Death is now my neighbour by Colin Dexter

Death is now my neighbour (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Colin Dexter

Series: Morse (12)

Member:andyl
Title:Death is now my neighbour
Authors:Colin Dexter
Info:London: Pan, 1997. 413 p. ; 18 cm.
Tags:detective, morse

Death is Now My Neighbour by Colin Dexter (1996)

In this penultimate book in the Inspector Morse series, Dexter has clearly been influenced by the success of the TV show -- Lewis is now explicitly stated as being younger than Morse despite the fact that this contradicts statements in the earlier books in the series. Morse continues to have health issues in this book, but in some regards his character is reminiscent of that shown in the earlier books. This is most evident in his scattershot approach to solving the crime.

I thought that the mystery part of the book was done well. However the mood the book left me with was melancholy -- not only is Morse sick, but the solution of this particular case left me feeling sorry for some of suspects as well (mostly Dennis Cornwall). ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 16, 2014 |
The one with the race for the Master of Lonsdale and people are mistakenly shot for their ponytails, were Morse is diagnosed with diabetes and his loving nurse becomes his loving companion...

And where we find out Morse's first name. ( )
  ishtahar | Oct 2, 2008 |
The pessimist in me grieves that I shall never open a virgin Morse novel again: the optimist rejoices in the new horizons open to me. having started with the last Morse case, and them worked from the first to the penultimate, Morse died and then was reborn for me. I was thus able to leave him an ageing but still extant hero.
This was a strong story upon which to bow out. Clues were littered through the story - some accepted, many more left for the great detective to humiliate me at the denouement.
The shooting of a lady who appears to be as ordinary as it is possible to be leaves the detective duo floundering for a while but, with the security of a whodunnit, one knows that the solution will appear.
Morse himself ages, becomes diabetic and, finally, reveals his enigmatic Christian name: all in 400 pages. A good read.
Adieu Morse. I promise to revisit your triumphs again. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Aug 30, 2008 |
Good, straightforward Morse novel from 1996, with a bit of low-life, some college intrigue, a few crossword clues and literary quotations, Morse drinking too much and unhappy in his love-life, Lewis trying to keep him on the straight and narrow. Nothing too exciting or objectionable, in other words, but also nothing particularly to encourage you to read this rather than one of the many other Morse novels, unless you're desperate to know Morse's first name.

Dexter does have an annoying habit of using narrator's foresight ("little did he know...") a bit too much - this might be an effect of writing novels in parallel with TV scripts, where there is a need for unexplained "teaser" scenes in the early part of the episode. ( )
  thorold | Nov 16, 2007 |
Very Good
  whyteb | Dec 31, 1969 |
For Joan Templeton with gratitude
"What time do you call this, Lewis?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 033035034X, Paperback)

A crime novel featuring Chief Inspector Morse, in which Morse and his assistant Sergeant Lewis are called upon to investigate the murder of a young woman who was shot from close range through her kitchen window. After a visit to his doctor, Morse finds that he also has to deal with a crisis of his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:58 -0400)

Chief Inspector Morse investigates the murder of a young woman, shot from close range through her kitchen window.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible