Reading People: How to Understand People and…

Reading People: How to Understand People and Predict Their Behavior-…

by Jo-Ellan Dimitrius

354None30,782 (3.27)2
    The Secret Laws of Attraction: The Effortless Way to Get the Relationship You Want by Talane Miedaner (pammab)
    pammab: If you're looking for more information on how to understand what the people around you want and how it affects their behavior, Miedaner's book is a better read than Dimitrius's. To me, Dimitrius's book read more like a book for people on the autism spectrum who want to learn in a more formal way about social cues, whereas Miedaner's book read more like a book for all people who want to learn to identify how different people are motivated in similar situations, such that they can then feed that motivating need (or not).… (more)

Probably more useful in showing me how people judge me than in teaching me to read others, this book takes an analytic approach to understanding people from their appearances. Honestly, it's not all that useful of a book; it doesn't reveal anything you wouldn't guess if you started deliberately analyzing and judging people from their mannerisms, appearances, and accouterments. I felt a few times like it was targeted at people on the autism spectrum, providing rules-based information on how to understand social situations that most people pick up on subconsciously. Still, in that it models the skill of judging people 300 pages over, it may yet make for a worthwhile read. I do feel like I'm more consciously aware of judgments I could make (that is, to use less loaded language: insights I could have) and that ones that others may be making about me now, which means I've benefited from the book the way I'd hoped. ( )
  pammab | Jan 22, 2011 |
Very interesting tips on reading people which can also help a person looking to polish their own image. I was a little sickened by her mentions of defending OJ but if I tried to ignore that and focus on her jury profiling techniques I could better appreciate her expertise. The author also give many examples of situations where such skills would be useful as well as many different ways the same "tell" could be read giving the reader a word of caution on jumping to conclusions. No hocus pocus easy answers and quick results. ( )
  yonitdm | Dec 9, 2010 |
Writing from real passion, the authors provide a practical guide for preparing for, listening to, and interacting with, people in many situations. ( )
  keylawk | Jan 21, 2010 |
Unique book on reading people. The author relies heavily on anecdote, but the advice really feels prescient. ( )
  akbibliophile | Jul 20, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345425871, Paperback)

It's true that politicians blink much more frequently when they're lying, but what other behavior clues do people inadvertently give off? If you want to know if you're being boondoggled, how to tell if your date is interested in a serious relationship, or if you should take that new job, Jo-Ellan Demitrius will help you figure it all out. She gives away the tricks of her trade--jury consulting--in this eye-opening handbook for predicting the behavior and revealing the thoughts of others. She's consulted for more than 600 jury trials, including the O.J. Simpson, Rodney King, and John DuPont cases, as well as for Fortune 100 companies. If her name rings a bell, it may be because she's been on Oprah, Larry King Live, and 60 Minutes, among other television shows.

Much more than a collection of tips on reading body language, her book is supremely organized, detailed, and thorough, with lists of physical characteristics, vocal patterns, office props, and conversational behaviors that reveal much more than you'd think. She instructs on how to analyze hundreds of details of everyday living, from the style of the picture frame on your boss's desk to the odd way that an acquaintance swears up a storm, in order to uncover personality traits and predict future behavior.

Demitrius isn't a hocus-pocus intuition hawker; she's more of a scientist. "...over the past fifteen years," she writes, "I have tested this method on more than ten thousand 'research subjects.' After predicting the behavior of thousands of jurors, witnesses, lawyers, and judges, I have been able to see whether my predictions came true....I did not always peg them correctly, especially in the earlier years. But by testing my perceptions over and over, I have verified which clues are generally reliable and which are not." Her advice will prove valuable not just to lawyers but to businesspeople, parents, and anyone curious about their relationships. While the book is mostly aimed at deconstructing the behavior and characteristics of others, it's also useful for job candidates and anyone concerned with projecting the appropriate image. -- Erica Jorgensen

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:29 -0400)

How can you "hear between the lines" to detect a lie? When is intuition the best guide to making important decisions? What are the tell-tale signs of romantic attraction? Jo-Ellan Dimitrius-America's leading behavioral expert-shows us how to spot the critical clues to a person's integrity, work habits, and sexual interests, and to interpret these signs with accuracy and precision.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,433,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible