Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:chickenwingy85
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Paperback

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

English (123)  French (4)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All (137)
Much like the Freeling family in the 1982 film Poltergeist, where the foundation of their sizable suburban home sat atop a burial ground, such is a similar bedrock for the just as, if not moreso substantial abode occupied by the fictive Creed clan in the frightening Stephen King epic, Pet Sematary ... Except that the burial ground upon which the Creed dwelling nearly sits—only a short path from the family's back door—is one of an ancient history: A secondhand necropolis of the Micmac Indian tribe.

(Some trivia for all of you boys and girls: In the real world, the Micmac tribe is originated, "Mi'kmaq")

The plot of Pet Sematary (a novel that I read when it had still been bound in its first edition hardcover, I might add) begins to unfold when a gifted doctor, our protagonist Louis Creed, moves his family (a wife and two children) from Chicago to the small imaginary Maine town of Ludlow. And no sooner does the family start to settle into their new digs, than they find themselves under the terrifying assault of many spiritual hosts in the heavenly places ... Yes, the principalities of darkness. Not even the Creed's pet cat, Church, is left exempt. And from there, Pet Sematary, the King-penned cult horror novel centered around a haunted animal graveyard that possesses otherworldly power to resurrect its dead, shifts its gear into drive ... Getting off to a rather slow start, but eventually picking up a good level of speed under the power of a well-fueled, "character-operated" engine.

Having first read the novel in 1984, and then witnessed its film adaptation only a few years later, I will tell you that I personally voted for Pet Sematary on Goodreads' "The BOOK was BETTER than the MOVIE" list.

Stephen King, the great and much beloved Master of Horror, can boast a great one in this classic, but because the story came out of the gate a bit too sluggish, it has to settle for a four-star rating from me. ( )
  CatEllington | May 5, 2017 |
Louis and his family have recently moved to Maine in order for Louis to work as a doctor at UMaine. His neighbour shows him the pet sematary in the nearby woods. A student was brought into the University infirmary on Louis’ first day of work. He was near death. That night, Louis “dreams” the student had visited him and brought him to the pet sematary and pointed to a deadfall of branches. The family cat gets hit by a big rig while the rest of the family is away, so Louis goes over the deadfall, into the Micmac Indian burying ground, and buries the cat. And the cat returns.

I read this when I was twelve. In my opinion the book is better than the movie although the movie is also good.
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, it held my interest throughout. Memorable characters. Creepy scenes galore. Dark, depressing, disturbing and I couldn’t wait to see what would happen next. ( )
  PaulaLT | Apr 3, 2017 |
I first read this book when I was in high school. I remember a lot more of this book than I did Salem's Lot and the Shining. I read them 25 to 30 years ago too, and also recently re-read them. I recall enjoying the first half / three quarters of Pet Sematary, and was devastated at the flippant way Gage's death was mentioned. First read, I didn't enjoy the "scary" parts at the end. I couldn't put myself into the story and thought it was just strange and drawn-out. When I added the book to my "Read before joining LibraryThing" collection, I rated it three stars. I bumped up the rating to four after the second reading when I was able to visualize the "scary" part better, and is one of the growing number of books that is also in my "Read after joining LibraryThing" collection. 8,907 members;3.72 average rating; 2/27/2017 ( )
  mainrun | Mar 13, 2017 |
As others have stated, this is a slow build up to a not ultra-gory and scare your pants off" ending.

And that is the beauty of this book. Little hints of dread, stories that foreshadow something bad, myths of vague horror. Horror of the mind is best when only the outline is given and the reader fills in the blanks with their own fears.

350 pages of routine life and getting to know the characters and yet I almost enjoyed that part more than the final 50 pages where everything comes crashing down. Jud the yankee, Louis the rational doctor, Ellie the daughter who has premonitions of what is to come." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."

Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."

So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.

"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."

Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.

Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...

And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.

Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,437,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible