Skeleton Crew (Signet) by Stephen King

Skeleton Crew (Signet) (original 1985; edition 1986)

by Stephen King

Member:yrizaria
Title:Skeleton Crew (Signet)
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Signet (1986), Edition: 1, Paperback, 295 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, short stories

Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (1985)

review in progress:

1.The Mist -I reviewed this where it originally appeared in the anthology "Dark Forces". See my review there. (5/5)

2. Here There Be Tygers - Short and strange. There is a tiger in the boy's bathroom. Interesting but has no point. (2/5)

3. The Monkey - Great! Loved this! Typical King. Two brothers find an evil toy, it causes death and the narrator gets ridof it. Twenty years later his son finds it and he tries to get ridof it for good before anyone else dies. (5/5)

4. Cain Rose Up - Short little story where we are inside themideof acollegekid who decides to go sniper on the college campus fromhis room. Endsmid-action. (3/5)

5. Mrs.Todd's Shortcut - I vaguely remembered this one as I read it.An old caretaker relates to his friend what happened the fewmonths before a summer visitor rich woman disappeared. It has magical realism elements and is a very satisfying read.(5/5)

6. The Jaunt - A very compelling science fiction story set three thousand years in the future. While a family waits to telesport to Mars, the father relates the story of the invention of teleportation. The narrative switches fromthe father telling the story to inventor's point ofview in the past. Shock ending. (5/5)

7. The Wedding Gig - Amob story involving the Irish,Italian and Greek. The Irish "boss's" very huge sister gets married and the reception is where the Greek gets even with him. An intriguing story. (4/5)

8. Paranoid: A Chant - A poem. Didn't like it.(1/5)

9. The Raft - Fantastic horror story! Four college kids swimouttoan anchored raft at the deserted beach in October. There evil finds them. This one came back to me too. (5/5)

10. Word Processor of the Gods -This was really good! A writer who is depressed about his life receives a word processor from his nephew who just died.He finds that the "execute" and "delete" buttons make whatever he writes true.(5/5)

11. The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands - Love, love, loved this one! A group of men gather round a fireplace where one man tells a tale. This is George's turn and his tale is rivetting. (5/5)

12. Beachworld - Another excellent story! This one reminded me of classic science fiction. A ship crashes on a planet that is entirely made of sand. Two of the crew survive but one becomes hypnotized by the sand right away. Excellent creepy ending.(5/5)

13. The Reaper's Image - A creepy story of a supernatural mirror. The story slowly unwinds finally giving up the mirror's power at the end. Good! (4/5)

14. Nona - A man in jail writes about what got him in there, his murder spree and a supernatural force. Pretty good.(3/5)

15. For Owen - Another poem. Boring.(0/5)

16. Survivor Type - This is the story that I was excited to read again. It totally freaked me out the first time I read it. And it was as good as I remembered it! Really creepy (gross) story.(5/5)

17. Uncle Otto's Truck - The suspense rises from start to finish in this excelent tale with a common King theme of a malicious vehicle.(5/5)

18. Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1) - A strange little story of a milman who occassionally delivers poisoned goods. An odd ending which leaves the reader feeling creepy.(3/5)

19. Big Wheels: A Tale of The Laundry Game (Milkman #2) - Strange story that I couldn't make sense of.Related to the previous story but incomprehensible. The story is quite readable, though.(2/5)

20. Gramma - One of the best stories in this collection and probably my favourite. It's a story of fear. A boy is left alone with gramma whom he is terrified of. His fear rises and rises until something happens then the fear becomes terror and it also rises and rises until the twisted end. Very creepy! (5/5)

21. The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet -
  ElizaJane | Dec 31, 2016 |
Part of my "ripping yarns" summer reading! The Mist is great, perhaps a bit long. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Contains the novella The Mist which is my favourite Stephen King story of all time! ( )
  Fergster73 | Jun 21, 2016 |
must change to correct edition
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
there are more "supernatural" stories in here than i normally like, but overall this is a good collection in spite of that. there are interesting connections between the stories - a few lines here or there that may or may not tie them together - and a number of references to others of his books. the story that had the biggest impression on me when i first read this ages ago (survivor type) didn't seem nearly as good to me as last time, but there were others that i quite enjoyed. even in the stories that are less psychological and more outlandish, the writing is very good, and at times scary. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Mar 3, 2016 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Körber, JoachimÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tamminen, TapioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'm your boogie man, that's what I am, and I'm here to do whatever I can... -- K.C. and the Sunshine Band
This book is for Arthur and Joyce Greene
Wait--just a few minutes. I want to talk to you...and then I am going to kiss you. Wait... [Introduction]
This is what happened.
Do You Love?
Some versions may be titled The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet but it may also be a separate short story or short story collection.

Please don't combine witch "Im Morgengrauen" or "Der Gesang der Toten" or "der Fornit"! These are only a part of Skeleton Crew

Short story collection containing the following stories:

| The Mist
| Nona
| For Owen
| Survivor Type
| Uncle Otto's Truck
| Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
| Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
| Gramma
| The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
| The Reach

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451168615, Mass Market Paperback)

In the introduction to Skeleton Crew (1985), his second collection of stories, King pokes fun at his penchant for "literary elephantiasis," makes scatological jokes about his muse, confesses how much money he makes (gross and net), and tells a story about getting arrested one time when he was "suffused with the sort of towering, righteous rage that only drunk undergraduates can feel." He winds up with an invitation to a scary voyage: "Grab onto my arm now. Hold tight. We are going into a number of dark places, but I think I know the way."

And he sure does. Skeleton Crew contains a superb short novel ("The Mist") that alone is worth the price of admission, plus two forgettable poems and 20 short stories on such themes as an evil toy monkey, a human-eating water slick, a machine that avenges murder, and unnatural creatures that inhabit the thick woods near Castle Rock, Maine. The short tales range from simply enjoyable to surprisingly good.

In addition to "The Mist," the real standout is "The Reach," a beautifully subtle story about a great-grandmother who was born on a small island off the coast of Maine and has lived there her whole life. She has never been across "the Reach," the body of water between island and mainland. This is the story that King fans give to their friends who don't read horror in order to show them how literate, how charming a storyteller he can be. Don't miss it. --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

A collection of Stephen King's imaginative stories of terror.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,651,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible