The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (edition 2008)

by Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill (Illustrator)

Member:georgematt
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:Kevin O'Neill (Illustrator)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:Graphic Novels, Science Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Special Powers, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Alternate History

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier by Alan Moore

Impossible Territories: An Unofficial Companion to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Jess Nevins (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Impossible Territories is a book-length annotation to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier.
    Lost Girls by Alan Moore (MyriadBooks)

This. was. awful. Truly one of the worst pieces of dreck I have ever had the misery to encounter. It normally takes me 2 hours at most to read a graphic novel volume. I spent at least a month on this piece of crap, because I simply couldn't stand it in more than small increments. And that's with skipping the pages and pages and pages of text. Honestly, why does Moore write comics when he clearly has volumes that he wants to say? I don't open a graphic novel in order to read a novel!! These are a break from pages chock full of words (because as much as I so deeply adore them, it's nice to take a break now and again and admire a story told with some excellent art and few words, instead), what is he doing?! In any case, this was atrocious. "Spoiler" (if you can really call it that), Mina and Alan have somehow managed to turn young?! and we're now in a bizarre "future" with robots and rocket-planes and all sorts of ludicrous goings-ons. The entire premise is ridiculous, there is absolutely nothing worthy in this insanely text-filled graphic novel, including the art.

This piece pretty much made me vow never to touch something of Moore's again. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Nov 9, 2013 |
From glancing over the other reviews for this book, I'm sure that someone is going to say that I am dense and dull for not enjoying it. That's okay, I suspect that it's true.

I adored the first two volumes of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. They were my first introduction to Alan Moore during the very early days of my comic fandom, and I was delighted with how they were darkly funny and smart and full of literary references.

The Black Dossier, however, tries too hard too be all of those things and while I often don't agree when people accuse someone of being "self-indulgent," I think it applies here. The barest, barest bones of a story exist in order to display every literary reference Moore can throw at it, and there were dense pages of prose (the Black Dossier of the title) that seemed like a wasted telling-instead-of-showing overview of the League's history. The final portion of the book was what pushed me from 3 stars to 2, when I was distracted by the 3D gimmick and the bizarrely racist character and the near-manic sing-songy conversation about the Blazing World in which they found themselves. It felt like one of those old Looney Tunes cartoons where everyone is screaming and flying around.

After turning the final page, all I could wonder was, "Just what the hell was the point of all that?" ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 19, 2013 |
I loved the first two volumes of League, but this is pretty crappy. I have a theory that Moore wrote this just to mess with overeager fanboys who insist on pretending they love everything he does; it honestly feels like he's putting a lot of effort into making it totally unreadable. In which case, consider it a smashing success. ( )
  AlCracka | Apr 2, 2013 |
Allan Quartermain and Mina Harker have left MI5 and are now semi-fugitives, attempting to recl;aim a Black Dossier which is hidden in the old Secret Services HQ in Vauxhall, abandoned during the years under Big Brother and during the war with Herr Hynkel. This is a delightful alternate history in which the author and artist pay homage to various literary styles and figures as well as a few iconic comic strip characters.

James Bond is portrayed as being a violent, raping cad of limited intelligence, Bulldog Drummond is a bigotted thug while Billy Bunter, the pathetic caretaker of the derelict Greyfriars school, has never matured and relies on money orders from Mother to keep him going. As we discover later though, when he betrays Mina and Allan to British Intelligence, Mother is not his mum, late of Bunter Court, but his old school chum Bob Cherry, now head of MI5.

Bertie Wooster's account of his dealings with Cthulu is a cleverly accurate pastiche of Wodehouse, while on the visual side there are glimpses of familiar figures like the grandmother in Giles, and Flo and Andy Capp. Even a Dan Dare-like pilot makes on appearance at Britain's Birmingham space port.

It all gets a bit too much when they reach The Blazing World and although 3D glasses are included with the book I didn't bother to
detach them, and from the moment Mina and Allan get picked up by the Golliwog and his Dutch dolls I lost interest. Another iffy point for me was the time-traveling 'prisoner of London'. Quibbles aside however, I enjoyed this book enough to have bought the sequels and plan to revisit the first two. ( )
  adpaton | Jan 31, 2013 |
This was quite an entertaining romp through the history of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The eponymous dossier is a book within a book (stolen by Miss Mina Murray and Allan Quartermain) which details the past adventures of the League, compiled for the attention of Big Brother from 1984. I had previously read the sequel, Century 1910, and not really enjoyed it; I thought the Black Dossier might have been a fizzer. But I was pleasantly surprised and I enjoyed the many literary references. The events of 1910 are mentioned in this book too, but sound much more interesting here than there. The League members don't actually do much except steal the book and read it, but is an enjoyable read. ( )
  questbird | Dec 22, 2012 |
I’m past the point where it’s fun to read comics that feel like homework. The lengthy text sections, mimicking the styles of other, well-known writers, I skipped entirely, because they were overwhelming. I was quite pleased to see, when I went to read the annotations immediately afterwards, that Jess Nevins had done the same thing on one section.

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140120306X, Hardcover)

England in the mid 1950s is not the same as it was. The powers that be have instituted...some changes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have been disbanded and disavowed, and the country is under the control of an iron-fisted regime. Now, after many years, the still youthful Mina Murray and a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain return and are in search of some answers. Answers that can only be found in a book buried deep in the vaults of their old headquarters, a book that holds the key to the hidden history of the League throughout the ages: The Black Dossier. As Allan and Mina delve into the details of their precursors, some dating back centuries, they must elude their dangerous pursuers who are Hell-bent on retrieving the lost manuscript... and ending the League once and for all.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:06 -0400)

In an alternate England in 1958, Mina Murray and Allan Quatermain seek the Black Dossier, which contains the history of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen through the centuries, while fleeing from deadly secret agents.

Knockabout Comics

Two editions of this book were published by Knockabout Comics.

Editions: 086166177X, 0861661761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible