the following books bring that into the fore.

I did enjoy Denna and Bast in particular and, as I finished the book, found myself wanting more of them in particular. I also enjoyed Rothfuss' ability to relay Kvothe's insecurities. Yes, on the surface Kvothe consistently mentioning how poor he is, how he doesn't know how he's going to make it, how different his situation is from that of other students, etc. is wearing. However, there is a lot that goes into that umbrella-topic of having or not having money. It's about being poor and struggling to survive and attain but it's also about not having the family or background of his peers, that which he can't attain or win back, what he's lost; it's just easier for Kvothe to focus on the reality of a coin in his purse instead of the surrounding issues. So for me this felt like a relation of several layers of introspection and stress rather than the constant reminder that Kvothe is poor, Kvothe doesn't have this or that, poor Kvothe.

Rothfuss' Name of the Wind has its issues and I think it's a like it or hate it kind of book for high fantasy readers. I happened to like it for the most part and hope to read more of the series soon. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read