The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk;…

The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an… (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Richard Bachman (Author), Stephen King (Introduction)

Member:ElizaJane
Title:The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an Introduction, 'Why I Was Bachman')
Authors:Richard Bachman (Author)
Other authors:Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:new american library (1985), Hardcover
Tags:horror, science fiction, omnibus, 4-in-1, realistic fiction, dystopia, read2014

The Bachman Books: Four Early Novels by Stephen King (1985)

Recently added bykybunnies, Kerri2194, broselee, Ashley_Thibodeau, private library, ScoLgo, hownovel, drpeartree
    Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (Booksloth)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Night Shift by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another collection of King's early fiction where the rough edges are still intact.

English (33)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (35)
Rage - This book was exactly the right length. It had the potential to drag on too long, and I found myself fearing it would, but he ended it at exactly the right point. It had the same feel to it as "Lord Of The Flies". You could feel something bad coming from the odd anarchy happening with the characters, but until it happened you weren't quite sure what it was going to be... Brilliant. Four stars, just because it wasn't a gripping tale. It didn't captivate me like Stephen King usually does.

The Long Walk - This book was incredibly depressing, even for a Stephen King book. Like my partner pointed out, though, if you go to Stephen King you aren't looking for rainbows and butterflies. It always messes with my head a bit when Stephen King walks his characters through the town I live in but these characters walked a road I drive every single day for work, and a lot of them died on that road. Morbid, even for Stephen King. However, it captivated me, partly because of its morbidity. I couldn't put it down. There were a few obvious and annoying errors, such as using the word "anthology" instead of "analogy" (unless there is a definition for anthology I'm not aware of that is blatantly incorrect). I think I would give this story on its own three stars.

Roadwork - Fascinating story. This entire breakdown of this man's life was amazing to witness. I particularly liked the way he began to care for the young hitchhiker. She was more than a one-night stand. That was beautiful. The whole story was beautiful and tragic and amazing.

The Running Man - Honestly, after reading The Long Walk and my girlfriend talking nonstop about "Hunger Games" I was kind of tired of the reality-tv-gone-morbid plotline by the time I got to this book. The first half of it, because of that, kind of bored. The ending made it worth it though. The frantic method in which is was written perfectly portrayed the frantic thoughts of the lead character as he tried to figure out what he was going to do. Brilliant.

Overall I am giving the whole book 3 stars because it was entirely too easy for me to put this book down at points and not pick it up for days, even when in the middle of one of the plotlines. Rage is still my favorite of the four because of the psychological and socio themes behind it. Overall, great book. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I got this specifically to read Rage, as it is out of print. I'd say for an early novel it was pretty good, I am not sure of the ultimate message though. ( )
  JonathanCrites | Jul 25, 2014 |
I liked this book, 4 short stories from the early years.
Somehow they don't feel/ read as fluent as the later work I read,but still they are very impressive in describing what people can be capable of when driven into a situation or a direction. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 11, 2014 |
One of my favorites is the Long Walk. Love it! ( )
  beejay8084 | Feb 8, 2014 |
four very good stories
  merlin58 | Jan 27, 2014 |
For Susan Artz and WGT [Rage]
This is for Jim Bishop and Burt Hatlen and Ted Holmes. [The Long Walk]
In memory of Charlotte Littlefield

Proverbs 31:10-28. [Roadwork]
Between 1977 and 1984 I published five novels under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman. [foreword: Why I Was Bachman]

Collection of four early books written by Stephen King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The four novels include Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man.

"Stephen King's novels written under his Bachman pseudonym. Includes 'The Long Walk,' 'Rage,' 'Roadwork,' and 'The Running Man.'"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,335,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible