Burning Water by Mercedes Lackey

Diana Tregard, powerful Guardian and protector of supernatural folks, is travelling to Texas to help out her friend and cop , Mark Valdez, with his investigation into a series of ritualized murders. It seems a great power is growing and needs to be stopped before it claims more victims.
I liked the Aztec mythology built into this one, but I doubt it's terribly accurate. Diana continues to be a bad-ass heroine and Mark was a decent character as well. It was too bad Diana's vampire boyfriend Andre didn't factor much in this, but the lack of romance wasn't terribly missed. ( )
  EmScape | May 20, 2019 |
The first book in the Tregarde series. This book had action and suspense. It didn't really contain any romance, which was fine. I liked the information about the Aztecs and the their religion. Most of it seemed accurate. A few points could have used some more clarity but nothing major.It did make me want to read the next book in the series. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Sep 13, 2018 |
  Maddz | Jun 23, 2018 |
I just cannot read any further. Not invested in the characters and the subject matter is too sensational and unbelievable. I know it is fantasy but even fantasy is built on a bedrock of reality. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
A paranormal series before "paranormal" was a trendy thing. But I simply couldn't get into it. I found it a bit slow and predictable (at least what I read). And it felt a bit dated (it was written in the 80s). So with many other books on the to-read pile, I decided not to force myself to finish it. Sadly, this one goes in the DNF pile. ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |
Dedicated to Mary Jean and J. R. Holmes, who gave Diana a place to grow up
Lupe sobbed harshly, her voice muffled, as if smothered by the darkness all around her.

SOMETHING IS STALKING DALLAS

First it attacked the cattle, leaving bloody, mutilated corpses. Now it's going after people, men, women, even children - dozens at a time.

The police have few clues - some scraps of leather, a few feathers, scattered flower petals. Lots of bodies. And an aura of unstoppable evil.

Detective Mark Valdez feels that evil. He's dealt with the occult before, and he knows he's in over his head. So he calls in a specialist.

Diana Tregarde, Romance novelist. Investigator of unnatural events, Practicing witch. if anyone can determined what malevolent power is loose in Dallas, she can.

Power calls to power. Will Diana be an avenging angel or a willing sacrifice?
    ------------------------

DUELING ON THE ROOF

He'd chased her through the library, up onto the roof. then he'd challenged her, drawing a power-glyph in the air - and though he wasn't the chief force behind the killings. Di knew the challenge could not go unanswered.

He spread his hands wide, then clapped them otgether - and she had a split second to decide if the snarling thing with the head of a jaguar and the wings of a bird was real or illusion.

Becuase if she guessed wrong, she was dead ...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812524853, Mass Market Paperback)

Dallas Police Detective Mark Valdez isn't just any cop, he's a psychic who knows that the cattle mutilations and torture murders he's been investigating are somehow tied together. He also knows that his meager psychic abilities aren't enough to identify the killers, much less stop them.
Luckily, Mark has an ace up his sleeve: an attractive young romance novelist who happens to be a practicing witch. And not just any witch, either-Diana Tregarde is a Guardian, charged with protecting the Earth and all its creatures.
Using modern science and ancient magics, Diana and Mark discover that they are tailing no ordinary serial killer but the awakened avatar of an Aztec god. Tezcatlipoca and his four beautiful handmaidens are preparing for a great sacrifice that will transform North America into a new Aztec realm.
Diana isn't sure her powers are strong enough to take on those of a risen Aztec god, but she has no choice. As a Guardian, she is sworn to protect mankind, even at the cost of her own life. Luckily, she does not stand alone. Mark Valdez is more than just a cop. And Tezcatlipoca is not the only Aztec god walking in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:59 -0400)

Discovering that local cattle mutilations and a series of ritualistic murders are the work of a risen Aztec god, Guardian witch Diana Tregarde and psychic police detective Mark Valdez team up to protect the human race. By the author of Children of the Night.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible