Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition) by…

Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Margaret George

Member:booksandwine
Title:Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Margaret George
Info:Macmillan (1998), Paperback, 1152 pages

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (1997)

Interesting book...but far too long in my opinion. I feel a little like shouting, "Free at last"! This book just went on and on and while I found it pretty interesting at first, I got really sick of the battles and the dragging to the inevitable end. But I will say that Margaret George always inspires me to examine the history behind the fiction so I did do some quick research on Cleopatra and I will most likely look for more information. Being on the losing side and a woman besides, Cleopatra's story - the real story - will never be known and I did appreciate this author's attempt to make her more 3 dimensional. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Excellent historical novel re a woman who may not have been as stunning as Elizabeth Taylor, but who definitely was *the* woman back then - well educated and a great ruler. Wonderful detail and surprisingly true to what [supposedly] really was the case - or at least as true as it can be determined at this distance. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
This account of Cleopatra's life drew me in from the first page and held my attention throughout. It was Egypt in all it's glory and splendour with believable characters, both real and fictional, and it brought the period brilliantly to life. Loved it! ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
I was intimidated by the thickness of the book but once I got into it, found it fascinating. Having read other books about Cleopatra, I enjoyed reading her 'take' on her life. Actually, fairly balanced. I didn't like Anthony or see what she saw in him, but who's to say why people come together. There must have been something. ( )
  VictoriaJZ | Mar 14, 2015 |
I very much enjoyed this book, but boy is it long - almost 1200 pages. Cleopatra's story is fascinating, and Ms. George really brings it to life. I thought there was a bit too much description compared to action, perhaps because the story was so compelling I wanted to hurry up and find out what happened next. Excellent description of court and political intrigues, and how Cleopatra excelled at them. As a historical novelist myself, I'm pretty fussy about other books in my genre, and I heartily recommend this one. It would be a great novel for an e-reader; then you don't have to cart around such a heavy tome around.
[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |

my Cleopatra Selene,
and Paul
a bit of Caesar, Antony, and especially Olympos
all in one
Warmth. Wind. Dancing blue waters, and the sound of waves.

Bestselling novelist Margaret George brings to life the glittering kingdom of Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, in this luch, sweeping, and richly detailed saga. Told in Cleopatra's own voice, this is a mesmerizing tale of ambition, passion, and betrayl, which begins when the twenty-year-old queen seeks out the most powerful man in the world, Julius Caesar, and does not end until, having survived the assassination of Caesar and the defeat of the second man she loves, Marc Antony, she plots her own death rather than be paraded in triumph through the streets of Rome.

Most of all, in its richness and authenticity, it is an irresistible story that reveals why Margaret George's work has been widely acclaimed as "the best kind of historical novel, one the reader can't wait to get lost in." (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:19 -0400)

A famous femme fatale tells all in this memoir of her reign as Cleopatra VII, queen of Egypt. Yes, it is true, she did have herself smuggled, wrapped in a rug to Julius Caesar's bedroom, and was pleasantly surprised. As for Marc Antony, a gorgeous man. From her earliest memories, to her final days as she prepares to commit suicide by snake bite. By the author of The Autobiography of Henry VIII.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,841,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible