Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Kidnapped (original 1886; edition 1941)

by Robert Louis Stevenson, N C Wyeth (Illustrator)

Member:katylit
Title:Kidnapped
Authors:Robert Louis Stevenson
Other authors:N C Wyeth (Illustrator)
Info:Chas Scribner's Sons, 1941 (1941), Unknown Binding
Tags:fiction, adventure, British

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (1886)

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (edjane)
    The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan (chrisharpe)
    Birthright: The True Story that Inspired Kidnapped by A. Roger Ekirch (kraaivrouw)
    The Amateur Emigrant / The Silverado Squatters by Robert Louis Stevenson (John_Vaughan)
    Middle Passage by Charles Johnson (thesmellofbooks)
    thesmellofbooks: Young men in dire straits on the open seas, a background of oppression, and historical richness are a few of the elements these books share. They are both ripping good yarns.
    Foundling by D. M. Cornish (Nikkles)

English (73)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
A young man is dispossessed by his 'evil' uncle and has many challenges on his way back to reclaiming his inheritance. Despite the unrealistic story line the hardships of young David Balfour are portrayed realistically. ( )
  kale.dyer | Aug 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed Michael Page's narration very much & his Scottish burr seemed spot on to these American ears. Betrayal, friendship and adventure in 1751 Scotland with some Jacobite politics in the background... What fun! ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 17, 2016 |
It's been such a long time since I've read this. A ripping good yarn! ( )
  hhornblower | Jun 17, 2016 |
Book Description Spirited, romantic, and full of danger, Kidnapped is Robert Louis Stevenson's classic of high adventure. Beloved by generations, it is the saga of David Balfour, a young heir whose greedy uncle connives to do him out of his inherited fortune and plots to have him seized and sold into slavery. But honor, loyalty, and courage are rewarded; the orphan and castaway survives kidnapping and shipwreck, is rescued by a daredevil of a rogue, and makes a thrilling escape to freedom.

My Review I love Robert Louis Stevenson's writing and Kidnapped, I believe, is his best book. He gives us the character of David Balfour who you can't help but wish that things would go his way and he would come into his inheritance. It is set in the 18th century Scottish highlands and I would recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 3, 2016 |
Kidnapped
By Robert Louis Stevenson
Narrated by Kieron Elliott
Ⓟ 2015, Recorded Books
9 hrs and 7 mins
CLASSIC / ADVENTURE

Set in the seventeenth century, newly orphaned seventeen-year old David Balfour, discovers that he is of the wealthy House of Shaws and heads to Edinburgh to meet his relatives. Once in the city, however, he finds that his only extant relative is a squirrelly uncle who is clearly a threat to David’s own life. After a particularly close brush with death, David is tricked onboard a ship and whisked away on to a life of hardship and adventure including ship battles, ship wreck, mutiny, and running with outlaws. The story is everything you would want and expect for a tale of swashbuckling heroism, clever ruses, and breath taking scenes of danger! The only thing missing is a damsel in distress; but as a “boy’s tale” the lack of a romance isn’t surprising.

Kieron Elliot is a “Scottish actor, host, voice over artist and comedian” who narrats this classic tale, slowly and carefully; and with a full-on Scottish brogue. There is the temptation to speed up the recording; but the special (nautical), archaic, and idiomatic language of the novel demands a more considered approach, especially to American listeners’ ears. However, as much of a sucker for a Scottish accent that you may be [Ahem, me], his deliberate pace and lack of narrative flow mark him as a novice audiobook narrator. Indeed, it appears that he has only narrated one other audiobook, a romance for Harper Audio under the name Kieran Elliott, 'To Marry A Scottish Laird' (by Lyndsey Sands). Still, I would have liked to have heard more from this narrator. There is the sense that once he “gets” narration as an admixture of voice over and performance, he would be a top tier narrator.

OTHER: I received a CD Library edition of Kidnapped (by Robert Louis Stevenson; narrated by Kieron Elliott) from Recorded Books in exchange for review. I receive no monies, goods (beyond the audiobook) or services in exchange for reviewing the product and/or mentioning any of the persons or companies that are or may be implied in this post. ( )
  Tanya-dogearedcopy | Mar 11, 2016 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Charles Baxter
MY DEAR CHARLES BAXTER:

If you ever read this tale, you will likely ask yourself more questions than I should care to answer: as for instance how the Appin murder has come to fall in the year 1751, how the Torran rocks have crept so near to Earraid, or why the printed trial is silent as to all that touches David Balfour. These are nuts beyond my ability to crack. But if you tried me on the point of Alan's guilt or innocence, I think I could defend the reading of the text. To this day you will find the tradition of Appin clear in Alan's favour. If you inquire, you may even hear that the descendants of "the other man" who fired the shot are in the country to this day. But that other man's name, inquire as you please, you shall not hear; for the Highlander values a secret for itself and for the congenial exercise of keeping it I might go on for long to justify one point and own another indefensible; it is more honest to confess at once how little I am touched by the desire of accuracy. This is no furniture for the scholar's library, but a book for the winter evening school-room when the tasks are over and the hour for bed draws near; and honest Alan, who was a grim old fire-eater in his day has in this new avatar no more desperate purpose than to steal some young gentleman's attention from his Ovid, carry him awhile into the Highlands and the last century, and pack him to bed with some engaging images to mingle with his dreams.

As for you, my dear Charles, I do not even ask you to like this tale. But perhaps when he is older, your son will; he may then be pleased to find his father's name on the fly-leaf; and in the meanwhile it pleases me to set it there, in memory of many days that were happy and some (now perhaps as pleasant to remember) that were sad. If it is strange for me to look back from a distance both in time and space on these bygone adventures of our youth, it must be stranger for you who tread the same streets--who may to-morrow open the door of the old Speculative, where we begin to rank with Scott and Robert Emmet and the beloved and inglorious Macbean--or may pass the corner of the close where that great society, the L. J. R., held its meetings and drank its beer, sitting in the seats of Burns and his companions. I think I see you, moving there by plain daylight, beholding with your natural eyes those places that have now become for your companion a part of the scenery of dreams. How, in the intervals of present business, the past must echo in your memory! Let it not echo often without some kind thoughts of your friend,

R.L.S. SKERRYVORE, BOURNEMOUTH.
I will begin the story of my adventures with a certain morning early in the month of June, the year of grace 1751, when I took the key for the last time out of the door of my father's house.
This is the main work for Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Do not combine with any abridgement, adaptation, etc.
This work is Stevensons's Kidnapped (unabridged).  Please do not combine with collected works, anthologies or abridged editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0439295785, Mass Market Paperback)

Stevenson's famous novel of seafaring adventure, with an introduction by TK

Shipwreck. Murder. Flight. Intrigue. And, of course, kidnapping. David Balfour's adventures on the high seas are among the most evocative in classic literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:30 -0400)

In 1751 in Scotland, cheated out of his inheritance by a greedy uncle who has him kidnapped and put on a ship to the Carolinas, seventeen-year-old David Balfour escapes to the Highlands with the help of the Jacobite Alan Breck Stewart and there encounters further danger and intrigue as he attempts to clear his name and regain his property.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441798, 0141326026, 0451531434

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,335,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible