The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier (edition 2008)

by Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill (Illustrator)

Member:georgematt
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier
Authors:Alan Moore
Other authors:Kevin O'Neill (Illustrator)
Info:WildStorm (2008), Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2012
Tags:Graphic Novels, Science Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Special Powers, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy, Alternate History

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier by Alan Moore

Recently added byprivate library, David.Manns, RobertPop, kuzronk, lottpoet, Mrs_McGreevy, dyfdd, MrBirge, FionaLiddle
    Impossible Territories: An Unofficial Companion to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Jess Nevins (aethercowboy)
    aethercowboy: Impossible Territories is a book-length annotation to The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier.
    Lost Girls by Alan Moore (MyriadBooks)

Every time I pick up one of Moore's League books, I'm blown away. He somehow manages to make me simultaneously feel smart for all of the references I catch and stupid for all the ones I know I've missed. This mad notion of knitting together all of the fabled literary worlds and characters into one (mostly) coherent history shouldn't work, but it does.

This newest bit of League history has a whisper-thin plot, but that's really just an excuse to further flesh out this amazing world and to have terrific fun experimenting with different forms and styles. Some of these experiments work better than others: I find both the Beat novels and Lovecraft's work almost unreadable; combining the two (however cleverly) didn't help; on the other hand, if Jeeves and Bertie appeared in all of Lovecraft's stories, I'd read them a lot more frequently.

The package itself is amazing. Different art styles, different paper textures, a Tijuana Bible, an unbelievably gorgeous 3-D section (glasses are included); as an art object, it's beautiful. The fact that there actually is a story to hang it all on, however thin, is really just the icing on the cake.

NOTE: Those of you familiar with the previous volumes are no doubt also familiar with the redoutable Jess Nevins and his panel-by-panel annotations of those works. A book of annotations for The Black Dossier is forthcoming, but until then, you can get Jess's annotations and notes can get them here:

http://www.shsu.edu/~lib_jjn/dossier.html ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
This has the best concept of all the latter-day LOEGs: in a post-postwar, post-Big-Brother-government (think if instead of the Attlee government a bunch of public schoolboys unleashed 1984), Mina Murray and Allan Quatermain (now immortal as a result of having bathed in the pool from Rider Haggard's She) do some cloak-and-dagger shit to get the dossier and find out the amazing history of the group of which they are a part (going back to Prospero, Gulliver, etc.), while on the run from Harry Lime and an evil James Bond and Miss Knight from The Avengers. It gets the grey period atmosphere just right and adds that soupçon of post-totalitarian trauma (I like the idea too of its not being a real evil world-system but just a pack of lies fed to the British for a decade or so; gives you sort of a new glimpse at the psychological reality of say the Hitler or Kim periods, which remade the world nearly as much for their subjects, nearly as fast). And the passages in Newspeak, giving us new valuable corpus data on that malignant language, are great, especially the warning "THIS WARN YOU" at the start of the dossier. The stories from the dossier themselves are a mixed bag and slow down the momentum; too often it's a pedantic crawl as you decide whether to give a shit about the various obscurities Moore is dragging in and head to the LOEG wikis to look 'em up or just press on, or a Fanny Hill sexy chapbook because modern sex is trashy and oldtimey sex is classy, right Alan Moore? Urgh. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | May 8, 2016 |
I can not rate this....but for sure it wasn't my taste. I read this because 2 librarians in KY stole it from their library so that an 11-year old girl (and others) couldn't read it, as they deemed it "vulgar".

Well it can be [vulgar]...there are illustrated pages from "Fanny Hill" in it... it's a spy story, it is violent, there in full frontal female nudity...it's a comic book.

I'll tell you, I'd not ban it from the library, but I wouldn't allow my child (if I had one) to read this. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
Author: Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill
Publisher: America’s Best Comics
Published In: La Jolla, CA
Date: 2008
Pgs: 200

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
It’s the 1950s. And the world needs a League again. As time passes, the world wanders further and further afield from the prime alternate reality. Changes have swept this world. The League is disapproved of, disbanded, and disavowed. An iron regime has taken control. Mina and Allan search for answers. Answers that can only be found in a book hidden in the vaults of their old HQ. The hidden history of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Black Dossier.

Genre:
Sword and sorcery
Thrillers
Vampires

Why this book:
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...I’ve always loved the concept.

Favorite Character:
Orlando, transgender immortal, who has stood beside humanity through many of their triumphs and tragedies.

Least Favorite Character:
Jimmy Bond. He’s a rapist and a douche. He’s a horrible character with no redeeming factors. He’s the worst parts of Bond with none of the best.

The Feel:
The feel shifts between when they get the Dossier and when they attempt to flee with it. In the first place they could have stood down Jimmy, but in the second all they can do is run from him. I don’t like the flip.

Hmm Moments:
The Bondian character being an almost rapist before the lady puts him in his place. And the name she gives him...good lord...so very Ian Fleming like Odette O’Quim...nickname Oodles O’Quim. Bondian.

Great use of Dr. No and Felix Leiter. I love Bond, but great to see him played as a prick here.

Why isn’t there a screenplay?
Wish there were more LEG movies. I loved the one that we got.

Casting call:
Ewan McGregor as the rejuvenated Allan Quatermain.

Last Page Sound:
It’s good, but I wish Mina and Allan would have put paid to Jimmy.

Author Assessment:
Absolutley will read more Allan Moore.

Editorial Assessment:
Wish they had pushed them a bit more on the ending. The 3-D denoument is odd.

Knee Jerk Reaction:

Would recommend to:
genre fans

Errata: ( )
1 vote texascheeseman | Sep 7, 2015 |
I read this book in 2011 and really enjoyed it. It came to mind because it is sort of kind-of-but-not-really-but-yes-somewhat similar to the book S. It isn't nearly as existential, and it's a graphic novel first and foremost, but it has different media within it (it even has 3d glasses), and notes written in the book from one character to another. The artwork can occasionally be raw (this isn't for children at all), but if you like the unusual, it is an entertaining read, and gives a different view of "comics" (I like the word sequentials better but anyway) as it has nothing really to do with superheroes, as such. ( )
  KVHardy | Jan 2, 2015 |
I’m past the point where it’s fun to read comics that feel like homework. The lengthy text sections, mimicking the styles of other, well-known writers, I skipped entirely, because they were overwhelming. I was quite pleased to see, when I went to read the annotations immediately afterwards, that Jess Nevins had done the same thing on one section.

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dimagmaliw, BenColouristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oakley, BillLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Information from the English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140120306X, Hardcover)

England in the mid 1950s is not the same as it was. The powers that be have instituted...some changes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have been disbanded and disavowed, and the country is under the control of an iron-fisted regime. Now, after many years, the still youthful Mina Murray and a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain return and are in search of some answers. Answers that can only be found in a book buried deep in the vaults of their old headquarters, a book that holds the key to the hidden history of the League throughout the ages: The Black Dossier. As Allan and Mina delve into the details of their precursors, some dating back centuries, they must elude their dangerous pursuers who are Hell-bent on retrieving the lost manuscript... and ending the League once and for all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

In an alternate England in 1958, Mina Murray and Allan Quatermain seek the Black Dossier, which contains the history of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen through the centuries, while fleeing from deadly secret agents.

Knockabout Comics

2 editions of this book were published by Knockabout Comics.

Editions: 086166177X, 0861661761

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,727,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible