Skeleton Crew (Signet) by Stephen King

Skeleton Crew (Signet) (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:yrizaria
Title:Skeleton Crew (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1986), Edition: 1, Paperback, 295 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (1985)

Contains the novella The Mist which is my favourite Stephen King story of all time! ( )
  Fergster73 | Jun 21, 2016 |
must change to correct edition
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
there are more "supernatural" stories in here than i normally like, but overall this is a good collection in spite of that. there are interesting connections between the stories - a few lines here or there that may or may not tie them together - and a number of references to others of his books. the story that had the biggest impression on me when i first read this ages ago (survivor type) didn't seem nearly as good to me as last time, but there were others that i quite enjoyed. even in the stories that are less psychological and more outlandish, the writing is very good, and at times scary. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Mar 3, 2016 |
Just a good compilation of short stories. As always, some are great, other not so much. Any true King fan should read these. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
"Use it, but don't abuse it."
"I will and I won't."

These quotes are from the short story "Cain Rose Up". I've been saying them, or a version of them ever since I first read this collection, way back when it came out in 1985. How can it be that long ago? Ah well, I love this book, especially as it contains my all time favorite short story of Stephen King's, "Survivor Type"! It's also nostalgic for me, as it also contains the first King short story I ever read, "Nona", from a different collection I found in an old paperback book in our family cabin in Tahoe. And it inspired my fear of wind-up monkeys. Memories...

Other quotes I love from this book:

"Good drink, good meat, good God, let's eat!" - Garrish from "Cain Rose Up"
"lady fingers they taste just like lady fingers"- "Survivor Type"
"Ohhh, Ceesco!"
"Ohhhh Pancho!" - "The Raft"
"Do you love?" - "Nona" "The Raft" and "The Reach"

If I've made any errors in documenting these quotes, blame it on the Fornit in my keyboard... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Dec 24, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm your boogie man, that's what I am, and I'm here to do whatever I can... -- K.C. and the Sunshine Band
This book is for Arthur and Joyce Greene
Wait--just a few minutes. I want to talk to you...and then I am going to kiss you. Wait... [Introduction]
This is what happened.
Do You Love?
Some versions may be titled The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet but it may also be a separate short story or short story collection.

Please don't combine witch "Im Morgengrauen" or "Der Gesang der Toten" or "der Fornit"! These are only a part of Skeleton Crew

Short story collection containing the following stories:

| The Mist
| Nona
| For Owen
| Survivor Type
| Uncle Otto's Truck
| Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
| Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
| Gramma
| The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
| The Reach

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451168615, Mass Market Paperback)

In the introduction to Skeleton Crew (1985), his second collection of stories, King pokes fun at his penchant for "literary elephantiasis," makes scatological jokes about his muse, confesses how much money he makes (gross and net), and tells a story about getting arrested one time when he was "suffused with the sort of towering, righteous rage that only drunk undergraduates can feel." He winds up with an invitation to a scary voyage: "Grab onto my arm now. Hold tight. We are going into a number of dark places, but I think I know the way."

And he sure does. Skeleton Crew contains a superb short novel ("The Mist") that alone is worth the price of admission, plus two forgettable poems and 20 short stories on such themes as an evil toy monkey, a human-eating water slick, a machine that avenges murder, and unnatural creatures that inhabit the thick woods near Castle Rock, Maine. The short tales range from simply enjoyable to surprisingly good.

In addition to "The Mist," the real standout is "The Reach," a beautifully subtle story about a great-grandmother who was born on a small island off the coast of Maine and has lived there her whole life. She has never been across "the Reach," the body of water between island and mainland. This is the story that King fans give to their friends who don't read horror in order to show them how literate, how charming a storyteller he can be. Don't miss it. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

A collection of Stephen King's imaginative stories of terror.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,262,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible