Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain (original 1997; edition 2006)

by Charles Frazier

Member:MattBT
Title:Cold Mountain
Authors:Charles Frazier
Info:Grove Press (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1997)

Great book!! ( )
  keafrost | Jul 15, 2015 |
Have 2 copies
  kewlgeek | Jun 30, 2015 |
The audiobook with Frazier as the narrator is amazing. I read somewhere he studied the language of civil war newpaper reports which he used to inform his writing style -- vocabulary, sentence structure, etc. It really comes through in his reading. His style enriches the setting and strong evokes the era without sounding stitled to modern ears. ( )
  Tacoma.Red | Mar 1, 2015 |
A soldier wounded in the Civil War, Inman turns his back on the carnage of the battlefield and begins the treacherous journey home to Cold Mountain, and to Ada, the woman he loved before the war began. As Inman attempts to make his way across the mountains, through the devastated landscape of a soon-to-be-defeated South, Ada struggles to make a living from the land her once-wealthy father left when he died. Neither knows if the other is still alive.
  Cirencester | Jan 26, 2015 |
I realize that I run against the grain when I call this book merely good. I realize I run equally against the grain when I say I found the film version of it flawed. But that’s my frank opinion of both the book and the film. Honi soit qui mal y pense — and all that.

A modern-day odyssey by any other name should smell as sweet. I don’t fault the book for its storyline whatsoever. I simply fault it because Mr. Frazier seems not to be able to make up his mind whether he wants to do his reader in with a feathered quill or with a bludgeon. His language is at one extreme poetic; at the other, macho con brio.

And the film version of the story? Jude Law’s performance as Inman was beyond reproach. Nicole Kidman’s as Ada Monroe was adequate. Renée Zellweger’s as Ruby Thewes was over-the-top. (Charlie Hunnam’s as Bosie, by the way, was terrifying; if they ever do a re-make of “Natural Born Killers,” he’s your man.)

What more can I say? I’m a cynic, through and through.

RRB
04/16/11
Brooklyn, NY, USA
  RussellBittner | Dec 12, 2014 |
Frazier has been widely and justly praised for his elegant prose and rich evocations of the natural world. For me, however, the deepest satisfactions of his novel derive from his deft treatment of certain perennially appealing pop archetypes.

Cold Mountain is sincerely plausible. It is a solemn fake. You will not hear this from the readers and judges who have helped make Charles Frazier's Civil War tale probably the most popular novel about that period since Gone With the Wind. (Since its publication in June, Cold Mountain has sold more than a million copies; in November, it won the National Book Award.) The book is so professionally archaeological, so competently dug, that one can mistake its surfaces for depth. But it's like a cemetery with no bodies in it. All the records of life are there, the facts and figures and pocket histories, pointing up out of the ground, but what's buried there was never alive.
added by Shortride | editSlate, James Wood (Dec 24, 1997)

For a first novelist, in fact for any novelist, Charles Frazier has taken on a daunting task -- and has done extraordinarily well by it.

It is difficult to believe in the dreadful but quiet war of organic beings, going on in the peaceful woods, & smiling fields.
   --Darwin, 1839 journal entry
Men ask the way to Cold Mountain.
Cold Mountain: there's no through trail.
   --Han-shan
---for Katherine and Annie
At the first gesture of morning, flies began stirring.
This is the novel that the movie by the same name is based. Please do not combine the movie or abridged versions with this work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802142842, Paperback)

The hero of Charles Frazier's beautifully written and deeply-imagined first novel is Inman, a disillusioned Confederate soldier who has failed to die as expected after being seriously wounded in battle during the last days of the Civil War. Rather than waiting to be redeployed to the front, the soul-sick Inman deserts, and embarks on a dangerous and lonely odyssey through the devastated South, heading home to North Carolina, and seeking only to be reunited with his beloved, Ada, who has herself been struggling to maintain the family farm she inherited. Cold Mountain is an unforgettable addition to the literature of one of the most important and transformational periods in American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:01 -0400)

The impact of the Civil War on lovers. Inman is not the man he used to be, as wounded in battle he slowly makes his way home to North Carolina. His sweetheart, Ada, too has changed, no longer a flighty belle but a hard-working farm woman. Will love be the same?… (more)

2036 avail.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,480,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible