Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition) by…

Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Margaret George

Member:booksandwine
Title:Memoirs of Cleopatra (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Margaret George
Info:Macmillan (1998), Paperback, 1152 pages

The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Margaret George (1997)

Recently added byprivate library, parasolofdoom, IgnoreTheMess, thebikeryogi, Rozee, Juliana.Brina

English (38)  Finnish (1)  All languages (39)
I very much enjoyed this book, but boy is it long - almost 1200 pages. Cleopatra's story is fascinating, and Ms. George really brings it to life. I thought there was a bit too much description compared to action, perhaps because the story was so compelling I wanted to hurry up and find out what happened next. Excellent description of court and political intrigues, and how Cleopatra excelled at them. As a historical novelist myself, I'm pretty fussy about other books in my genre, and I heartily recommend this one. It would be a great novel for an e-reader; then you don't have to cart around such a heavy tome around.
[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
Just couldn't get into this book. I love this author, loved her books on Henry VIII and Mary, Queen of Scots. I always wanted to try this novel because I love Margaret George's style and how she walks you through the character's life. However, since I have already seen the Cleopatra/Ceasar/Antony movies, this felt like a re-run to me and I just couldn't maintain interest.
  chrgabel515 | Jun 6, 2014 |
One of the best historical fictions of Cleopatra that I've ever read. I was instantly in that place with her & instantly became a forever fan of Margaret George. Over the years, I have lent out about 4 copies & wound up re-purchasing this book 4 different times. It is that phenom. Even though it's a tome, it's a very quick read. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
Written in much the same style as her Autobiography of Henry VIII, The Memoirs of Cleopatra is a biographical novel told in first person narrative format. Like Margaret George's other similar works, it's huge - 964 pages in the library's trade paperback format.

This book also uses a similar device to that of Henry VIII - another narrator, her personal physician Olympos (a real person, although his name is usually spelled Olympus), writes an "eleventh scroll" to follow Cleopatra VII's ten "scrolls" (a device for dividing the book into sections), that tells of her death and what happened afterwards.

The illustration on the cover is from a portion of an 1887 painting of Cleopatra depicting her the way most of us picture her, especially from the movie starring Elizabeth Taylor. The novel, like the nonfiction Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff, presents the Egyptian queen as a highly intelligent woman and powerful leader. Much of its length comes from details about the beautiful city of Alexandria in Egypt, its famous library and lighthouse, temples throughout Egypt, and life in that time and place, as well as similar details for Rome.

There's a map at the beginning of the book which is extremely useful, as all the countries referred to in the novel either no longer exist today or have different names and boundaries. George has an author's note at the end that tells who is and isn't real, what's factual, and enumerates many of her sources.

George makes Cleopatra into a character I cared about, despite some minor anachronisms and bringing some more modern ideas into this Egyptian time period. In the author's note, she said she has "a fascination and commitment to Cleopatra that goes back to ...childhood," and the rich details she provides make that obvious.

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[This book was borrowed from and returned to my local public library. This review also appears on Bookin' It.] ( )
3 vote riofriotex | Nov 29, 2013 |
To pick up a Margaret George novel is to experience a well-researched epic work. The Memoirs of Cleopatra is no exception.

George presents a very intimate story of the legendary Cleopatra, who took a bankrupt, teetering country to its pinnacle of wealth, prosperity and influence, despite overwhelming setbacks and obstacles.

My only quibble, as always with George's work, is a certain reservation in the depth of her characters which she tends to move around on the board of her story like set pieces.

Beyond that, an absorbing read. ( )
  fiverivers | Oct 18, 2013 |

my Cleopatra Selene,
and Paul
a bit of Caesar, Antony, and especially Olympos
all in one
Warmth. Wind. Dancing blue waters, and the sound of waves.

Bestselling novelist Margaret George brings to life the glittering kingdom of Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile, in this luch, sweeping, and richly detailed saga. Told in Cleopatra's own voice, this is a mesmerizing tale of ambition, passion, and betrayl, which begins when the twenty-year-old queen seeks out the most powerful man in the world, Julius Caesar, and does not end until, having survived the assassination of Caesar and the defeat of the second man she loves, Marc Antony, she plots her own death rather than be paraded in triumph through the streets of Rome.

Most of all, in its richness and authenticity, it is an irresistible story that reveals why Margaret George's work has been widely acclaimed as "the best kind of historical novel, one the reader can't wait to get lost in." (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:57 -0400)

A famous femme fatale tells all in this memoir of her reign as Cleopatra VII, queen of Egypt. Yes, it is true, she did have herself smuggled, wrapped in a rug to Julius Caesar's bedroom, and was pleasantly surprised. As for Marc Antony, a gorgeous man. From her earliest memories, to her final days as she prepares to commit suicide by snake bite. By the author of The Autobiography of Henry VIII.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,392,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible