Cold mountain by Charles Frazier

Cold mountain (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Charles Frazier

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:Cold mountain
Authors:Charles Frazier
Info:New York: Atlantic Monthly Press, c1997.
Rating:**

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1997)

March by Geraldine Brooks (1Owlette)
    The Odyssey by Homer (TomWaitsTables)
    The Black Flower: A Novel of the Civil War by Howard Bahr (starfishpaws)
    Redemption Falls by Joseph O'Connor (1Owlette)
    In the Fall by Jeffrey Lent (1Owlette)
    Freeman Walker by David Allan Cates (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Civil War era stories of trekking along the long road home.
    Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb (myshelves)
    myshelves: Also involves the Home Guard, outliers, deserters --- a mini-war in an isolated locality, in the midst of the Civil War.
    All Other Nights by Dara Horn (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Ghosts of The Soon Departed by T. A. Epley (ancestorsearch)
    ancestorsearch: Story that spans over four generations beginning in the era of the Civil War takes place in the Appalachians area of North Carolina.
    Winter's Bone by Daniel Woodrell (1Owlette)
    She-Rain: A Story of Hope by Michael Cogdill (JG_IntrovertedReader)
    Boone's Lick by Larry McMurtry (clif_hiker)

I'd rather read a book with well-developed characters and a slow plot than vice versa. That's one of the reasons Cold Mountain appealed to me. By the end of the book I cared deeply about every single major character, even the despicable one. That opened me up to emotions that surprised me with their intensity. Usually I'm eager to begin a new book as soon as I finish reading a novel, but I couldn't do it this time. I waited an entire day to start reading again, out of respect for this book.

There's a lot of darkness here. This story is a close cousin to Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It's not an easy read. But, like McCarthy's book, in the end it's about redemption, about small, sharp beams of it. I still haven't made up my mind if that's enough. ( )
  JodiLEK | Mar 31, 2018 |
loved it. ( )
  mahallett | Mar 31, 2018 |
This book was a little harsh, which I didn't need. There were also some confusing parts. I read it in a book group, and we had all assumed Ruby was black, so imagine our shock when Renee Zellweger got the role! Mostly it was just depressing. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
An extremely well written novel. The 2 main characters you mostly fall in love with and want at the same point to be them and are grateful that you are not them. ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
Reviewed in Discussions
  joshkraght | Jun 9, 2017 |
Frazier has been widely and justly praised for his elegant prose and rich evocations of the natural world. For me, however, the deepest satisfactions of his novel derive from his deft treatment of certain perennially appealing pop archetypes.

Cold Mountain is sincerely plausible. It is a solemn fake. You will not hear this from the readers and judges who have helped make Charles Frazier's Civil War tale probably the most popular novel about that period since Gone With the Wind. (Since its publication in June, Cold Mountain has sold more than a million copies; in November, it won the National Book Award.) The book is so professionally archaeological, so competently dug, that one can mistake its surfaces for depth. But it's like a cemetery with no bodies in it. All the records of life are there, the facts and figures and pocket histories, pointing up out of the ground, but what's buried there was never alive.
added by Shortride | editSlate, James Wood (Dec 24, 1997)

For a first novelist, in fact for any novelist, Charles Frazier has taken on a daunting task -- and has done extraordinarily well by it.

It is difficult to believe in the dreadful but quiet war of organic beings, going on in the peaceful woods, & smiling fields.
   --Darwin, 1839 journal entry
Men ask the way to Cold Mountain.
Cold Mountain: there's no through trail.
   --Han-shan
---for Katherine and Annie
At the first gesture of morning, flies began stirring.
This is the novel that the movie by the same name is based. Please do not combine the movie or abridged versions with this work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802142842, Paperback)

The hero of Charles Frazier's beautifully written and deeply-imagined first novel is Inman, a disillusioned Confederate soldier who has failed to die as expected after being seriously wounded in battle during the last days of the Civil War. Rather than waiting to be redeployed to the front, the soul-sick Inman deserts, and embarks on a dangerous and lonely odyssey through the devastated South, heading home to North Carolina, and seeking only to be reunited with his beloved, Ada, who has herself been struggling to maintain the family farm she inherited. Cold Mountain is an unforgettable addition to the literature of one of the most important and transformational periods in American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

Inman, a wounded Confederate soldier, leaves the hospital where he is being treated and determines to walk home to his sweetheart Ada, only to find the land and the girl he remembers as changed by the war as he.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,463,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible