The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of the Wind (edition 2007)

by Patrick Rothfuss

Info:DAW (2007), Paperback
Collections:Read 2012, Your library
Rating:***

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (bikeracer4487, ninjamask)
    The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett (jm501)
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: Both fascinating first-person accounts of a boy growing up with strong magical powers. Both find loyal friends and face a teacher with a vendetta against them.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (Konran, Jannes)
    Jannes: Rothfuss draws inspiration from many sources, but to me no influence is so evident as that from the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (MyriadBooks, Anonymous user)
    Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Legend by David Gemmell (infiniteletters)
    Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher (nookbooks)
    The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (gtfernandezm)
    gtfernandezm: Both are strong first person narrated adventures of out-of-place heroes, and take familiar fantasy tropes and deconstruct them with intelligence and some wit.
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (Anonymous user)
    Colours in the Steel by K. J. Parker (WildMaggie)
    The Curse of the Mistwraith by Janny Wurts (SockMonkeyGirl)
    A Crucible of Souls (Book One of the Sorcery Ascendant Sequence) by Mitchell Hogan (Friederike.Geissler)
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker Reichert (one-horse.library)
    Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio (leahsimone)
    leahsimone: These comics (online version) are ridiculously fun. Found out about them from Pat's Blog. I love them and I don't even read comics!… (more)
    Baltimore, or the Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola (infiniteletters)
    Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar by Mike Searle (Littlewitch)
    Littlewitch: This book is excellently written. It is one of those books that you pick up and do not want to put down until the last page. The author too several years to release his second book, because he wanted to make sure that the public received a book worthy to be following his first one.… (more)
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (amyblue)

English (365)  Spanish (11)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Greek (1)  All languages (383)
I want to preface that I am new to Goodreads (this is my first "review"), and I plan to use this site as a place to chronicle my thoughts on books I am reading. Of course, the pudding that is my brain may not be helpful to those looking for a review. I apologize in advance for that, but I wanted to forewarn so you don't reach the end of this and realize I said nothing really productive at all.

I finished The Name of the Wind with a feeling of ambivalence -- it is difficult to describe why this book did not consume me as other fantasy novels because this is not a bad book. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Rothfuss is a beautiful writer, and much of the language in the novel is rich, gorgeous, and unbelievably creative. And I have come to see that The Name of the Wind is not an action fantasy novel with non-stop suspense, but rather a character story, which admittedly has long periods of yawn-worthy passages. But that is not a bad thing. And I don't say it as a negative.

I think what happened here with me is a question of expectations. The product descriptions I have read on this book list it as the next Harry Potter or the next Song of Ice and Fire series. And it's not. The Name of the Wind, and Kvothe, are stand-alone, and my forays into fantasy are not extensive enough for me to speak with real expertise, but I have yet to come across another fantasy novel / series that feels the same as The Name of the Wind. So I went into the novel expecting more than I received.

However, even when it became clear I was not going to get the fast-paced and witty action of Harry Potter, or the non-stop suspense and shock value of Song of Ice and Fire, there were still parts of this novel that left me feeling emptier than Harry Potter and SoIaF did. Again, difficult to explain, but I think both J.K. Rowling and George R.R. Martin are geniuses at creating other worlds, and all that goes into them. Take SoIaF: as the novels progress, the history and mythology of the lands becomes clear and real, and I as a reader, felt myself in the world that Martin created. Even though Martin never explains from beginning to end, in a single sitting, the events leading up to the start of the first book, he provides enough context for the reader to grasp it. Same with Harry Potter.

I didn't feel that way in The Name of the Wind. I never felt like the world that was described to me was real; I think there was a little too much random dropping of historic and mythic names and events with not enough context to create any sense of reality around them. Guys sitting in the Waystone Inn recalling some such hero, whose name gets thrown out there, but then nothing. The only historic hero that got any treatment was Taborlin the Great. And I think there was a little too much "mystery" around the characters (such as Bast and Auri) and not enough give to make them feel real.

