You Cannot Be Serious by John McEnroe

You Cannot Be Serious (2002)

by John McEnroe, James Kaplan

If you're a tennis fan like myself, you'll really enjoy hearing about all his classic matches. If not, maybe not so much. ( )
  bpeters65 | Jul 16, 2016 |
September 17.
Just finished it and I really enjoyed reading about all the tennis players back in the days. I was always rooting for McEnroe while my mom wanted Borg to win.
Never was a fan of Ivan Lendl. Interesting read. He is not as mean about Tatum as she was about him in her book.
I do think reading this what a miserable sod is this guy. He appears to be never happy. Not when he won, not when he was married. I wanted to read more about his life with Tatum, about his own drug use, and hers!. It was all superficial and that is why I prefer biographies instead of autobiographies.
I do give it an 8 just because I like to read the stories of back in the days. Hope there is another book about him not written by McEnroe.

Oh and by the way, what a jealous guy he is. He does not even want his own brother to win? geez. And every time he lost he had an excuse, fog, referee, Connors, etcetera. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
I loved this book. Was too much of a Lendl fan to appreciate McEnroe when he was at the peak of his playing powers, but this book is fascinating and very well done. Especially delightful are the mentions of players whose very existence I had forgotten about. I ( )
  MrsFionaC | Oct 14, 2012 |
Excellent and insightful autobiography by John McEnroe. This follows McEnroe's tennis career and life beyond in pretty good detail. No doubt it's biased, but being a McEnroe fan, I didn't mind. He does not paint himself a picture of perfection and instead offers up some introspective thoughts on who he is, events that shaped him, and what has been his life.

McEnroe comes off as extremely intelligent and thoughtful, both traits I like in a person and a book. There is something for everyone in this book, whether you be a tennis fan, parent, or simply curious about the man behind the rants.

His top 10 changes for tennis, at the back of the book, are great as well. I wish the powers that be in tennis would take heed. ( )
  ironicqueery | Feb 5, 2009 |
Hero ( )
  davidroche | Jan 21, 2008 |

John McEnroeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kaplan, Jamesmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Patty -- My soul mate, my partner in crime--we were meant for each other.
I hate alarm clocks.

John McEnroe was just an eighteen-year-old amateur from Queens when he stunned the tennis world by making it to the Wimbledon semifinals in 1977. He turned pro the following year after winning the NCAA singles title; three years later, he was ranked number one in the world. McEnroe dominated tennis in the eighties, winning three Wimbledon and four U.S. Open titles. His 1980 Wimbledon final match with Bjorn Borg is considered by many tennis experts to be the best match ever.

You Cannot Be Serious is McEnroe at his most personal, a no-holds-barred examination of contemporary tennis, his championship seasons, his cantankerous on-court behavior, his marriage to Tatum O'Neal, his current roles as a devoted father, husband to pop star Patty Smyth, senior tennis tour player, and controversial television commentator, and much more.

Funny, biting, close to the bone, this is exactly the book you'd expect-and want-from one of the most colorful figures of our time.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

The author describes his rise to success in the world of professional tennis, his controversial on-court behavior, his marriages to actress Tatum O'Neal and pop star Patty Smyth, and his current roles as father, tennis player, and TV commentator.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,049,157 books! | Top bar: Always visible