Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

8,205114382 (3.72)163
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Paperback

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

English (104)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  All languages (115)
A moving study of grief and how we deal with it... or how we fail to deal with it, in the case of Louis Creed.

Not as good as The Shining, but this is the next best thing. The ending is particularly well done. ( )
  Lukerik | Nov 17, 2015 |
Garbage. Had friend who was into King, so I read it.... Like eating alot of junk food. You really hate yourself afterward. How I felt after actually finishing this thing. Barf... ( )
  clarkland | Oct 28, 2015 |
Perhaps the scariest piece of literature I have ever read. Would recommend it to anyone who loves horror fiction. ( )
  trile1000 | Oct 23, 2015 |
Contains spoilers but I've been intentionally vague.

I'm re-reading King's books in chronological order and I was looking forward to this one. I would have been 15 the first time I read this and I remember it being quite frightening; I have no memory whatsoever of watching the movie even though I must have. My memory served me well pretty much recalling the whole plot of the story, but I couldn't remember the ending. Did he actually bury the kid? And what happened then? All that stuff ends up happening in the last 75 pages or so, though.

For the most part, I found the book did not live up to my expectations. The last 75 pages is the good stuff. Preceding that we have a family story, bad stuff happens, this family has psychological problems in dealing with death, but not much happens except for the cat thing. Honestly, that isn't even very scary. The best part is when Rachel describes the death of her sister when she, Rachel, was nine. That is fairly gruesome and terrifying to think about experiencing. The characters just didn't get to me, I didn't really care for them much, except the nine-year-old Ellie. There is no real bad guy or defined evil. There are glimpses and Louis defines it for himself as the Wendigo but the real "bad guy" is simply death itself and I don't think of death as a bad thing myself. These people just seemed so dysfunctional, I couldn't get on their fear bandwagon. So there is the supernatural element of the Pet Sematary but it doesn't turn out all that bad and with no defined "Evil" it was a fairly mundane read. Then suddenly the last 75 pages were a rush. Things went hyper, the Evil came out, all the good stuff happened and a there's a very sinister ending.

I also like to watch for connections to the overall SK Universe while reading and this has a couple. Almost right away we know where we are as someone briefly mentions that a nearby town had an episode where a rabid dog killed several people (Cujo). Next is the appearance of the line "All work and no play make Jack a dull boy" which is from "The Shining" movie not book but must have been a nod in one way or another. (King did not like the movie adaptation) and finally whilst driving a road sign for "Jerusalem's Lot" (Salem's Lot) is passed and the driver feels it must be an unpleasant place. Those are all I noted. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 10, 2015 |
This book is a classic. I read it back in high school and it is still and favorite to this day. ( )
  nevans1972 | Aug 6, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."

Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."

So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.

"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."

Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.

Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...

And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.

Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,873,715 books! | Top bar: Always visible