All that said, I can see why people are raving about this book. It is creative -- I particularly loved Rothfuss' descriptions of how magic works in this world -- and the story is enjoyable. It is slow in parts, but everything Rothfuss describes is necessary. He comes back to it, but maybe not as deeply as I had hoped. ( )
  parhamj | Nov 16, 2014 |
Amazeballs. ( )
  greenscoop | Nov 15, 2014 |
So.. I read the book and this is one of the rare times when I have nothing much to say about it. I can't say it was bad because it wasn't but it wasn't good either. It left me lingering somewhere in the middle without any afterthoughts and with a feeling of emptiness somewhere deep inside. The sensation after reading the last page was somewhat similar to switching off TV: the Picture disappeared right after I closed the book. And I think that shouldn't be like that with good books.
.. I'm struggling now unable to decide between two and three stars. 2,5 would be fair enough..
The first around 200 pages were long and dull. There were parts when I just wanted to close the book and get rid of it but somehow persuaded myself to read on. Introduction to the characters was so slow that it was almost impossible to get to know them and nothing really exciting happened, surroundings were non-existant, characters - boring.
After those 200-300 pages however I found that I'm starting to get involved. The story started to became more vivid. Interesting thoughts could be found and the dull parts were followed by some really great written parts. Some nice characters appeared too. I liked the way Elodin was described and I liked Auri although they weren't the main characters. I loved the parts connected to the life in University and also the parts describing the never-ending fight for Money. But that's about it.
I didn't like Kvothe. I found him being an arogant, self pretentious kid. He thought and acted like he was so special. And when someone didn't noticed or punished him for being or acting very stupid, he pouted. I mean c'mon! If you are so special and clever, you should guess at least that entering the archives with open flame is total Madness. And I hated Dana or Diana or whatewer her name. She was just vulgar lady of the evening no mater what her past circumstances have been. She went from one man to another, leaving really good partners and was just glorified for that kind of behaviour. Not understandable to me.
However the major problem was that story was entertaining but not deep. It connected with my brain during the reading process but it never reached my heart. I'm not sure if I will read the second part. ( )
  Nefrotete | Nov 3, 2014 |
Great read! Really well written and interesting. It felt long at times, but not necessarily in a bad way. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Alliebadger | Oct 28, 2014 |
This one is not for me! ( )
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |

Rothfuss, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Giorgi, GabrieleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has as a supplement

To my mother, who taught me to love books, and opened the door to Narnia, Pern, and Middle Earth.
And to my father, who taught me that if I was going to do something, I should take my time and do it right.
And lastly, to Mr. Bohage, my high school history teacher. In 1989 I told him I’d mention him in my first novel. I keep my promises
It was that night again. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
Anger can keep you warm at night, and wounded pride can spur a man to wondrous things.
I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.
Fear tends to come from ignorance. Once I knew what the problem was, it was just a problem, nothing to fear.
Wisdom precludes boldness.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0756405890, Paperback)

Amazon.com's Best of the Year...So Far Pick for 2007: Harry Potter fans craving a new mind-blowing series should look no further than The Name of the Wind--the first book in a trilogy about an orphan boy who becomes a legend. Full of music, magic, love, and loss, Patrick Rothfuss's vivid and engaging debut fantasy knocked our socks off. --Daphne Durham

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Patrick Rothfuss

Q: Were you always a fan of fantasy novels?
A: Always. My first non-picture books were the Narnia Chronicles. After that my mom gave me Ihe Hobbit and Dragonriders. I grew up reading about every fantasy and sci-fi book I could find. I used to go to the local bookstore and look at the paperbacks on the shelf. I read non-fantasy stuff too, of course. But fantasy is where my heart lies. Wait... Should that be "where my heart lays?" I always screw that up.

Q: Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite books?
A: Hmmm.... How about I post that up as a list?

Q: What are you reading now?
A: Right now I'm reading Capacity, by Tony Balantyne. He was nominated for the Philip K Dick award this last year. I heard him read a piece of the first novel, Recursion, out at Norwescon. I picked it up and got pulled right in. Capacity is the second book in the series. Good writing and cool ideas. Everything I've like best.

Q: How did Kvothe's story come to you? Did you always plan on a trilogy?
A: This story started with Kvothe's character. I knew it was going to be about him from the very beginning. In some ways it's the simplest story possible: it's the story of a man's life. It's the myth of the Hero seen from backstage. It's about the exploration and revelation of a world, but it's also about Kvothe's desire to uncover the truth hidden underneath the stories in his world. The story is a lot of things, I guess. As you can tell, I'm not very good at describing it. I always tell people, "If I could sum it up in 50 words, I wouldn't have needed to write a whole novel about it." I didn't plan it as a trilogy though. I just wrote it and it got to be so long that it had to be broken up into pieces. There were three natural breaking points in the story.... Hence the Trilogy.

Q: What is next for our hero?
A: Hmm..... I don't really believe in spoilers. But I think it's safe to say that Kvothe grows up a little in the second book. He learns more about magic. He learns how to fight, gets tangled up in some court politics, and starts to figure unravel some of the mysteries of romance and relationships, which is really just magic of a different kind, in a way.

Patrick Rothfuss's Books You Should Read