Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:rshaneharris
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

English (128)  French (4)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (145)
And just like that the King is back!
Lewis Creed is the new doctor at the local university in Ludlow, Maine. He befriends the old man living across the street who ends up becoming a father figure to him. but this old man and this town have secrets. Secrets that are buried not too far from Lewis's new house. A pet cemetery off of beaten path lies as a grave marker for something far worse lurking beyond.
The busy street they live on and a fast moving truck causes Lewis to defy his morals and even his sanity to consider the otherworldly possibility of making his family whole again. But at what price? Is Lewis willing to pay that price?
This is the King that I know! The great and masterful horror writer that was every nail biting turn of the page sends a nasty cringe up the back of your spine and down the pit of your gut. This is indeed one of his better works.
Although I've seen and like the movie very much I have to say that the movie was done very closely to the book itself and for that I am very thankful. There are a few elements in the adaptation that were not included but I'm sure they had their reasons and it all works out just fine in both tellings of the tail.
I would highly recommend this book to not only Stephen King fans, but to anyone who likes horror in general. Very good book! ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Aug 5, 2018 |
Perhaps the scariest piece of literature I have ever read. Would recommend it to anyone who loves horror fiction. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
[b: Pet Sematary|10583|Pet Sematary|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1308894674s/10583.jpg|150017] is a perfect [a: Stephen King|3389|Stephen King|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1362814142p2/3389.jpg] book.

I recommended this book to a friend after her father passed away and she was dealing with the loss. I read it myself when I'd lost someone, and again when there was another loss looming. The book is terrible in the original sense of the word, and it's a heartwrenching read that will hollow you out from the inside out. It's the hollowness you feel when something is torn from you that you don't understand. It's the knowledge that no matter what, no matter how hard you try, you're never going to get that thing back.

Now that's true horror.
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I breezed through the 562 pages of Pet Sematary in just a little over a week which is saying alot for me since I tend to be a slow reader but this is why I love Stephen King. He grabs hold of the reader and will not let go. When he is good, he is amazing. This was a re-read for me and it was fantastically creepy and terrifying the second time around.

As the story starts young doctor Louis Creed is made director of the University of Maine’s campus health service and he moves his family to Ludlow for the job. His wife Rachel and their two little ones Ellie and Gage settle into the family’s new home which is located near a busy road.
On Louis’s first day at work there is a tragic accident where student Victor Pascow is mortally wounded while out running. He dies while Louis is the only person in the room with him and his final words are a warning about the Pet Sematary located across the street from Louis’s new house.

The book pretty much takes off from there. There is an old Indian burial ground a few miles beyond the Pet Sematary which is always on the periphery of Louis’s mind after he has a vivid dream about it after Pascow mentions it. The old burial ground has a hold on this little town of Ludlow and Jud tells Louis about it and about the dark stories and rumors surrounding it. If you bury the dead there they rise again. The power of the burial ground pulls people towards it.

There is just so much here to take stronghold of the reader’s imagination. King is a master at storytelling there is not doubt about it. The way he takes his time drawing you in, making you care about and know these characters, the characterization is wonderful as usual in a King novel.

Pet Sematary is equal parts terrifying and sad. This isn’t just a horror story about an old Indian burial ground that brings the dead back to life, there is a little family at the heart of the book and King introduces you to them you start to like them and feel afraid for them. I felt bad for Louis, he loses his mind as the story gets deeper and deeper and it is like watching a train wreck. You don’t want to look but you cannot look away.

Uncle Steve doesn’t disappoint with his twisted classics for us horror lovers. Read it, but not when you are home alone, and not when you need to go down to the basement to get the wash and also not right before bed unless you are really brave.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of Pet Sematary by Stephen King.
https://bookwormnai.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/pet-sematary-by-stephen-king/ ( )
  bookworm_naida | Mar 31, 2018 |
This was a bit of a disappointment to me. I heard a few times that this was King's scariest book. I was looking forward to that. But I honestly didn't find it "scary" at all. Disturbing, yes. Incredibly disturbing. But that is totally different than scary. It wasn't even that suspenseful to me. Very predictable. Not what I am used to in a King novel. Bag of Bones blows Pet Sematary out of the water. This was the second"classic" King book I wasn't impressed with, so I will probably stick to his more recent work from now on.
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiemken, ChristelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."

Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."

So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.

"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."

Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.

Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...

And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.

Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,010,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible