Pet Sematary by Stephen King

Pet Sematary (original 1983; edition 2001)

by Stephen King

Member:chickenwingy85
Title:Pet Sematary
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Pocket Books (2001), Paperback

Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983)

English (111)  French (4)  Italian (3)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  All languages (123)
Louis and his family have recently moved to Maine in order for Louis to work as a doctor at UMaine. His neighbour shows him the pet sematary in the nearby woods. A student was brought into the University infirmary on Louis’ first day of work. He was near death. That night, Louis “dreams” the student had visited him and brought him to the pet sematary and pointed to a deadfall of branches. The family cat gets hit by a big rig while the rest of the family is away, so Louis goes over the deadfall, into the Micmac Indian burying ground, and buries the cat. And the cat returns.

I read this when I was twelve. In my opinion the book is better than the movie although the movie is also good.
  jenn88 | Feb 14, 2016 |
This was the first adult book I ever read, at age 11. It made a HUGE impression on me. It was my gateway drug to Horror and Thrillers and adult fiction in general. I became a Stephen King addict throughout my teenage years.

I'm not sure how big an impact will make on a mature, jaded reader--but I still think it's a masterpiece. This is one of Stephen King's best. It's truly horrific, creepy, touching, and tragic. It's epic horror.

After I reread this book as an adult, I sat back and said, "Wow. This is why Stephen King is a genius." This book tugs at your heartstrings, and immerses you in another reality. ( )
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Classic Stephen King at his best. Don't base what you will find on the movie, there is so much more to it than that. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is the first Stephen King book I ever read, and it scared the shit out of me! ( )
  Belles007 | Jan 17, 2016 |
I read this book a long time ago. It was super scary... but oh-so-good. I would recommend this book if you would like to be scared. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Talvio-Jaatinen, PirkkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Jesus said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go, that I may awake him out of his sleep."

Then the disciples looked at each other, and some smiled because they did not know Jesus had spoken in a figure. "Lord, if he sleeps, he shall do well."

So then Jesus spoke to them more plainly, "Lazarus is dead, yes...nevertheless let us go to him."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
When Jesus came to Bethany, he found that Lazarus had lain in the grave four days already. When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she hurried to meet him.

"Lord," she said, "if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But now you are here, and I know that whatever you ask of God, God will grant."

Jesus answered her: "Your brother shall rise again."

"Hey-ho, let's go."
—THE RAMONES
Jesus therefore, groaning inside of himself and full of trouble, came to the grave. It was a cave, and a stone had been raised against the mouth. "Roll away the stone," Jesus said.

Martha said, "Lord, by this time he will have begun to rot. He has been dead four days."...

And when he had prayed awhile, Jesus raised his voice and cried, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes; and his face was bound about with a napkin.

Jesus said to them, "Loose him and let him go."

—JOHN'S GOSPEL (paraphrase)
   "I only just thought of it," she said hysterically. "Why didn't I think of it before? Why didn't you think of it?"
   "Think of what?" he questioned.
   "The other two wishes," she replied rapidly. "We've only had one."
   "Was that not enough?" he demanded fiercely.
   "No," she cried triumphantly: "we'll have one more. Go down and get it quickly, and wish our boy alive again."

—W.W. JACOBS ("The Monkey's Paw")
For Kirby McCauley
Louis Creed, who had lost his father at three and who had never known a grandfather, never expected to find a father as he entered his middle age, but that was exactly what happened...although he called this man a friend, as a grown man must do when he finds the man who should have been his father relatively late in life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0743412273, Mass Market Paperback)

Renowned for its superior productions, BBC radio may have outdone itself by adapting Stephen King's Pet Sematary to audio. A clamorous cacophony of talking, whining, whistling, and howling, Pet Sematary is a quick, entertaining earful for those who don't have other auditory distractions to contend with, such as a car full of talking whining, whistling, howling children. However, the melodramatic prose marries well with the acting; such is the case when one reader--whose voice bears an uncanny resemblance to Kramer's from Seinfeld--tells another about the effects of the Pet Sematary: "Heroin makes junkies feel good when they put it in their arms, but all the time it's poisoning their mind and body--this place can be like that and don't you ever forget it!" (Running time: three hours, two cassettes)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:00 -0400)

When a little boy's pet dies, and he persuades his parents to bury it in an old Indian cemetary, reputed by legend to house restless spirits, a nightmare of death and destruction begins.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible