The Memoirs of Cleopatra (1997)

by Margaret George

Series: The Memoirs of Cleopatra (Complete)

A famous femme fatale tells all in this memoir of her reign as Cleopatra VII, queen of Egypt. Yes, it is true, she did have herself smuggled, wrapped in a rug to Julius Caesar's bedroom, and was pleasantly surprised. As for Marc Antony, a gorgeous man. From her earliest memories, to her final days as she prepares to commit suicide by snake bite. By the author of The Autobiography of Henry VIII.… (more)

Margaret George breathes life into the character through an interesting style and plot. The reader gets to know Cleopatra quite well as George takes her through the workings of her mind and the reason for her decisions. ( )
  ashkrishwrites | Aug 29, 2018 |
[The Memoirs of Cleopatra] by [Margaret George]. This 976 page tome took me months to complete. When reading historical fiction in which I am not learned, I have a compulsion to check out and research many of the claims/personages contained within. I found that this book is very historical accurate as to battles and personages. This book was written in the 1st person with Cleopatra as the narrator. The "fiction" that comes to play are the conversations she has with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony. The last chapter of the book the author discusses her years of research in preparation of writing this book. ( )
  Tess_W | Jun 2, 2018 |
Well done and engaging. A bit long at times, especially when it came to war segments, but the details were so well-considered. One had to remind oneself that this was fiction, because it was easy to start thinking you were reading the actual accounting. ( )
  Lit_Cat | Dec 9, 2017 |
Interesting book...but far too long in my opinion. I feel a little like shouting, "Free at last"! This book just went on and on and while I found it pretty interesting at first, I got really sick of the battles and the dragging to the inevitable end. But I will say that Margaret George always inspires me to examine the history behind the fiction so I did do some quick research on Cleopatra and I will most likely look for more information. Being on the losing side and a woman besides, Cleopatra's story - the real story - will never be known and I did appreciate this author's attempt to make her more 3 dimensional. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Excellent historical novel re a woman who may not have been as stunning as Elizabeth Taylor, but who definitely was *the* woman back then - well educated and a great ruler. Wonderful detail and surprisingly true to what [supposedly] really was the case - or at least as true as it can be determined at this distance. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

my Cleopatra Selene,
and Paul
a bit of Caesar, Antony, and especially Olympos
all in one
Warmth. Wind. Dancing blue waters, and the sound of waves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,765,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible