Firestarter by Stephen King

Firestarter (original 1980; edition 1981)

by Stephen King

Member:wtoomey
Title:Firestarter
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1981), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:own, ebook, horror, Pyrokinesis, supernatural

Firestarter by Stephen King (1980)

Recently added byprivate library, harangar, nicole.m.cecchini, Natsirema, drmehollis, MaraBlaise

English (55)  French (2)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (61)
This review was originally posted as a guest review at booksaremything.com.

Being able to set things on fire with your mind would be awesome. Scary as all get out, but awesome. I’ll admit that I’m a massive dork when it comes to “super” powers and tend to really get into books that delve into the extraordinary and seemingly impossible.

This also happens to be my first Stephen King novel. I was pretty nervous to read anything by the master of horror. I’m a massive wimp when it comes to horror movies and I was assuming that would carry over to books. Thankfully that doesn’t seem to be the case, or at least not where Firestarter is concerned.

I’ll start with the obvious. The writing was pretty great. No obvious spelling or grammar errors that take your mind away from the plot. Stephen King is a big time author with major publishers backing him, so this should be expected.

The plot left a lot to be desired. I was unimpressed. I thought the overview sounded awesome and I’m always up for a story about the extraordinary. Firestarter was shockingly boring. It wasn’t until almost the end of the book when something remotely exciting/heart pounding happened. That’s way too far into a long book for me. Frankly, if this hadn’t been my book for this book blog round robin I would have never finished it.

What does it come down to? I’m right in between not liking Firestarter and liking it. The majority of the book bored me, but it did get interesting towards the end and left me wondering with how it actually ended. Maybe my expectations were too high going in or maybe it’s just not a great book. I really can’t say. I would not recommend Firestarter, unless you’re already an established Stephen King fan.

For more reviews, check out http://reviewsinapinch.com/ now! ( )
  ReviewsInAPinch | Oct 4, 2014 |
  cassie.peters1 | Sep 6, 2014 |
Well, I can't complain. I really can't. This book is actually pretty good. It's about a man who takes part of an apparently simple experiment in exchange of some money and years later finds out that the company is behind him and his family because his daughter seems to have a special "talent": the ability to set things afire with her thoughts.
In spite of my slow rhythm to read it, it is fast paced and easy to understand. The beginning of the story already makes your heart beat faster, but I kinda expected more from the middle of the book until near the end of it. More action, more drama, more emotion, but the story actually gets pretty mild nearby the end. Then, unexpected things happen and it slowly gets back to the fast paced narrative. There are no loose threads in this book, which nice. Characters are pretty acceptable, but nothing that will make you fall in love with them.
A pretty nice book to entertain you for a couple of nights. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutsikaris, DennisReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lahtinen, Aarne T. K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"It was a pleasure to burn." -- Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451
In memory of Shirley Jackson, who never needed to raise her voice.
"Daddy, I'm tired," the little girl in the red pants and the green blouse said fretfully.

You are about to meet the sweetest, most irresistible little girl you've ever known - 8-year-old Charlie McGee.
She's everything that a proud father like Andy McGee could want - and all that he can fear. For Charlie was born with the most destructive power a human being has ever commanded - and somehow she must be saved from both herself and from those in high places who want to use her as their weapon.

Meet Charlie - and see what happens when innocence and beauty unite with evil and terro.
----------------------------------------------------
FIRESTARTER is the mesmerising and menacing story of a sinister government agency, a fateful drug experiment, and a pigtailed girl named Charlie, who has an unimaginably terrifying gift: the power of pyrokinesis.
Her power's constrained!
No, just seems that way because
thermometers melt.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451167805, Mass Market Paperback)

Innocence and beauty ignite with evil and terror as a young girl exhibits signs of a wild and horrifying force.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:03 -0400)

Young Charlie McGee is a very special girl. The result of scientific experimentation on her parents, she has the ability to create fires wherever and whenever she chooses, by force of will alone. On the run from sinister government agents with her telekenetic father, she only wants to forget her monstrous abilities, and live a normal life. When the pair are captured, Charlie must decide between saving her father and using her fiery powers at the whim of a government only interested in using her ... as a weapon!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,341,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible