Rock This! by Chris Rock

Rock This! (edition 1997)

by Chris Rock

Member:DBantu
Title:Rock This!
Authors:Chris Rock
Info:Hyperion Books (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 202 pages

Rock This! by Chris Rock

I read this the summer before my freshman year of college began. I was in a new city and far from home. I remember it being a hilarious read and held on to this book like a kind of security blanket. I would carry it around with me and occasionally (read: often) hide behind it in lieu of talking to strangers. I'm such an odd duck.

So, lots of laughs here. If you love his stand-up, then you'll love this. The two are very similar. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
When I first bought this book, I didn't really give it a chance and ended up giving it away.However, once I did read it, I felt like a moron for letting such a funny and insightful book go to waste.In Rock This, Chris Rock leaves no stone unturned as he examines various topics from race relations to dating. The reason why I like this book so much is because Chris Rock doesn't just make fun of certain things but instead, he jokes about everything. Also,I agree with a lot of topics that he brings up in this book. The one thing that sets this book apart from others like it is that the author also makes fun of himself. Within the course of this book,Rock talks about how he dropped out of high school and got a G.E.D. which he says stands for a "good enough diploma." By making fun of himself as well as other topics, the reader realizes that Chris Rock is flawed just like anybody else. Probably the best thing about this book is how well the book relates to the reader. As for me, I loved this book. Not only did I fully relate to what the author was saying but also, I came away with more insight and a deeper understanding about people. So, for anyone who wants to read a extremely funny book, this is the one for you. ( )
2 vote bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |
  bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |
  bamalibrarylady | Jan 14, 2010 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786885602, Paperback)

Rock This reads like a collection of Chris Rock's routines, and that's the book's only flaw. A little more of Rock himself would be nice--maybe something that's a cross between an autobiography and Rock's routine transcribed for print. That said, Rock This is a very funny book. The young comedian speaks his mind about a variety of topics: race, sex, drugs, O. J. Simpson, and relationships between men and women. Occasionally profane and wrong-headed, most of the time Rock's wry observations--his assessments of the Reverend Al Sharpton and the Reverend Jesse Jackson are dead-on--make you nod your head in acknowledgment of their truth, even as you shake with laughter.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:46 -0400)

Comedian Chris Rock discusses relationships, family, race relations, and offers his perspective of what it is like to be an African-American man.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,785 books! | Top bar: Always visible