Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays by A. C.…

Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays (edition 1993)

by A. C. Cawley

Member:Amw100
Title:Everyman and Medieval Miracle Plays
Authors:A. C. Cawley
Info:Everyman Paperbacks (1993), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:Medieval

Everyman, and medieval miracle plays by A. C. Cawley (Editor)

Who knew medieval English drama was such fun to read? I didn't, until I had to buy this delightful paperback book for a graduate seminar a few years back. Honestly, I think about this book more often than I ever imagined I would. I thought about it just the other day when I ran into the woman who loved, completely loved, the King Arthur legends: well, I had suggested she watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and while she had been a wee bit hesitant when I explained the siege and catapults, she had agreed to do so. It turned out she loved, completely loved, the quest for the grail and we laughed heartily about the galloping and the indestructible Black Knight. This wonderful cycle of old plays (6-7 centuries ago. . .) is rendered in Modern English, but for non-specialists like me, that fact alone allows me to enjoy these dramas from a different place and time, and to marvel at the common threads that remain. ( )
  SheWoreRedShoes | May 11, 2010 |

Cawley, A. C.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Diest, Peter vanContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rooney, AnnePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
PREFACE
---
 This volume contains the moral play Everyman and a representative collection of medieval biblical pageants.
PREFACE TO 1993 EDITION
---
 Since its first publication in 1956, Professor Cawley's edition has been hugely successful in making accessible to the general reader and to school readers a representative selection of the cycle plays and, in Everyman, the best-known of the morality plays.
INTRODUCTION
---
 Apart from Everyman and the excerpt representing the Cornish drama, the plays in this volume are biblical pageants which are ultimately derived, like their counterparts in France, Spain, and Italy, from the Latin liturgical plays of the medieval Church.
May need separation.

Everyman edition (Cawley ed) contains plays: The Creation, and the Fall of Lucifer; The Creation of Adam and Eve; The Fall of Man; Cain and Abel; Noah's Flood; Abraham and Isaac; The Annunciation; The Second Shepherd's Pageant; Herod the Great; The Woman Taken in Adultery; The Crucifixion; The Harrowing of Hell; The Resurrection; The Judgement; Everyman; The Death of Pilate.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 046087280X, Paperback)

This book is part of the "Everyman" series which has been re-set with wide margins and easy-to-read type and includes marginal glosses and footnotes to explain difficult words and phraseology. Concentrating mainly on "Corpus Christi" pageants, this is a selection of medieval miracle plays. There is also a translation of the Cornish "Death of Pilate" to represent this branch of Celtic literature. The original words of the plays are preserved, but many archaic forms and spellings are modernized for general readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:03:58 -0400)

1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,322,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible