Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

7,543None452 (3.72)136
Member:chickenwingy85
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Paperback

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

20th century (32) American (19) American literature (28) animals (35) cemeteries (23) death (45) ebook (20) fantasy (23) fiction (596) first edition (19) hardcover (27) horror (1,150) horror fiction (28) King (66) made into movie (24) Maine (38) novel (72) own (30) paperback (27) pets (48) read (143) Resurrection (18) Roman (19) Stephen King (163) supernatural (53) suspense (37) thriller (70) to-read (43) undead (20) zombies (72)

English (88)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  All languages (99)
Awesomely creepy. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |
The abysmal and insidious evil that lies in these pages has rarely been equaled or bested, a story about the loss of hope when you move into a house on that road, and the gargantuan evil that awaits beyond the deadfall in the woods. ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |
When Stephen King stated that Pet Sematary was possibly his scariest work till date, he wasn’t kidding. Believe me, it is.

Pet Sematary is the kind of story that settles in your subconscious, coming back to you night after night; haunting your dreams and making you cry out even in your sleep. Out of the few of King's works that I have read, I found him more intensely involved in this one. There is too much depth of thought. King is at his best explaining fear and evil, examining the human psyche and how there is a thin line between sanity and insanity, between being aware of the power and seeking it out to embrace it.

There this overbearing presence of evil throughout and with every line you start expecting something to just jump out. There may be those who might not agree with me here, but Pet Sematary is definitely a day book -- you read it during the day and keep it aside at night. Just don’t touch it.

The story moves ever so slowly into the unknown. Louise Creed is over his head here. He knows it and yet he can't stop himself. The presence of the cat as sentry of the underworld is evidence of the doom that is ready to walk out through the Pet Sematary into the human world. One wrong decision and everything is destroyed. There is no turning back. Some are lucky to escape.

Off course, there are sections that you may not like. At times the characters are reminiscing too much and it stretches beyond a point of holding your interest. I did often get distracted and honestly skipped couple of paragraphs here and there. But the book is definitely worth reading and I would recommend it to others too.

Death is real and so is the desire to being your loved ones back from the other world. Pet Sematary is not so much about the cemetery itself but of the world beyond that it stands guard before, serving as a sign that reads - 'don’t venture beyond this point.'

You enter at your own risk. ( )
  superphoenix | Jul 9, 2013 |
One of the scariest and most heartfelt books I have ever read. The father's anguish over the loss of his son is almost tangible. ( )
  AprilAasheim | Jul 7, 2013 |
When Louis Creed's beloved son dies, he buries him (against all good advice) in the Pet Sematary and he comes back, changed.

Honestly, this is just a fun read if you can get past the toddler hit by a tractor-trailer truck part. Don't take it too seriously. Enjoy. "Daddy, I want to play with yooooouuuu."

Read because I like the author (1980s). Reviewed based on memory. ( )
  sturlington | Jun 30, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."
Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."
So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.
"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."
Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.
Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...
And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.
Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:54 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,455,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible