The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black…

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier (League of… (edition 2012)

by Kevin O'Neill & Alan Moore

Member:geoffgibbs
Title:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier (League of Extraordinary Gentmn)
Authors:Kevin O'Neill & Alan Moore
Info:Knockabout (2012), Paperback, 208 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:lxg, graphic novel

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: The Black Dossier by Alan Moore

A dazzling stew of innumerable bits and pieces from British fiction, all jumbled and sorted into a semi-coherent narrative about the League throughout the ages, and more broadly, humanity's relationship with the spiritual, the fantastic, the imagined.

It's great brain-exercise, connecting the dots Moore sprinkles on; keep Wikipedia at hand and look up any name you come across.

It's a great bit of boy-detective fun, but as in the first two volumes of the League, the actual plot is a bit impersonal and cold, smart but with less heart than Moore is known to have. Perhaps I'm spoiled, coming off a Swamp Thing run, but I wish there were stronger personal stories among the various - clearly masterful - historic and literary references. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Written and drawn in a variety of styles, the Black Dossier is essentially the hidden history of the League and hence the world. In this tale we discovered the origins of James Bond's boss "M", "Q", Orlando, the very first League, the 1910 German (lead by Dr. Mabuse!) and the 1911 French incarnations of the league. We learned how Mina Murray first met Nemo (remember they are both part of the team in the first issue.) Also, there is an excellent piece on occult history by Oliver Haddo that ties Melniboné, Hyperborea, and the Great Old Ones into our reality. Allusions to 1984 abound. How exactly do Gloriana, Fanny Hill, Harry Lime, and Shakespeare tie into the tale is quite amazing... and let us not forget Wilhelmina Murray and Allan Quartermain.

Not all the styles work (the Beat portion is just a mess) but the for the majority the quality is top notch Moore and O'Neill Not surprisingly, the 3-d elements are much more than a gimmick but actually play into the story.

Though plans are afoot for an Absolute edition, rumor has it that there will be NO paperback version. Since this hardback includes various paper stocks, a Tijuana bible insert, and a 3-d story (including glasses), a paperback would probably be in the $25 range. Given the excellent quality of the art and story combined with the fact that The League of Extraordinary Gentleman stories need to be re-read, at $30 this book is a steal. It will be the best $30 you've spent on a book in a long time.

****SPOILER WARNING****

While a fascinating and engaging read, the book ultimately fails to deliver on the most enjoyable and interesting aspect of [book:The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen] tales. The stories move from what if these fantastic beings actually existed in our mundane world to making the world more fantastic than these beings. I realize that this was Moore's purpose, I just prefer the sense of wonder and amazement in the former.

That being said, it is still an amazing piece of work and well worth reading and owning. ( )
  rickklaw | Oct 13, 2017 |
Hard to follow if you haven't grounded yourself in the first two volumes, but rewarding for the spot on stylistic impersonations from Shakespeare to Wodehouse and several others in between. Most impressive was the 'beat' style which so so realistic I skipped it entirely after two sentences, just like real beat writing. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Every time I pick up one of Moore's League books, I'm blown away. He somehow manages to make me simultaneously feel smart for all of the references I catch and stupid for all the ones I know I've missed. This mad notion of knitting together all of the fabled literary worlds and characters into one (mostly) coherent history shouldn't work, but it does.

This newest bit of League history has a whisper-thin plot, but that's really just an excuse to further flesh out this amazing world and to have terrific fun experimenting with different forms and styles. Some of these experiments work better than others: I find both the Beat novels and Lovecraft's work almost unreadable; combining the two (however cleverly) didn't help; on the other hand, if Jeeves and Bertie appeared in all of Lovecraft's stories, I'd read them a lot more frequently.

The package itself is amazing. Different art styles, different paper textures, a Tijuana Bible, an unbelievably gorgeous 3-D section (glasses are included); as an art object, it's beautiful. The fact that there actually is a story to hang it all on, however thin, is really just the icing on the cake.

NOTE: Those of you familiar with the previous volumes are no doubt also familiar with the redoutable Jess Nevins and his panel-by-panel annotations of those works. A book of annotations for The Black Dossier is forthcoming, but until then, you can get Jess's annotations and notes can get them here:

http://www.shsu.edu/~lib_jjn/dossier.html ( )
1 vote Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
This has the best concept of all the latter-day LOEGs: in a post-postwar, post-Big-Brother-government (think if instead of the Attlee government a bunch of public schoolboys unleashed 1984), Mina Murray and Allan Quatermain (now immortal as a result of having bathed in the pool from Rider Haggard's She) do some cloak-and-dagger shit to get the dossier and find out the amazing history of the group of which they are a part (going back to Prospero, Gulliver, etc.), while on the run from Harry Lime and an evil James Bond and Miss Knight from The Avengers. It gets the grey period atmosphere just right and adds that soupçon of post-totalitarian trauma (I like the idea too of its not being a real evil world-system but just a pack of lies fed to the British for a decade or so; gives you sort of a new glimpse at the psychological reality of say the Hitler or Kim periods, which remade the world nearly as much for their subjects, nearly as fast). And the passages in Newspeak, giving us new valuable corpus data on that malignant language, are great, especially the warning "THIS WARN YOU" at the start of the dossier. The stories from the dossier themselves are a mixed bag and slow down the momentum; too often it's a pedantic crawl as you decide whether to give a shit about the various obscurities Moore is dragging in and head to the LOEG wikis to look 'em up or just press on, or a Fanny Hill sexy chapbook because modern sex is trashy and oldtimey sex is classy, right Alan Moore? Urgh. ( )
2 vote MeditationesMartini | May 8, 2016 |
I’m past the point where it’s fun to read comics that feel like homework. The lengthy text sections, mimicking the styles of other, well-known writers, I skipped entirely, because they were overwhelming. I was quite pleased to see, when I went to read the annotations immediately afterwards, that Jess Nevins had done the same thing on one section.

Alan Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
O'Neill, KevinIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dimagmaliw, BenColouristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Klein, ToddLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oakley, BillLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140120306X, Hardcover)

England in the mid 1950s is not the same as it was. The powers that be have instituted...some changes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen have been disbanded and disavowed, and the country is under the control of an iron-fisted regime. Now, after many years, the still youthful Mina Murray and a rejuvenated Allan Quatermain return and are in search of some answers. Answers that can only be found in a book buried deep in the vaults of their old headquarters, a book that holds the key to the hidden history of the League throughout the ages: The Black Dossier. As Allan and Mina delve into the details of their precursors, some dating back centuries, they must elude their dangerous pursuers who are Hell-bent on retrieving the lost manuscript... and ending the League once and for all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:44 -0400)

In an alternate England in 1958, Mina Murray and Allan Quatermain seek the Black Dossier, which contains the history of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen through the centuries, while fleeing from deadly secret agents.

Knockabout Comics

2 editions of this book were published by Knockabout Comics.

Editions: 086166177X, 0861661761

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,977,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible