Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Second Generation

by Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman

Series: Dragonlance: The Second Generation (1), Dragonlance (378 AC)

Years have passed since the end of the War of the Lance. The people of Ansalon have rebuilt their lives, their houses, their families. The Companions of the Lance, too, have returned to their homes, raising children and putting the days of their heroic deeds behind them. But peace on Krynn comes at a price. The forces of darkness are ever vigilant, searching for ways to erode the balance of power and take control. When subtle changes begin to permeate the fragile peace, new lives are drawn into the web of fate woven around all the races. The time has come to pass the sword -- or the staff -- to the children of the Lance. They are the Second Generation.… (more)

Not as good as the Twins series, but still enjoyable. I like the new characters, though I do miss the old ones. ( )
  b_coli | Nov 25, 2020 |
I liked this book,you get to meet a few kids of the Heroes of the Lance Wars.They get to go on and start their adventures. ( )
  chalton | Jul 14, 2020 |
I'm just a sucker for punishment, so I'm going to keep going down the Dragonlance rabbit-hole a few more books.

Unlike other recent reviews, this Dragonlance novel was new to me. It represented a return by Weis and Hickman to TSR in 1994, after the fairly successful 'Darksword' and 'Rose of the Prophet' trilogies and the still-in-print 'Death Gate Cycle' for Bantam-Spectra. Sidebar: 'Rose of the Prophet' had queer characters, which, despite other issues, made it ground-breaking and I have really fond memories of that trilogy that I won't ruin with a reread...yet.

Anyway, 'The Second Generation' is my first new Dragonlance in almost twenty years so I was a little too hopeful. My main problems with my other rereads have been the lack of depth to world-building and how the stories didn't seem to merit a second go-round.

Well, this first go-round wasn't that awesome. I had a lot of issues with how women are treated and the lack of depth to the stories in general. I've already read a little ways into 'Dragons of Summer Flame' and I'm not convinced that the insights into the characters provided here are necessary.

There's a little blurb in the front of the book warning readers that these stories may contradict other books they've read, but don't worry, its because the Heroes of the Lance are so legendary all sorts of things have been written/said about them. This is patent bull-shit. I'm sorry TSR, but you made decisions with those 80-odd books covering every single side character and their histories and you should stick to them. How did it feel to the fans who had bought and enjoyed those novels and discover they're no longer canon? Boooo!

So, these stories begin the over-writing and ret-conning of Dragonlance, for better or worse depending on your biases. I have strong feelings about it, obviously, but the real deciding factor is that these stories are just not that good. I don't think Weis and Hickman were feeling the characters the way they used to and the two new stories for this book dealing with Steel Brightblade and Gilthas Three-Quarter-Elven make women all the more insignificant in this universe. Where is the Weis that protested Hickman's decision that Laurana would betray millions to save her boyfriend?

We'll see if she turns up again.

Dragonlance

Next: 'Dragons of Summer Flame'

Previous: 'The Test of the Twins' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Aug 6, 2019 |
This is actually a collection of short stories about the children of some of the Heroes of the Lance stories noted earlier. There are two about Caramon's three sons, two warriors who join the Solamnic Knights and their youngest brother Palin, an apprentice White mage. There is another about the legend of Raistlin's Daughter and also one about Tanis' sickly boy when he grows up. Being 1/4 human and 3/4 elf must be awkward no matter what happens. I enjoyed these short stories, but to someone who hasn't read the stories of the parents, they might seem a bit shallow or at least the reader might miss some nuances of character. ( )
  DirtPriest | Sep 13, 2010 |
This book is made up of five separate stories instead of the classic epic spanning a trilogy. It's non-essential for someone simply looking to continue with the story, but it fills in the exceptionally large gap between Test of the Twins and Dragons of Summer Flame. Each story focuses on the children of the Heroes of the Lance. They serve as little introductions to the new characters who take over the spotlight from their parents in the following books and fill in some backstory which some might consider essential to the full effect of the rest of the series.
I do have to say that at least one of these stories is misleading, because it's technically not true and you don't find that out until at least the next book or two. I only mention this because my boyfriend was reading it and was led astray by the story, so he decided to bother me with questions until he sorted it out. ( )
  samlives2 | Mar 5, 2010 |

Margaret Weisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hickman, Tracymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Dragonlance (378 AC)

Belongs to Publisher Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,670,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible