Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling

Stalking Darkness (1997)

by Lynn Flewelling

Scarlet and the White Wolf by Kirby Crow (graymaker)
    A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R. W. Day (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both very good fantasies with BL coming of age subplot.

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
this book slaughtered me and then revived me and then almost murdered me again, thanks lynn flewelling ( )
  PugPhD | Apr 27, 2018 |
agonizing about the romance between people with a huge power imbalance still doesn't make it ok.

stop romancing children.

thanks for not ending on a cliffhanger this time ( )
  ansate | Feb 19, 2018 |
Yay apparently there is such a thing as a duology in fantasy. This book perfectly ends the leftover plots from the last book with a satisfying ending.

The supposed gay romance element was still not a huge part of the book but it at least got a proper telling as well. Overall I'd say this book is well worth reading just to get some closure.

I think my favourite part though was that an unlikable character that was almost set up to be evil, got his redemption as well. Just because you are one awkward, rude dude doesn't mean you have to switch over to the baddie side. ( )
  newcastlee | Dec 30, 2017 |
I was so worried for the first third of this book that it was going to be like so many second installations of fantasy series; a let down. However, though it was slow to pick up, once it did, it never let up and I found myself turning page after page with anticipation, excitement, anger, sadness, and every emotion in between. This second book tore at my heart strings, and I found myself physically crying for the last few chapters. It has been a long time since a fantasy novel has truly tugged at my heart strings such as this one did.
When did I grow to care so much about the characters in this series that I would weep at some of their storylines? Flewelling did such an amazing job at writing these characters and building them and developing them, that it snuck up on me without warning.
There were so many great elements to the book that made it so successful in my eyes. Storylines came to a head, that I thought surely would carry on throughout more of the series, leaving me wondering what could be next! She introduced new characters as well, that fit perfectly into the mix and instantly had me loving them. Characters especially like Beka, who I hope plays a larger role in the story to come.
I am sad that I have waited so long to discover this series, but so grateful that I finally have, and cannot wait to see what Alec and Seregil find themselves doing in volumes to come! I can say with certainty that Seregil and Alec are two of my favorite fantasy protagonists of all time, especially Alec, who for some reason I just really love as a character. Flewelling is masterful at what she does. ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Sep 19, 2017 |
Continuing the story of Alec and Seregil...
In this installment, the wizard Nysander discovers that the maleficent magical artifacts discovered by A&S in the first book are part of a necromantic plot by the Plenimarans, who are planning to invade the land of Skala and also, take over the world with evil magic.
Sounds like an excuse for a QUEST! Let's get some horses and march out...

In addition to Defeating Evil, Alec and Seregil also discover their love for one another, in a very G-rated manner. And various people continue to explain backstory to the innocent Alec in a slightly awkward manner.

Target audience: teenage girls that like pretty gay boys, horses, elves and warrior women. Mercedes Lackey fans?

Yes, I found it entertaining. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editRainbow Gold Reviews (Nov 6, 2014)

For my sons Matthew and Timothy, who laugh at the same goofy things I do. You're the best, guys.
The lean ship smashed through foaming crests, pounding southwest out of Keston toward Skala.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553575430, Mass Market Paperback)

With the Leran threat laid to rest, Alec and Seregil are now able to turn their attention to the ancient evil which threatens their land. The Plenimarans, at war with Skalans, have decided to defeat their ancient enemy by raising up the Dead God, Seriamaius. The early attempts at this reincarnation--masterminded by the sinister Duke Mardus and his sorcerous minion Vargul Ashnazai--once left Seregil in a sorcerous coma. Now, an ancient prophecy points to his continuing role in the quest to stop Mardus in his dread purpose.

Seregil's friend and Mentor, the wizard Nysander, has long been the guardian of a deadly secret. In a secret, silver-lined room hidden well beneath the Oreska, he has served for most of his 300 years as the keeper of a nondescript clay cup. But this cup, combined with a crystal crown and some wooden disks, forms the Helm of Seriamaius, and any mortal donning the reconstructed Helm will become the incarnation of the god on earth.

Nysander holds the cup and Mardus the wooden disks--one of which was responsible for Seregil's coma--but the crown must still be located. Threatened under pain of death by Nysander to keep his quest a secret even from his loyal companion, Alec, Seregil is dispatched to find the last missing piece of the Helm so that he and Nysander can destroy it. But this is only the beginning of one of his deadliest journeys ever, for the prophecy also holds that four will come together in a time of darkness, and gradually all that Seregil values is placed at risk as he, Alec, Nysander and Micum are drawn into a deadly web of terror and intrigue.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:21 -0400)

Seregil of Rhiminee and his companion, Alec of Kerry, attempt to save their land from an ancient evil, as Alec learns the shocking truth about his own shadowed heritage and he, Seregil, and a group of loyal companions are thrown into a deadly conflict with the ultimate evil.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible