The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk;…

The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an… (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Richard Bachman, Stephen King (Introduction)

Title:The Bachman Books: Rage; the Long Walk; Roadwork; the Running Man (With an Introduction, 'Why I Was Bachman')
Authors:Richard Bachman (Author)
Other authors:Stephen King (Introduction)
Info:new american library (1985), Hardcover
Tags:horror, science fiction, omnibus, 4-in-1, realistic fiction, dystopia, read2014

The Bachman Books by Stephen King (1985)

Recently added byKristaAlyce, sherribelcher, NitaPagin, rosetucci, Schlyne, ireadkidsbooks, private library
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Othemts)
    Night Shift by Stephen King (artturnerjr)
    artturnerjr: Another collection of King's early fiction where the rough edges are still intact.
    Four Past Midnight by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (34)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (36)
The quality of these novels varies enormously. At the bottom we have Rage. This is a trunk novel and it shows. New editions of the Bachman Books don't include it. Not much of a loss. King says this is because a disturbingly high number of kids who've gunned down people in American high schools have owned a copy. I suspect that it's because it's shit!

The problem being, that there's no point to the novel. It either needs to be full length with many points or a short story with one... but there's no point at all! This is because there's no reason for him to 'get it on'. Charlie is entirely without motivation and his hostages are entirely without motivation in assaulting Ted.

At 131 pages this is hardly a chronic pain but it could all be over so much quicker if it weren't padded out with boring pointless stories told by Charlie and the others.

What a load of crap.

At the other end of the spectrum is The Long Walk.

It's set in a 1979 alternate reality where apparently the Nazi's developed nuclear power and there have been some knock on effects in American culture. You can basically ignore that though as the entire novel takes place from the point of view of Garrity who is walking along with 99 other boys. If you stop the guards shoot you. Last one walking wins a prize.

Something of a testament to King's ability that he can sustain your interest for so long while working within such narrow confines. There's none of the detailed reams of backstory that King usually uses (to the detriment or completion of the story depending on your point of view): just the boys dealing with themselves and each other.

I have to wonder about the mental state of a man who would think up an idea like this. The happy place is a dot to him. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |
Rage - This book was exactly the right length. It had the potential to drag on too long, and I found myself fearing it would, but he ended it at exactly the right point. It had the same feel to it as "Lord Of The Flies". You could feel something bad coming from the odd anarchy happening with the characters, but until it happened you weren't quite sure what it was going to be... Brilliant. Four stars, just because it wasn't a gripping tale. It didn't captivate me like Stephen King usually does.

The Long Walk - This book was incredibly depressing, even for a Stephen King book. Like my partner pointed out, though, if you go to Stephen King you aren't looking for rainbows and butterflies. It always messes with my head a bit when Stephen King walks his characters through the town I live in but these characters walked a road I drive every single day for work, and a lot of them died on that road. Morbid, even for Stephen King. However, it captivated me, partly because of its morbidity. I couldn't put it down. There were a few obvious and annoying errors, such as using the word "anthology" instead of "analogy" (unless there is a definition for anthology I'm not aware of that is blatantly incorrect). I think I would give this story on its own three stars.

Roadwork - Fascinating story. This entire breakdown of this man's life was amazing to witness. I particularly liked the way he began to care for the young hitchhiker. She was more than a one-night stand. That was beautiful. The whole story was beautiful and tragic and amazing.

The Running Man - Honestly, after reading The Long Walk and my girlfriend talking nonstop about "Hunger Games" I was kind of tired of the reality-tv-gone-morbid plotline by the time I got to this book. The first half of it, because of that, kind of bored. The ending made it worth it though. The frantic method in which is was written perfectly portrayed the frantic thoughts of the lead character as he tried to figure out what he was going to do. Brilliant.

Overall I am giving the whole book 3 stars because it was entirely too easy for me to put this book down at points and not pick it up for days, even when in the middle of one of the plotlines. Rage is still my favorite of the four because of the psychological and socio themes behind it. Overall, great book. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
I got this specifically to read Rage, as it is out of print. I'd say for an early novel it was pretty good, I am not sure of the ultimate message though. ( )
  JonathanCrites | Jul 25, 2014 |
I liked this book, 4 short stories from the early years.
Somehow they don't feel/ read as fluent as the later work I read,but still they are very impressive in describing what people can be capable of when driven into a situation or a direction. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 11, 2014 |
One of my favorites is the Long Walk. Love it! ( )
  beejay8084 | Feb 8, 2014 |
For Susan Artz and WGT [Rage]
This is for Jim Bishop and Burt Hatlen and Ted Holmes. [The Long Walk]
In memory of Charlotte Littlefield

Proverbs 31:10-28. [Roadwork]
Between 1977 and 1984 I published five novels under the pseudonym of Richard Bachman. [foreword: Why I Was Bachman]

Collection of four early books written by Stephen King under the pseudonym Richard Bachman. The four novels include Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork, and The Running Man.

"Stephen King's novels written under his Bachman pseudonym. Includes 'The Long Walk,' 'Rage,' 'Roadwork,' and 'The Running Man.'"

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,853,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible