The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

10,708496261 (4.39)3 / 631
Member:dom_oh
Title:The Name of the Wind
Authors:Patrick Rothfuss
Info:DAW (2007), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read 2012
Rating:***

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (2007)

Recently added byAnn27, ash85, jcogar12, crasspanama, sarafleq, private library, Cleo023, terrythomas, Whylynnelf
    The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Song of the Beast by Carol Berg (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: A gifted bard, and a dark and twisty story with magic, music, and dragons
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (TomWaitsTables)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (475)  Spanish (12)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Greek (1)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All (494)
Winner of the Quill Award in 2007 and named one of the Best Books of the Year in 2007 by Publisher’s Weekly, this novel opens The Kingkiller Chronicles by introducing Kvothe, a magician and musical prodigy who turns the world on its head.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jul 24, 2017 |
Well the thing asks, "What did you think?" Many things come to mind not the least of which is a huge thank you for originality in this exquisitely crafted fantasy world; and to compliment that without mentioning the delicious story line would diminish all that Pat has created.

The other thought that draws attention is the fact that Pat brings us through Kvothe's life from childhood and we fall in love with him early on and are hooked forever both seeing his life in the present and past in this beautifully designed story within itself full of tragedy and triumph.

I will say no more to preserve the integrity of this recommendation and simply say, read this as soon as you can and do your best not to gain any info on the story beforehand. This story is excellent and can only achieve a higher regard if read with zero prior knowledge of the story.

Turn off all but that one dim lamp, shimmy yourself into the comfy spot with your warm tea at your side and let Pat briskly walk you into a story the likes of which may very well change your reading life.

Great job Pat, looking forward to #3! ( )
  TylerWandschneider | Jul 9, 2017 |
I read this book for the first time at least 10 years ago. It was so good I bought a copy and there it has sat ever since. I finally got to a point where I had time to read it...at 736 pages it's not a quick read. I had forgotten how beautiful and amazing this story is. The story is about Kvothe, child of traveling performers and he is brilliant. He learns from an arcanist that is traveling with his troupe and what started this relationship was when he saw his teacher call theh wind and he knew this was something he had to learn. Eventually tradgedy hits the troupe and he finds himself alone and begging on the streets for years and finally makes his way into the university based on his intelligence and wits. His driving desire to learn more about what caused the tradgedy that befell his family is what drives him to keep learning. If you liked Harry Potter, The Magicians and Game of Thrones...this book is for you. I will definitely be reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Jul 8, 2017 |
I tried really hard to get into this book. It came highly recommended, which is the only reason I made it past the second chapter. The writing could do with a much better editor, fewer cliches, a quarter of the awful similes, and some actually believable and fleshed out characters. I can tell the author has an undergraduate degree in English because of the poor use and overuse of very tired tropes straight out of British Lit 201. At the moment the tribe of pickpockets (which I'm sure were in no way supposed to remind me of Oliver Twist wink wink) answered to a man named Dicken, I was done. There was almost nothing redeeming in this book, with the exception of a fairly realistic portrayal of grief. ( )
  kaelirenee | Jul 6, 2017 |
This was an epic story set in an alternate universe. Kvothe is now a simple innkeeper trying to keep his colorful past to himself, but agrees to tell the story of his life to the visiting Chronicler. The story will take three days to tell, and this first book covers the first day telling of his story. As a child, Kvothe was one of the Edema Ruh (travelling performers). When his parents along with the entire troup of performers are killed by mystical beings called the Chandrian, Kvothe ends up a beggar child on the streets of the large city of Tarbean. Once grown into a teenager, Kvothe becomes determined to learn more about the Chandrian and become an arcanist. He makes his way to University, where his quick aptitude and cleverness win him both friends and powerful enemies. He also falls for a young woman named Denna, a girl with a mysterious past who seems to come and go without warning. Kvothe is a fascinating and sympathetic character. Luckily the author avoided the mistake of making him perfect -- Kvothe acts rashly at times without thought for the consequences, is given to self-pity and suffers from a bit too much pride. The secondary characters are competently rendered if not too finely drawn; I'd be happier if Kvothe's two University friends featured larger in the story. I don't entirely trust Denna, but I'm willing to see where that storyline will end up. The story itself is imaginative and engrossing, and it says a lot about this tale that it managed to retain my interest after 700 pages. I'll look forward to the next book. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |

Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ribeiro, VeraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rovira Ortega, GemmaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

AR Level 5.1, 39 pts.
Все началось со страха. Однажды, вернувшись с лесной прогулки, юный Квоут, актер из бродячей труппы, нашел на месте разбитого на ночь лагеря страшное пепелище. И изуродованные трупы друзей-актеров, его странствующей семьи. И тени странных созданий, прячущихся во мраке леса. Так впервые в жизнь юноши вторгаются чандрианы, загадочное племя, чьим именем пугают детей и о жутких делах которых рассказывается в древних преданиях. Теперь отыскать убийц и воздать им по заслугам становится целью Квоута. Но чтобы воевать с демонами, нужно овладеть знаниями, недоступными для простого смертного, — изучить магическое искусство и научиться повелевать стихиями…

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read