The Dark River by John Twelve Hawks

The Dark River (2007)

by John Twelve Hawks

Series: The Fourth Realm (2)

Once I actually started, I finished this book in about a day. Hoping that book 3 arrives soon (via inter-library loan to Ouray Public Library). I like the second book better than the first...the story gets more interesting, fast-paced and I was completely sucked in. Upon what categories to give stars? The book was just fun, dammit. I should expound, but I'm procrastinating and deadline approaches... ( )
  bilbo13 | Jul 16, 2013 |
bargain = 1 of 29 books for $5.
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
The second book in the Fourth Realm trilogy. As so often happens in trilogies the middle book tends to be not as good as the first and hopefully the last, this was no exception. The repetition of what had gone on before was over long IMHO and overall I felt that I learnt nothing new about the main characters, in fact it rather muddied the waters somewhat. However, that said whereas the goodies in the first book were rather submissive at least in this book the at least show some aggresion and at least start to fight back which augurs well for the concluding book so here's hoping ( )
  PilgrimJess | Mar 5, 2013 |
I thought this book, which is book 2 in the trilogy, was just as good as the first book. You definitely learn more about the characters and wonder if the travelers will ever find their father. ( )
  awithyco | Jul 31, 2011 |
not as good as the first ("The Traveler") in the Fourth Realm Trilogy - obviously a "to be continued" book - but it's just my opinion ( )
  Tasker | Jan 18, 2010 |

John Twelve Hawksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my children
Snowflakes began drifting down from the darkening sky as the members of New Harmony returned to their homes for dinner.

A frantic race to save a long-lost Traveler.
An epic battle for freedom.
Two brothers whose power puts them on a collision course . . .with each other.

In The Traveler, John Twelve Hawks introduced readers to a dangerous world inspired by the modern technology that monitors our lives. Under constant surveillance of the ‘Vast Machine,’ a sophisticated computer network run by a ruthless group, society is mostly unaware of its own imprisonment. Gabriel and Michael Corrigan, brothers who were raised “off the grid,” have recently learned they are Travelers like their long-lost father— part of a centuries-old line of prophets able to journey to different realms of consciousness and enlighten the world to resist being controlled. But power affects the brothers differently. As The Traveler ends, Gabriel hesitates under the weight of responsibility. Michael seizes the opportunity—and joins the enemy.

THE DARK RIVER opens in New York City with a stunning piece of news. Gabriel’s father, who has been missing for nearly twenty years, may still be alive and trapped somewhere in Europe. Gabriel and his Harlequin protector, Maya, immediately mobilize to escape New York and find the long-lost Traveler. Simultaneously, Michael orders the Brethren—the ruthless group that has been hunting Gabriel—into a full-scale search. Gabriel yearns to find his father to protect him; Michael aims to destroy the man whose existence threatens his newfound power. The race moves from the underground tunnels of New York and London to ruins hidden beneath Rome and Berlin, to a remote region of Africa that is rumored to harbor one of history’s greatest treasures. And as the story moves toward its chilling conclusion, Maya must decide if she will trade everything to rescue Gabriel.

A mesmerizing return to the places and people so richly portrayed in The Traveler, THE DARK RIVER is propelled by edge-of-the-seat suspense and haunted by a vision of a world where both hope and freedom are about to disappear.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:14 -0400)

Narrowly escaping the imprisonment of his brother, Michael, Gabriel Corrigan, aided by his Harlequin protector Maya, discovers that his long-missing father may still be alive and trapped somewhere in Europe.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible