Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz

Dark Rivers of the Heart (edition 1995)

by Dean Koontz

Member:JohnFair
Title:Dark Rivers of the Heart
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Headline (1995), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 736 pages
Collections:Borrowed
Rating:***
Tags:technothriller, government conspiracy, spencer grant

Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz

English (17)  Dutch (2)  All languages (19)
The best part of this book is the conspiracy theory theme. The characters are annoying, with the attractive female characters far over-described and the male characters left almost blank, as if the reader need not know what the protagonist and his arch enemy look like. There is a lot of filler- unnecessary detail, wordy and momentum-killing descriptions of every scene, and too little plot structure, so that one might easily miss the central plotline and get bogged down in the rest of the dead-weight bulk of this novel.
In this book, a man becomes obsessed with a woman he met at a bar, and begins stalking her, finding her address, going to her apartment and breaking in. When bad guys attack her apartment while the man is still inside, he escapes and goes off in search of the woman. The bad guys begin stalking him, and the rest of the book is a mad chase in which the man hunts the woman, the bad guys hunt the man, and eventually a cop and his family are framed in a phony drug bust and forced to go on the run. The bad guys are some super-secret agency that is run out of the Department of Justice, though what their mandate is remains a bit unclear even by the end of the book. It does provide a convenient screen for the chief bad guy, though, and an unlimited budget for him to use while hunting his targets.
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
"But if the guy didn't already know her, why had he been at her bungalow that rainy night, and why had he made it his personal crusade to find her?

Umm... exactly! The author himself asks the same questions that kept running through my head as I read this book! And those above events, in all their unlikely hood, start this book! The meat of this story is strong, but the fat around it is much too thick! Events, like walking down a stairway to a barn, take up so many pages that I found myself not caring about what happened when he finally made it there! I bet 150-175 pages could be cut from this and nothing would be lost! In fact, it'd probably be a kick-ass story!

Much like another Koontz book that I read, "The Good Guy", I really liked the bad guy in here (Roy) much more than the good guy! Heck, I even liked the good guy's serial killing father better than I liked the good guy! Makes me wonder...

On a final note, the story-within-a-story about asset forfeiture laws seems entirely misplaced here. It seems like a personal/political view of the author's, perhaps at the time of writing this, that he had to include someway, somehow. Again, hacking that entire issue/sub-plot would have made this a much better read! In my opinion. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 20, 2016 |
Probably the best thing I've read by Koontz. Based on reality rather than fantasy, the story was riveting, the characters were well drawn and interesting, the "romance" was a little slower than most in developing to fruition, mainly because the female protagonist doesn't show up until the second half of the book. The suspense worked better, overall, when the bad guys are real instead of phantoms. Quite a good read. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 19, 2014 |
SUMMARY: Do you dare step through the red door? Spencer Grant had no idea what drew him to the bar with the red door. He thought he would just sit down, have a slow beer or two, and talk to a stranger. He couldn't know that it would lead to a narrow escape from a bungalow targeted by a SWAT team. Or that it would leave him a wanted man. Now he is on the run from mysterious and ruthless men. He is in love with a woman he knows next to nothing about. And he is hiding from a past he can't fully remember. On his trail is a shadowy security agency that answers to no one--including the U.S. government--and a man who considers himself a compassionate Angel of Death. But worst of all, Spencer Grant is on a collision course with inner demons he thought he'd buried years ago--inner demons that could destroy him if his enemies don't first.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
I read this book way back in the days before kindle. It was a thick one but very good, you wont be disappointed at all.
  Bettyb30 | Jun 24, 2013 |

Dean Koontzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Accornero, FrancoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heald, AnthonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kalvas, ReijoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Gary and Zov Karamardian for their valued friendship, for being the kind of people who make life a joy for others, and for giving us a home away from home. We've decided to move in permanently next week!
With the woman on his mind and a deep uneasiness in his heart, Spencer Grant drove through the glistening night, searching for the red door.
They were all so beautiful in their pain and like angels when they died.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553582895, Mass Market Paperback)

Do you dare step through the red door?

Spencer Grant had no idea what drew him to the bar with the red door. He thought he would just sit down, have a slow beer or two, and talk to a stranger. He couldn't know that it would lead to a narrow escape from a bungalow targeted by a SWAT team. Or that it would leave him a wanted man. Now he is on the run from mysterious and ruthless men. He is in love with a woman he knows next to nothing about. And he is hiding from a past he can't fully remember. On his trail is a shadowy security agency that answers to no one--including the U.S. government—and a man who considers himself a compassionate Angel of Death. But worst of all, Spencer Grant is on a collision course with inner demons he thought he'd buried years ago—inner demons that could destroy him if his enemies don't first.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:23 -0400)

Spencer grant had no idea what drew him to the bar with the red door. He thought he would just sit down, have a slow beer or two, and talk to a stranger. Little did he know where that would lead him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible