Skeleton Crew (Signet) by Stephen King

Skeleton Crew (Signet) (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:yrizaria
Title:Skeleton Crew (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1986), Edition: 1, Paperback, 295 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (1985)

I'll be the first to admit that I'm far more prone to picking up a full-length novel I can sink my teeth into until page 651 and then wish for more, while usually bypassing most short story collections entirely. However, King doesn't seem to be able to write a single dud and his short stories are just as fascinating and intriguing as his long novels. This book was no exception and I absolutely loved it. My favorites were probably The Mist, The Jaunt, The Raft (this one people who have seen Creepshow 2 will probably recognize because it showed up as one of the short stories in that movie, but I found it to be absolutely fascinating to read it via the POV of a single character and being able to use my imagination was even better than seeing it play out in color on TV, not to mention that the differences in the story compared to the Creepshow version were neat to pick out), and Milkman #1 and #2. All of them were great, so it was difficult to pick just these out and I don't think it'd be possible to pick out just one as my top fave out of this collection. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Stephen King, horror and the macabre. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |
A collection of stories that starts with the novella "The Mist." There are a couple of fantastic stories with the rest being good. I didn't enjoy the inclusion of two poems, but overall the ratings averaged out to a solid four. This is King's second short story collection, but I enjoyed his first, "Night Shift", the best.

1.The Mist -I reviewed this where it originally appeared in the anthology "Dark Forces". See my review there. (5/5)

2. Here There Be Tygers - Short and strange. There is a tiger in the boy's bathroom. Interesting but has no point. (2/5)

3. The Monkey - Great! Loved this! Typical King. Two brothers find an evil toy, it causes death and the narrator gets rid of it. Twenty years later his son finds it and he tries to get rid of it for good before anyone else dies. (5/5)

4. Cain Rose Up - Short little story where we are inside the mind of a college kid who decides to go sniper on the college campus from his room. Ends mid-action. (3/5)

5. Mrs.Todd's Shortcut - I vaguely remembered this one as I read it.An old caretaker relates to his friend what happened the few months before a summer visitor rich woman disappeared. It has magical realism elements and is a very satisfying read.(5/5)

6. The Jaunt - A very compelling science fiction story set three thousand years in the future. While a family waits to teleport to Mars, the father relates the story of the invention of teleportation. The narrative switches from the father telling the story to inventor's point of view in the past. Shock ending. (5/5)

7. The Wedding Gig - A mob story involving the Irish, Italian and Greek. The Irish "boss's" very huge sister gets married and the reception is where the Greek gets even with him. An intriguing story. (4/5)

8. Paranoid: A Chant - A poem. Didn't like it.(1/5)

9. The Raft - Fantastic horror story! Four college kids swim out to an anchored raft at the deserted beach in October. There evil finds them. This one came back to me too. (5/5)

10. Word Processor of the Gods -This was really good! A writer who is depressed about his life receives a word processor from his nephew who just died.He finds that the "execute" and "delete" buttons make whatever he writes become true.(5/5)

11. The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands - Love, love, loved this one! A group of men gather around a fireplace where one man tells a tale. This is George's turn and his tale is riveting. (5/5)

12. Beachworld - Another excellent story! This one reminded me of classic science fiction. A ship crashes on a planet that is entirely made of sand. Two of the crew survive but one becomes hypnotised by the sand right away. Excellent creepy ending.(5/5)

13. The Reaper's Image - A creepy story of a supernatural mirror. The story slowly unwinds finally giving up the mirror's power at the end. Good! (4/5)

14. Nona - A man in jail writes about what got him in there, his murder spree and a supernatural force. Pretty good.(3/5)

15. For Owen - Another poem. Boring.(0/5)

16. Survivor Type - This is the story that I was excited to read again. It totally freaked me out the first time I read it. And it was as good as I remembered it! Really creepy (gross) story.(5/5)

17. Uncle Otto's Truck - The suspense rises from start to finish in this excellent tale with a common King theme of a malicious vehicle.(5/5)

18. Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1) - A strange little story of a milkman who occasionally delivers poisoned goods. An odd ending which leaves the reader feeling creepy.(3/5)

19. Big Wheels: A Tale of The Laundry Game (Milkman #2) - Strange story that I couldn't make sense of.Related to the previous story but incomprehensible. The story is quite readable, though.(2/5)

20. Gramma - One of the best stories in this collection and probably my favourite. It's a story of fear. A boy is left alone with gramma whom he is terrified of. His fear rises and rises until something happens then the fear becomes terror and it rises and rises until the twisted end. Very creepy! (5/5)

21. The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet - The second longest story in the collection after "The Mist" and by far one of my favourites in the whole book. A fascinating story of madness. Five people in the literary business are having a get-together, an agent, an editor, and a writer and two wives. The single editor then proceeds to tell the story of a writer he knew in the late sixties and how both of them descended into madness and suicide. Even though it's quite long it was a fast read.(5/5)

22. The Reach - The oldest woman on an island tells her story. We learn about her life and the events of her death. A tale of living in one place your whole life and all the death that occurs in a long life. A good choice for a final story. (4/5) ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 31, 2016 |
Part of my "ripping yarns" summer reading! The Mist is great, perhaps a bit long. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Contains the novella The Mist which is my favourite Stephen King story of all time! ( )
  Fergster73 | Jun 21, 2016 |
must change to correct edition
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm your boogie man, that's what I am, and I'm here to do whatever I can... -- K.C. and the Sunshine Band
This book is for Arthur and Joyce Greene
Wait--just a few minutes. I want to talk to you...and then I am going to kiss you. Wait... [Introduction]
This is what happened.
Do You Love?
Some versions may be titled The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet but it may also be a separate short story or short story collection.

Please don't combine witch "Im Morgengrauen" or "Der Gesang der Toten" or "der Fornit"! These are only a part of Skeleton Crew

Short story collection containing the following stories:

| The Mist
| Nona
| For Owen
| Survivor Type
| Uncle Otto's Truck
| Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
| Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
| Gramma
| The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
| The Reach

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451168615, Mass Market Paperback)

In the introduction to Skeleton Crew (1985), his second collection of stories, King pokes fun at his penchant for "literary elephantiasis," makes scatological jokes about his muse, confesses how much money he makes (gross and net), and tells a story about getting arrested one time when he was "suffused with the sort of towering, righteous rage that only drunk undergraduates can feel." He winds up with an invitation to a scary voyage: "Grab onto my arm now. Hold tight. We are going into a number of dark places, but I think I know the way."

And he sure does. Skeleton Crew contains a superb short novel ("The Mist") that alone is worth the price of admission, plus two forgettable poems and 20 short stories on such themes as an evil toy monkey, a human-eating water slick, a machine that avenges murder, and unnatural creatures that inhabit the thick woods near Castle Rock, Maine. The short tales range from simply enjoyable to surprisingly good.

In addition to "The Mist," the real standout is "The Reach," a beautifully subtle story about a great-grandmother who was born on a small island off the coast of Maine and has lived there her whole life. She has never been across "the Reach," the body of water between island and mainland. This is the story that King fans give to their friends who don't read horror in order to show them how literate, how charming a storyteller he can be. Don't miss it. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

A collection of Stephen King's imaginative stories of terror.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,457,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible