Skeleton Crew (Signet) by Stephen King

Skeleton Crew (Signet) (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

5,19246861 (3.77)119
Member:yrizaria
Title:Skeleton Crew (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1986), Edition: 1, Paperback, 295 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (1985)

I really enjoyed some of the short stories in this book (I haven't read the "Bullet," which according to other reviews, I should, one or any of the 'poems' but I can't stand reading poetry).

"The Raft" - This was a lot of fun to read. It's almost like watching a movie - you get so into it, you forget you are reading. It reminded me of watching a cheesy horror film where all the teens are doomed to a grisly fate, but I never thought that the "thing" that gets them could possibly be so frightening for what it seems at first (trying not to spoil it).

"The Jaunt" - I was hesitant at the start of this story. I love sci-fi but I had never read any written by Stephen King before, so I was apprehensive. However, this story is probably one of the most horrific I've read about teleportation and after "The Fly" I didn't think that was possible. In a weird way, this story reminded me of the film "Event Horizon." When you get to the end, you'll "see" why.

"The Mist" - (Possible spoilers) I may love this story immensely just because of my own interests (Silent Hill, insects, strictly survival-oriented other dimensions). I love it love it love it - but oddly it wasn't as "fun" to me as "The Raft" was.

"Beachworld" - A pretty bizarre sci-fi tale about an alien planet. Interesting. Worth a read, but not a favorite of mine.

"The Monkey" - I enjoyed it, but not as much as some of the others.

"Nona" - Really sad. Good, but sad. Not a favorite.

"Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" - Not what I usually expect from Stephen King. It is a good story, but I really didn't like the style in which it was written. It just makes it hard for me to follow when someone is "talking" the story to someone else. However, it is quite memorable. It got me thinking intently about looking for shortcuts!

"The Reach" - Another I wouldn't have expected from Stephen King. Not my favorite, but I liked the way of life it provided a window into.

"The Man Who Wouldn't Shake Hands" - Weird. I didn't like it. And I have no aversion to weird things.

"Uncle Otto's Truck" - I started this one half-way through after skimming a few pages and not being hooked or interested. It's another weird one - not as good as some of the others. I didn't like it.

"Survivor Type" - Whoa, just whoa. Good story. Freaking brutal and gruesome and absolutely impossible for me to read without squirming in my seat. I immensely enjoyed it in a rather morbid way.

"The Wedding Gig" - Boring, but period stuff definitely isn't my thing and that's probably a personal preference. I just don't like to read something that's like a personal account slash biography of some important people in times past.

"Here There Be Tygers" (I think that's the title) - Sort of pointless. It made no sense to me, so I didn't like it.

"Gramma" - Really good, really creepy.

"Milkman/Deliveries(?) Parts 1&2" - I just didn't "get" these... especially with the way it just ended. The end did not make much sense to me.

"Cain Rose Up" - I thought this one was pretty poor. I just felt nothing for or about the characters in any way and some of the earlier stories had had my heart pounding even though I didn't particularly like the characters. But maybe the sense of detachment was part of the point of this story. It just didn't impress me.

"Word Processor of the Gods" - This is probably one of the, if not the, most perfectly put together short stories in the book, in my opinion. However, that said, I enjoyed other stories in this book much more. But this story feels well-put-together in an oddly familiar way.

I've been a little more critical than I normally would be, just so I could point out the differences and which ones I thought were best or most fun or most memorable. I read this for fun only and I was not let down. I so wish I could read "The Mist," "The Raft," "Survivor Type," and "The Jaunt" as if they were brand new to me.
  H.Jo | Sep 30, 2013 |
Just reading The Mist for now. ( )
  Aelianna | Jun 5, 2013 |
The more Stephen King, the more I like his writing. I get the idea some people think he's a crappy bestseller along with all the rest, but hey -- sometimes you shouldn't be snobby. His stuff is easy to read and it deals with real emotions, people who could almost be real, in incredible situations. I get the feeling I've said this all before, so, um. Anyway, it's good to read his short stories. Short stories are quite condensed little things, and in King's case, that's a good thing. None of the lengthy set up he allows himself in his novels, like It and The Stand. "The Mist" is quite long and has quite a bit of set up, but a lot of the others are quite short. It was interesting seeing him do more sci-fi ish stuff, i.e. "The Jaunt". ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The Spanish Edition by Sudamericana of "Skeleton Crew" was actually split in (at least) three books... so I will review them individually, even tho I switched to the 'full' edition.

One was "[b:Historias Fantasticas|155532|Historias Fantasticas|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1253118806s/155532.jpg|1814]", of about 200ish pages, which I hated (originally rated it just one star); I can't say I liked ANY of the stories there.

The second one, "[b:La Expedicion|155570|La Expedicion|Stephen King|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172260263s/155570.jpg|1814]", which also has about 200 pages. The first story and another one inside were ok. The first one could have been far more interesting if it'd been longer, but it wasn't. It's the story that gave the name to the book.

The third book, "[b:LA Niebla/Skeleton Crew|102691|LA Niebla/Skeleton Crew|Stephen King|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nocover-60x80.jpg|1814]", was ok. The first story (The Myst) was good, the other two I didn't really care for at all.

I was going to give it three stars, but then I decided that although I liked some stories, -most- the stories in the book weren't good in my opinion, so, two stars it is. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |
Not all the short stories in thsi collection are winners, but collectively they are quite unnerving. ( )
1 vote srboone | Apr 2, 2013 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm your boogie man, that's what I am, and I'm here to do whatever I can... -- K.C. and the Sunshine Band
This book is for Arthur and Joyce Greene
Wait--just a few minutes. I want to talk to you...and then I am going to kiss you. Wait... [Introduction]
Do You Love?
Some versions may be titled The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet but it may also be a separate short story or short story collection.

Please don't combine witch "Im Morgengrauen" or "Der Gesang der Toten" or "der Fornit"! These are only a part of Skeleton Crew

Short story collection containing the following stories:

| The Mist
| Nona
| For Owen
| Survivor Type
| Uncle Otto's Truck
| Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
| Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
| Gramma
| The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
| The Reach

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451168615, Mass Market Paperback)

In the introduction to Skeleton Crew (1985), his second collection of stories, King pokes fun at his penchant for "literary elephantiasis," makes scatological jokes about his muse, confesses how much money he makes (gross and net), and tells a story about getting arrested one time when he was "suffused with the sort of towering, righteous rage that only drunk undergraduates can feel." He winds up with an invitation to a scary voyage: "Grab onto my arm now. Hold tight. We are going into a number of dark places, but I think I know the way."

And he sure does. Skeleton Crew contains a superb short novel ("The Mist") that alone is worth the price of admission, plus two forgettable poems and 20 short stories on such themes as an evil toy monkey, a human-eating water slick, a machine that avenges murder, and unnatural creatures that inhabit the thick woods near Castle Rock, Maine. The short tales range from simply enjoyable to surprisingly good.

In addition to "The Mist," the real standout is "The Reach," a beautifully subtle story about a great-grandmother who was born on a small island off the coast of Maine and has lived there her whole life. She has never been across "the Reach," the body of water between island and mainland. This is the story that King fans give to their friends who don't read horror in order to show them how literate, how charming a storyteller he can be. Don't miss it. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:39 -0400)

A collection of Stephen King's imaginative stories of terror.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,782,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible