Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1 by Kaori Yuki

Angel Sanctuary, Vol. 1 (2001)

by Kaori Yuki

Series: Angel Sanctuary (1)

action (5) Angel Sanctuary (25) angels (26) apocalypse (6) comic (6) comics (10) demons (16) drama (9) fantasy (40) fiction (16) graphic novel (17) heaven (8) hell (6) horror (6) incest (13) Japan (9) Japanese (6) kaori yuki (6) label: hana to yume comics (4) manga (175) mine (3) mystery (4) read (12) reincarnation (11) religion (7) romance (11) series (5) shoujo (42) supernatural (10) Viz (10)

Killer computer games, reincarnation, fallen angels, demons, weird romance -- this book has it all! Seriously, I don't think that it can get any cooler. Sometimes, when a bunch of really cool elements are thrown together in one book it can be disastrous, but Yuki pulls it off and has created an incredibly exciting, suspenseful series. Plus, the artwork is beautiful. I don't think I've ever read a manga with such gorgeous drawings.

As for the characters, I fell in love with Setsuna immediately, and I adore all the others. It's a very complex story with a deep historical background that I'm sure will be revealed little by little throughout the series. There are some funny moments to alleviate some of the tension (this is a very dark series). These moments aren't laugh-out-loud funny, but they definitely put a smile on my face.

The only thing I had trouble with was remembering who was who, and what gender they were -- Yuki seems to love the theme of too-pretty males.

I would recommend this for fans of dark fantasy and fallen angels. Be prepared for some serious weirdness, though! ( )
  sedelia | Sep 15, 2011 |
Angel Sanctuary is a series I wanted very much to love. The art is breathtaking: gothic and detailed.

Kaori Yuki has a way, both artistically and narratively, of inverting our expectations. She makes the beautiful grotesque and the saintly evil. But the story is too complex, has too many layers. At every volume, I felt as though I had to reread all the rest or be hopelessly lost.

I can't capture the plots in one paragraph but let me try. Setsuna is in love with his sister (a little incest is a requirement of all Yuki's work). Their mother, oddly objects. They run off but after a brief happiness, Sara is killed. In his grief, Setsuna destroys the world. Kind of. Because it turns out that Setsuna is the reincarnation of an angel. After that it gets complicated. There are trips to hell, heavenly rebellions, hopeless romances, insane creatures of every allegiance.... The series questions the authority of god and heavenly order. Each character (and there were countless characters) is more twisted and complex than the last. Most fascinated me, none more than Kira, Setsuna's mysterious friend.

Like I said, by all rights I should have loved this series. I love the macabre and I think developed characters make a story. And I did enjoy it but if it had been 3 manga, it might have worked better. Yuki has done much better. ( )
1 vote roguelibrarian | Sep 1, 2009 |
I'm being mostly sincere when I say that I wish there were more stories that dealt with incest. I mean, sure, it's probably not a _common_ thing, but it certainly exists. Anyway, yes. The beginning of the story could really have done without the whole computer game aspect. ( )
  bluedream | Feb 26, 2009 |
Like Jenson_AKA_DL, I also found it a bit difficult trying to keep track of who was whom. Because the angels don't have definite male/female attributes, they are sometimes hard to keep track of. Hopefully I'll be able to keep track of them soon!

Storyline is all right. I like the author's blurb about what if Lucifer's name was really Lucifel, since angel names end in -el? Lucifel is a beautiful name for the being who was the most beautiful angel.

I like Yuki's art style... except for her faces in profile. They seem smooshed somehow, and the ears don't look right from the side. Perhaps it's just an issue with this series, because I've also read some of the Cain series and the artwork is much better in those stories. ( )
1 vote wispywillow | Feb 4, 2008 |
Although the idea of this manga sounded interesting in premise, dealing with corrupt angels, desperate demons and human pawns unfortunately I found both the story and the illustrations completely over the top confusing. I got the basics but trying to keep track of which angel was which and who was the reincarnated spirit of what was completely mind boggling. This one was certainly on the older teen side with a great deal of violence and obsession being main plot points. Unfortunately not one of my favorite manga so far. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Oct 8, 2007 |

Die Ungebändigte
Adams erstes Weib
Lilith, die Sünderin
Der, dessen Glanz
Wie kein anderer den Himmel erhellte
Wunderschöner Luzifer, der Abtrünnige
Jene, die wieder und wieder den Teufelskreis beschreiten
Hört den Klagegesang
Der geflügelten Wesen,
Die Hoch am Himmel sind
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Die Engel Alexiel und Rosiel sind Geschwister und bekämpfen sich auf Grund einer unglücklichen Liebe unerbittlich. Schließlich verbannt Alexiel ihren Bruder Rosiel ins Erdreich. Gott sperrt sie als Strafe für diese Tat in einen Kristall ein. Ihre Seele muss fortan in Menschen weiterleben. Der junge Setsuna Mudo weiß zunächst nicht, dass er einer der Träger Alexiels ist. Rosiel will sich währenddessen mit Hilfe des Videospiels "Angel Sanctuary" aus seinem Gefängnis befreien ...

This master artist has applied a sure artistic hand and dynamic storytelling to some controversial subject matter found in modern manga.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,590 books! | Top bar: Always visible