Why We Die by Mick Herron

Why We Die (edition 2006)

by Mick Herron

122768,668 (3)None
Member:bfister
Title:Why We Die
Authors:Mick Herron
Info:Carroll & Graf (2006), Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:crime fiction, Zoe Boehm, jewel thieves

Why We Die by Mick Herron

Couldn't get into this at all, pity as the dialogue was quite witty but I couldn't get a grip of who or what the characters were. ( )
  edwardsgt | Oct 25, 2016 |
Zoe is asked to track down some jewel thieves, a man called Tim decides to commit suicide, but fails to do so, and one of the jewel thieves is killed by his allegedly abused wife.

The first half of this book was quite slow and (as ever) depressing, although at least Zoe's breast cancer scare came to nothing. The second half picked up a bit, but it still wasn't a great read for me. Everyone (with the notable exception of poor Tim) was morally compromised or actually corrupt; the suggested alliance between Zoe and Win didn't sit well with me and, if Zoe hadn't been so keen to keep some of the money for herself, she could have just involved the police. Also, how did Bob Poland get inserted into the middle of things?

Just kind of icky, somehow. ( )
  pgchuis | Sep 29, 2016 |

When Tim Whitby checks into a hotel, he's not intending to check out again -- but then he meets Katrina Blake, a woman in need of rescue. When Arkle, Baxter and Trent inherit the family business, they're not planning on making a go of it -- there are quicker ways of getting rich, if you're not squeamish about the violence involved. And when Zoe Boehm agrees to track down the the masked men who robbed Harold Sweeney's jewellery shop, she's hoping to pay off the taxes she's avoided. She's not expecting to wind up in a coffin. But Arkle has a crossbow; Tim has a life that's run out of purpose, and even battered Katrina has her secrets. And death, like taxes, can't be avoided forever.… (more)

4 wanted3 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,749,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible