Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:chickenwingy85
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Paperback

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

20th century (33) American (19) American literature (28) animals (38) cemeteries (23) death (45) ebook (20) fantasy (23) fiction (599) First Edition (19) hardcover (27) horror (1,158) horror fiction (28) King (66) made into movie (24) Maine (38) novel (72) own (30) paperback (27) pets (48) read (142) Roman (20) Stephen King (174) supernatural (53) suspense (38) thriller (70) to-read (52) undead (20) unread (18) zombies (73)

English (92)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Finnish (2)  German (2)  All languages (103)
I thought this book was going to be something very different from what it actually turned out to be. I expected it to be much scarier than it was, based on reviews and word-of-mouth. Was I at all disappointed by what I found instead?

Nope.

It is rare for me to find characters to whom I can relate as deeply as I do to King's. The dialogue and family dynamics, as well as his characters' decisions and actions, always seem realistic to me. His books are among the very few that have actually moved me to tears, and "Pet Sematary" is definitely one of them. His stories are so engaging because he spares no detail when it counts. Nothing is too gory, too violent, too scary for him, and yet his books are so much more than just hack-and-slash horror stories to keep you up at night. "Pet Sematary" in particular explores life, death, innocence, the human soul, and the consequences of the possibility of reversing death, all while still keeping the reader on the edge of his or her seat with a good dose of horror and gore.

A classic and an excellent read. Recommended to anybody, whether they are avid King fans or not. ( )
  athenaharmony | Jul 20, 2014 |
4.25 stars

Louis is a doctor and has moved his family (he, his wife Rachel, his 5-year old daughter Ellie, and his 2-year old son Gage, plus their cat Church) to small town, Ludlow, Maine. Their house is on a busy highway, where big trucks regularly speed past. A bit of a distance behind the house, down a well-kept path, is the "Pet Sematary", where locals often bury their pets.

I don't want to give away too much more of the summary, though I know as it is, the summary isn't saying very much. This is the best King book I've read in recent memory; it's harder to compare to the King books I read years ago, though. It just builds and builds to it's horrifying conclusion, and it IS a horrifying conclusion! The book is already rising in my mind on what I'd like to rate it, but I'm going to leave it as is, as this is how I felt I wanted to rate it as I read it. It seems, though, that with time and thinking back on it, it will just get better in my mind. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
So creepy that I'm going to have to sleep with the light on tonight! ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |
I first read the book Pet Semetary when I was in the 4th grade. I remember very little of my first read-through of this gem other than pointing out various profanities to friends on the playground mid kickball game. I picked the book up again in college and I was able to comprehend what I was reading and, sadly, I probably did self-chuckle a bit at the various profanities. 10+ years later, on my third pass, I can say that this is one of the scariest books I have ever read. The character's emotional response to extreme situations such as death, mourning and desperation are palpable. I have to wonder what was going on in King's life at the time he wrote this one. Heck, even King admits after he wrote Pet Semetary that he tucked this novel in a drawer and was certain it would never see the light of day. Fortunately for us readers, that was not the case ( )
1 vote JechtShot | May 30, 2014 |
Awesomely creepy. ( )
  LisaFoxRomance | Apr 6, 2014 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."
Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."
So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.
"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."
Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.
Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...
And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.
Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:54 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible