The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

9,437447310 (4.39)2 / 590
Member:dom_oh
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback
Collections:Read 2012, Your library
Rating:***

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (426)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (445)
This book has restored my faith that there are, in fact, still good fantasy novels out there waiting to be discovered. I loved every minute spent reading this book and my only regret is that I will have to wait so long for the third book to be released.

Another original fantasy I loved: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
The Name of the Wind is one of those books that's received a ton of hype for years and has been both on my radar and on my shelf to read for quite some time. For the past couple of years it's collected dust on my bookshelf largely because I felt a little daunted and wary of picking up a sprawling epic fantasy. This is the first book in (at least) a trilogy of books telling the life history of Kvothe (pronounced to rhyme with "quoth"). Seeing the book clock in at over 700 pages and knowing there are at least 2 additional books, I was a bit uncertain if I wanted to take the risk on that kind of investment (having been burned in the past by other sweeping fantasy tales that fell flat after hundreds and hundreds of pages). Still, the hype continued to build and so I finally picked it up and dove in.

The first thing I noticed is that the style, voice and language of this book are unlike many other fantasy books (and even many other novels) that I've read. In many ways, it doesn't feel like the stereotypical fantasy novel most people would expect. The author, Patrick Rothfuss, has an almost poetic style in that he adds flourish and stylistic elements to otherwise mundane sentences. There have been some books I've read where an author tries to do this and it comes off as pretentious. Fortunately here, the author presents his language casually and with enough fluidity that it made for a beautifully enjoyable reading experience that really made the world and the stories more vibrant and interesting. Additionally, Rothfuss' story includes many mundane details that most fantasy tales disregard...the banality of daily life such as eating, working, shopping, etc. In that regard it felt more like a sprawling 19th century fiction from someone like Charles Dickens rather than a 21st century high fantasy novel with magic and demons. To me, this was a very refreshing and exciting change but I can see where some readers might get bored or bogged down with the more methodical storytelling in place of constant intrigue, action and adventure.

The story is broken into a couple of different plot lines. We have the "present day" in which Kvothe is the owner/operator of a small wayside inn and bar tucked into an average little village. We catch a few glimpses early on that tell us he is more than a simple innkeeper/barkeep. These glimpses expand as a man known as the Chronicler shows up and asks permission to interview and write the biography of Kvothe the adventurer. This begins the second plot line told in Kvothe's own voice beginning during his early childhood with a traveling group of performers (Rothfuss' version of gypsies). We learn of his aptitude for acting, music and his interest in the magical science known as "sympathy" which he studied under a scholar traveling with the troupe. His passion for learning leads to a desire to go to University to learn more. His plans are struck with a major detour when tragedy strikes the troupe and sends Kvothe into homeless poverty. Once he eventually makes his way to University, he has more struggles to try and work his way into the system and become all he wants to become. The historical story is interrupted from time to time with Kvothe taking a brief break to deal with things in the inn...which provides opportunity for some foreshadowing/reminiscing that provide minor hints and spoilers of things to come.

The book did have a few sequences of high action-adventure but being spread over the course of 700+ pages, the book generally moved at a slow, methodical pace. Often we sit alongside Kvothe as he struggles to obtain the bare essentials such as food, clothing or shelter. Other times we are with him as he studies and learns to master the magical science of "sympathy" or researches and investigates the strange race of beings known as the Chandrian who are responsible for so much fear, destruction and tragedy in the world. Mostly though, we spend the book learning more and more about the nature of Kvothe as a person...the person he was as a child, the adult adventurer he hopes to (and eventually 'does') become and the person he is "now" (at the inn, narrating his story). These three distinct personas are all intriguing and yet they are distanced from one another in such a way that compels the reader to continue on with the story in an effort to reconcile the transition from each stage of Kvothe's life into the next.

As I read the book, I loved it more and more. I had a few people ask about my reading and when I told them what the book was and recommended that they give it a try, they said something like "Oh, but I don't really like fantasy." I tried to explain to them that this is a "different" kind of fantasy novel. I really do feel like this might be the kind of fantasy book Charles Dickens might write if given the challenge. It focuses on the language...on the personal dealings of the central character...on the minute comings and goings of life. There were times when I set the book down after an hour of reading having thoroughly enjoyed the experience. But as I then thought about plot progression or what sort of rising action happened, I realized that there wasn't a lot of action that I could put forth as a compelling argument to somebody looking for the "summer action blockbuster" kind of story. This leaves me stuck in the middle as far as how to recommend this book to others (hence my rambling review). I'm hesitant to recommend it to everyone because I know some will be turned off by the "fantasy" elements (even though they feel minimized by the art of good storytelling) and others who may love "fantasy" may be turned off due to the slower pace of the action or the lacking of what they may consider more sweeping elements of high fantasy.

Personally, I really loved the book. I thoroughly enjoyed the vibrant and elegant language. I am intrigued by the interesting mythos that Rothfuss has created in terms of the way he handles magic, the dynamics of society/culture and the "fantasy" beings we've seen so far. I've had fun getting to know Kvothe and trying to unravel him as a character. There's still a lot of character development I'm waiting to see with him, mainly to try and reconcile the differences between his childhood, past adulthood and "present" adulthood. I do feel like the development of some of the other main characters is lacking a bit though that lacking may be partially due to the overemphasis on Kvothe since he's the one narrating the story and thus it's "all about him." Still, I hope for more development of some of the other characters, particularly Denna and Bast. I look forward to reading the other books in the series. I know this review really rambled a bit but hopefully it gives you some sense of what to expect in terms of the "feel" of the book. I really think it's the sort of book that almost anybody should be able to enjoy as long as they get over any stereotypical prejudices they might have before picking it up and really give it a chance. It truly was a joy to read.

*****
4.5 out of 5 stars ( )
  theokester | Apr 20, 2016 |
Didn't live up to the hype. Kvothe is one seriously annoying main character, infuriatingly perfect little ginger snowflake with an appropriately predictable tragic past. The story starts okay but starts dragging along once he gets to the university and ends up going absolutely nowhere.

I liked Bast though, and the frame narrative was fairly interesting, which is why I stretched it to 3 stars instead of 2. ( )
  thedreadcat | Apr 9, 2016 |
This is a very well written book. I am not usually into epic fantasies, but this is so well written that I can't help myself. Also, it doesn't have a "high" fantasy feel to it, which I really like. No wonder his second book is already on the best seller list. Some are comparing him to Tolkien, but I think its a bit early to make that comparison. I encourage you to take a chance on this book. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The first time I tried to read this book, it was because it was the hot new book out and because I'd just seen Pat Rothfuss at a con and thought he was cool. But I couldn't finish it... because it was a 14 day book from the library and let's face it, the book is not short!

This time around I took my time and was MUCH happier with it. Rothfuss can really, really write. Occasionally I think he goes into a bit to much detail about something (example: buying a horse that's out of the story in a chapter), but in general I was generally sucked into the plot and interested in the characters. The protagonist has good and bad points, does smart and stupid things, and generally acts like an all-around Real Person, which I find wonderful. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read