Leap!: What Will We Do with the Rest of Our…

Leap!: What Will We Do with the Rest of Our Lives? (edition 2008)

by Sara Davidson

Member:lcjones123
Title:Leap!: What Will We Do with the Rest of Our Lives?
Authors:Sara Davidson
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Paperback, 321 pages

Leap!: What Will We Do with the Rest of Our Lives? by Sara Davidson

Inspiring and fluid read. Author Sarah Davidson, a succesful writer, uses her own personal criss in her 60s to envision a new way to live for the Boomer generation.

After having a long-time lover leave abruptly, a great career fizzle out, and kids grow up and out of the house, Davidson realizes she's starting from scratch again, in everything. She interviews dozens of her peers who have had their own struggles with getting older and becoming "elders." Issues of sex are also addressed. Only flaw may be how her book is biased toward the upper-middle class, but if that's what the author's social circle is, at least she does a thorough job covering the demographic.

The last 1/3 of the book reads like Eat, Pray, Love, with the author traveling to India in search of more wisdom and self-discovery. ( )
  emigre | Mar 25, 2008 |
Well-written interviews and self-reflection for older adults - could identify with nearly every page! ( )
  zina | Jun 30, 2007 |
Interesting quick read, but definitely written from a rarefied position. Cover subtitled "Reflections from the Boomer Generation", this book reflects only an elite portion of the generation. ( )
  ATechwreck | May 10, 2007 |

Thirty years ago, Sara Davidson wrote the phenomenal bestseller Loose Change, the definitive book about the boomer generation’s coming-of-age. Now this witty social observer has again turned her discerning eye to her contemporaries, with Leap!, a no-holds-barred, illuminating, and hopeful look at the choices and challenges we face and the roads open to us.

For many years Davidson earned a living as a successful journalist and screenwriter, but in her fifties she saw her life come apart: She could no longer find work, she endured a break-up with her partner, and her children left for college. For the first time ever, she had nothing to do. She felt adrift, but she found that she was not alone.

In Leap!, Davidson sets out on a passionate quest to learn how to do the coming years well. Drawing on her own experience and that of others, she explores such questions as

• How does a high-powered person learn to walk down the ladder gracefully?
• How can women continue to be sensual and not touch-deprived?
• How do we arrange to grow old with our friends?
• What will be the fire at the center of our lives?
• Why are we still here?

Davidson interviews people from across the country and from all walks of life, including such icons as Carly Simon, Tom Hayden, Tracy Kidder, Jane Fonda, Ram Dass, and Iman, as well as teachers, writers, psychologists, businesspeople, and spiritual leaders. The candid portraits are both inspiring and cautionary.

True to character, boomers will approach these years differently from previous generations, and there will be no single path. Some will feel free for the first time to take risks; others will embark upon a spiritual search; some will want to give back, to make the world a better place; others will want to play or make creativity a priority. But they will not fade quietly into the sunset.

With Leap!, Sara Davidson holds up a mirror for readers, allowing them to see not only themselves and those around them but their potential future. With Davidson as a guide, the possibilities are boundless.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:34 -0400)

A no-holds-barred, illuminating, and hopeful look at the choices and challenges baby-boomers face and the roads open to them. For many years Davidson was a successful journalist and screenwriter, but in her fifties her life came apart: she could no longer find work, she endured a break-up with her partner, and her children left for college. For the first time ever, she had nothing to do. She felt adrift--but found that she was not alone. Drawing on her own experience and that of others, she explores such questions as: How does a high-powered person learn to step down the ladder gracefully? How can women be sensual and not touch-deprived as the number of available partners dwindles? How can we arrange to grow old with our friends? What will be the fire at the center of our lives? Why are we still here?--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,692,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible