Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain (original 1997; edition 2006)

by Charles Frazier

Member:MattBT
Title:Cold Mountain
Authors:Charles Frazier
Info:Grove Press (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier (1997)

Set in the closing of the Civil War, this is the story of two people, both trying to survive dismal times and remake their lives. Inman is a seriously injured soldier who decides to simply walk out of the hospital, head home and find his pre-war sweetheart. Disgusted with all the waste and killing he has seen and participated in. He walks miles and miles through ruined land, giving help when he can to those who need it, eluding scouts combing the countryside for deserting soldiers, running into all sorts of people, sometimes hearing and relating their stories alongside his own. The alternate storyline is that of his girl Ada, who struggles to pull her father's farm back into working order after his death. She was never taught any practical skills (loved books and art, but that would not feed her) and is floundering when another young woman Ruby shows up on her doorstep offering to assist and teach in return for a partnership- not as a hired hand or slave, but eventually a friend. Piece by piece you learn the way of these characters' lives, where they have been and where they hope to go, how they scratch a living from every day and plan for a brighter future amid violence and decay. There are some really disgusting people in here, and others who shine when they have no reason to. Ruby teaches Ada some woodslore and how to work with the land. I don't know how accurate the depiction is of what times were like during the Civil War, but it seemed a vivid and realistic picture to me.

from the Dogear Diary ( )
  jeane | Oct 12, 2014 |
I loved Cold Mountain for its descriptions. Frazier's descriptions of the natural cycles and how we connect into it was brilliant. Inman and Ada's love was secondary only. I related more to Inman than Ada but still found the book enjoyable. Worth it. ( )
  Rosenstern | Sep 14, 2014 |
The descriptions are wonderful but the punctuation -- especially in the dialogue is gastly. I guess he's trying for a Joseph Conrad / Heart of Darkness meets Gone with the Wind. I don't like Conrad's style of writing either. I wanted to mark quotation marks for all the dialogue (I didn't, of course). ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 2, 2014 |
An all time favorite for me. Beautiful writing - have read it twice and reread parts every now and then just to savor his art again. ( )
  purlyo | Aug 1, 2014 |
This is an achingly engaging novel both in the sections where we follow the deprivations of Inman and engage with the more rewarding struggles of Ada. I found it satisfying on so many levels. The plot initially is totally engaging being a combination of the picaresque with Frazier putting Inman in so many situations to bring out an almost unrelenting picture of man’s inhumanity to the warmer, more Swiss Family Robinson type existence of Ada. Then there’s the setting, both in time and place. I found it completely convincing. Usually I’m not keen on historical novels but unlike Hilary Mantel, Frazier just used the civil war as the backdrop rather than following a specific historical figure which I think is limiting. The uncertain wildness of the landscape two centuries ago seems appropriate for a tale with so much insecurity in it. The full characterisation drew me in too, the protagonists’ personalities emerging from their actions and thoughts rather than more directly through the author’s descriptions. The way the reader has to think about the ending is also effective and Frazier does well to achieve the balance here, something managed in another of my favourite books ‘Snow falling on cedars’. Had everything turned out right in the end, I think the book would retrospectively negated some of the anguish of the earlier parts. ( )
  evening | Jul 24, 2014 |
Frazier has been widely and justly praised for his elegant prose and rich evocations of the natural world. For me, however, the deepest satisfactions of his novel derive from his deft treatment of certain perennially appealing pop archetypes.

Cold Mountain is sincerely plausible. It is a solemn fake. You will not hear this from the readers and judges who have helped make Charles Frazier's Civil War tale probably the most popular novel about that period since Gone With the Wind. (Since its publication in June, Cold Mountain has sold more than a million copies; in November, it won the National Book Award.) The book is so professionally archaeological, so competently dug, that one can mistake its surfaces for depth. But it's like a cemetery with no bodies in it. All the records of life are there, the facts and figures and pocket histories, pointing up out of the ground, but what's buried there was never alive.
added by Shortride | editSlate, James Wood (Dec 24, 1997)

For a first novelist, in fact for any novelist, Charles Frazier has taken on a daunting task -- and has done extraordinarily well by it.

It is difficult to believe in the dreadful but quiet war of organic beings, going on in the peaceful woods, & smiling fields.
   --Darwin, 1839 journal entry
Men ask the way to Cold Mountain.
Cold Mountain: there's no through trail.
   --Han-shan
---for Katherine and Annie
At the first gesture of morning, flies began stirring.
This is the novel that the movie by the same name is based. Please do not combine the movie or abridged versions with this work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0802142842, Paperback)

The hero of Charles Frazier's beautifully written and deeply-imagined first novel is Inman, a disillusioned Confederate soldier who has failed to die as expected after being seriously wounded in battle during the last days of the Civil War. Rather than waiting to be redeployed to the front, the soul-sick Inman deserts, and embarks on a dangerous and lonely odyssey through the devastated South, heading home to North Carolina, and seeking only to be reunited with his beloved, Ada, who has herself been struggling to maintain the family farm she inherited. Cold Mountain is an unforgettable addition to the literature of one of the most important and transformational periods in American history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:00 -0400)

The impact of the Civil War on lovers. Inman is not the man he used to be, as wounded in battle he slowly makes his way home to North Carolina. His sweetheart, Ada, too has changed, no longer a flighty belle but a hard-working farm woman. Will love be the same?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible