The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk;…

The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an… (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Richard Bachman, Stephen King (Introduction)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an Introduction, 'Why I Was Bachman')
Authors:Richard Bachman (Author)
Other authors:Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:new american library (1985), Hardcover
Tags:horror, science fiction, omnibus, 4-in-1, realistic fiction, dystopia, read2014

The Bachman Books by Stephen King (1985)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    Night Shift by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another collection of King's early fiction where the rough edges are still intact.

English (39)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (41)
Four amazing books in one collection brought to the page by a master of the written word. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Aug 8, 2016 |
it's a little strange to me that there are so many typos in this edition. they're all reprints and assuming these typos (many of them major) are in the originals, they should have been fixed here. ignoring that, we've got stories here that are, at least it seems to me, more...politically pointed than king's stories often are. eminent domain, pollution, class, and devolution of humanity (a common theme, i suppose).

these stories are novellas, and each is long enough to review in its own right.

rage: in the introduction, he says that he wrote this in high school, but revised it much later. it feels like a young, early work, and it needed more maturing. the story itself is pretty solid, but it just didn't work for me all that well, especially the ending, which is vintage stephen king, and so certainly had potential, but was just poorly done. in general, there wasn't enough depth and character background. also in the introduction, he says that the story used to be named getting it on; i wish they hadn't changed that. (1.5 - 2 stars)

the long walk: i tried not to have expectations of this, because i knew i only remembered small pieces of it, but i also remember really liking it the first (only?) time i read it. as i was going through it this time, i was thinking that it was overly long, but i actually think that it was just right. it dragged a bit, but i think that matched what was happening in the story, and it helped the reader (this reader, anyway) to get to the point that the kids get to; to see the pointlessness of it, and the inevitability. for me, it actually had to be that long or i think i would have missed some of the point. i thought he did a really nice job with this one, and kind of find it endlessly fascinating to think that we (societally) could get to this kind of place. which i think he revisits in the 4th book in this one, the running man. (4 stars)

roadwork: this is so well written. i have no idea why it took me forever to read, because it's a pretty fantastic character study on the effects of grief and subsequent spiral into insanity. (and *so* quintessential stephen king that i can't believe anyone would think richard bachman could be anyone but him, or had stolen a manuscript from him.) the last few pages were a disappointment compared to the rest, but not enough to bring it too far down for me. it also just all seemed like...such a waste, and it didn't make that much sense for bart to do what he did, but i guess since he was going crazy that i couldn't expect it to?. i really like that the title of this one refers to more than it seems to.
"His windshield wipers beat a steady back-and-forth tune, and beyond their sweep snow that had been defrosted into slush ran down the Saf-T-Glass like tears." (4.25 stars)

the running man: (i wonder how 9/11 has imprinted onto our nation's consciousness, and how that incident might affect someone's feeling about the end of this story. i remember really loving this story, along with the long walk. i think i must have been fascinated with the idea, basically, of the gladiators, and that anyone would actually watch someone fight for their life for sport. and in this story, being a part of hunting him down. it seemed like such a statement of where we're going, and soon, but also so far from what i could imagine on my own. i thought these two stories said so much about our culture and our lack of humanity, what we're willing to sacrifice and become for the sake of entertainment. i also liked the gore in each of them, at the time. now, maybe twenty years later or more, i feel ... actually largely the same. except that we've moved far technologically, and we do see these things - videos of people being killed, mauled, what-have-you. and we click, and we watch, and we forward. i remain un-understanding of it. that this story is more reality than fantasy says more than i'd like it to. (4 stars) ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jun 7, 2016 |
These four novels have nothing whatsoever to do with the supernatural, as King was using his pseudonym early on as a vehicle to write and publish fiction outside of the expectations he had created under his own name. Surprisingly, despite his other novels having monsters, ghosts, and demons, these stories have less mainstream appeal and seem more like a young author trying to be literary. And achieving it, in my opinion. All four of these books are dead serious, and delve deeply into their characters' psychological underpinnings. Before he died from "cancer of the pseudonym," as King calls it, Bachman did branch out into King territory with his next and last book, Thinner, but the early ones are in their own category. For a different take on Stephen King's writing talents, and maybe an appreciation for his diversity and ambition as an author, give The Bachman Books a read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Loved the marathon story, must change edition
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Great writing, as always, but too gruesome for my taste.
I read some King books before I read these books, but have never again picked one up after.
I honestly do not know if I should recommend these. If you liked the movie Hannibal, read them - they left me with the same feeling as that movie. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Jan 22, 2016 |
For Susan Artz and WGT [Rage]
This is for Jim Bishop and Burt Hatlen and Ted Holmes. [The Long Walk]
In memory of Charlotte Littlefield

Proverbs 31:10-28. [Roadwork]
Between 1977 and 1984 I published five novels under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman. [foreword: Why I Was Bachman]

Collection of four early books written by Stephen King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The four novels include Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man.

"Stephen King's novels written under his Bachman pseudonym. Includes 'The Long Walk,' 'Rage,' 'Roadwork,' and 'The Running Man.'"

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,246,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible