Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Kidnapped (1886)

by Robert Louis Stevenson

Series: David Balfour (1)

English (85)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (88)
This kid is tricked by his uncle. It's very adventurey and reminds me of Treasure Island, which makes sense, since this is by the same author.

Not really much else to say about this book. ( )
  Floyd3345 | Jun 15, 2019 |
This was one of my very favoritest books when I was eleven or so, and it holds up pretty well now. David's adventures are saved from being too episodic (which I usually don't care for) by the drive to get home and claim his inheritance. Alan Breck Stewart (he bears a king's name!) is entertaining throughout, and there's a good deal of Scottish Highland politics, scenery, and culture, which is just as fascinating to me now as it was when I was a kid. I had forgotten just how long David and Alan mess about in the Highlands, going from one sympathetic family or clan to another (this bit is much shortened in the 1960 Disney movie, which I watched ad nauseam in the same period I was reading the book over and over). There's also an important bit as they exit the Highlands which was changed from book to film (and I think the film version is better). Overall an enjoyable read, and one which was enriched by the fact that since I'd last read it, I've been to some of the places where the book is set (particularly Edinburgh).

***For Book Club ~May 2019 ( )
  lycomayflower | Jun 1, 2019 |
This was not the second piratical, high seas adventure I'd been expecting after 'Treasure Island', but it was a good yarn.

'Kidnapped' is actually only half of the novel Stevenson meant to write, the other half being 'Catriona' (or 'David Balfour' depending on the edition you have). It concerns a young boy, recently orphaned and awfully plucky about it, too. He sets off to his only living relative, an Uncle Ebenezer, at the ancestral home. This sets off a chain of events that leads him up the Scottish coast and across wild highlands.

David and his unlikely comrade Alan Breck make this a much more comfortable buddy adventure than the one shared between Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver, probably because Alan very quickly stops trying to kill him. Stevenson's dedication to historical accuracy and the vividness of his picture of the highlands in the late 18th century makes this a compelling read for an adult, and the action is swift enough to keep the kind of child to pick this up in the first place more than occupied. I urge readers to finish the story the way Stevenson wanted it to be by picking up 'David Balfour/Catriona' as soon as possible while the details are fresh.

David Balfour

Next: 'Catriona' ( )
1 vote ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
Disappointing and dated. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Dec 17, 2018 |
After his father's death in 1751, young David Balfour learns about an uncle he'd never heard of before. David is surprised to learn that he is the heir to an estate, but before he can get used to the idea, his uncle has him kidnapped on a ship headed for the American colonies. En route, he befriends Jacobite Alan Breck Stewart. Although the highland Catholic Alan and the lowland Protestant David make an unlikely pair, they share adventures including shipwreck and pursuit through the highlands. It's an entertaining tail of adventure, and it's worth reading just to get acquainted with David Balfour. I listened to the audio version and I found it difficult to understand the reader's accent and the somewhat archaic Scots dialect. ( )
  cbl_tn | Sep 16, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Charles Baxter
MY DEAR CHARLES BAXTER:

If you ever read this tale, you will likely ask yourself more questions than I should care to answer: as for instance how the Appin murder has come to fall in the year 1751, how the Torran rocks have crept so near to Earraid, or why the printed trial is silent as to all that touches David Balfour. These are nuts beyond my ability to crack. But if you tried me on the point of Alan's guilt or innocence, I think I could defend the reading of the text. To this day you will find the tradition of Appin clear in Alan's favour. If you inquire, you may even hear that the descendants of "the other man" who fired the shot are in the country to this day. But that other man's name, inquire as you please, you shall not hear; for the Highlander values a secret for itself and for the congenial exercise of keeping it I might go on for long to justify one point and own another indefensible; it is more honest to confess at once how little I am touched by the desire of accuracy. This is no furniture for the scholar's library, but a book for the winter evening school-room when the tasks are over and the hour for bed draws near; and honest Alan, who was a grim old fire-eater in his day has in this new avatar no more desperate purpose than to steal some young gentleman's attention from his Ovid, carry him awhile into the Highlands and the last century, and pack him to bed with some engaging images to mingle with his dreams.

As for you, my dear Charles, I do not even ask you to like this tale. But perhaps when he is older, your son will; he may then be pleased to find his father's name on the fly-leaf; and in the meanwhile it pleases me to set it there, in memory of many days that were happy and some (now perhaps as pleasant to remember) that were sad. If it is strange for me to look back from a distance both in time and space on these bygone adventures of our youth, it must be stranger for you who tread the same streets--who may to-morrow open the door of the old Speculative, where we begin to rank with Scott and Robert Emmet and the beloved and inglorious Macbean--or may pass the corner of the close where that great society, the L. J. R., held its meetings and drank its beer, sitting in the seats of Burns and his companions. I think I see you, moving there by plain daylight, beholding with your natural eyes those places that have now become for your companion a part of the scenery of dreams. How, in the intervals of present business, the past must echo in your memory! Let it not echo often without some kind thoughts of your friend,

R.L.S. SKERRYVORE, BOURNEMOUTH.
I will begin the story of my adventures with a certain morning early in the month of June, the year of grace 1751, when I took the key for the last time out of the door of my father's house.
(from the Illustrated Junior Library edition, 1948) I will begin the story of my adventures with a certain morning early in the month of June, the year of grace 1751, when I took the key for the lat time out of the door of my father's house.
This is the main work for Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
This work is Stevensons's Kidnapped (unabridged).  Please do not combine with collected works, anthologies or abridged editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439295785, Mass Market Paperback)

Stevenson's famous novel of seafaring adventure, with an introduction by TK

Shipwreck. Murder. Flight. Intrigue. And, of course, kidnapping. David Balfour's adventures on the high seas are among the most evocative in classic literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

In 1751 in Scotland, cheated out of his inheritance by a greedy uncle who has him kidnapped and put on a ship to the Carolinas, seventeen-year-old David Balfour escapes to the Highlands with the help of the Jacobite Alan Breck Stewart and there encounters further danger and intrigue as he attempts to clear his name and regain his property.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441798, 0141326026, 0451531434

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,571,833 books! | Top bar: Always visible