The Burning Stone by Kate Elliot

The Burning Stone (1999)

by Kate Elliot

Series: Crown of Stars (3)

Recently added byJulieGKant, kpevjen, esther_a, private library, TuRoCards, pvreeburg

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

The Crown of Stars series is well-thought out and obviously well-planned. It's epic in scope and it's got a lot of texture. There are many complex characters who we follow in parallel, as in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Some of them are very likable, and there are some really excellent villains (e.g., Hugh). Ms. Elliott's creatures are imaginative and enjoyable, and I especially liked the way they interact with the humans. Ms. Elliott uses a lot of description and therefore her plot moves very slowly (again, similar to WOT).

The writing was inconsistent throughout the series. Sometimes it seems brilliant, but at other times I'd think "why did she tell me that?" or "this could be moving a little faster." It's often wordy. Her editor could have almost arbitrarily taken out a third of the sentences with no ill effect. Sometimes she over-explains what a character is feeling or his/her motivation when it would have been better to let the dialog or action speak for the character. Sometimes she tells me something too many times (e.g., "but his voice always sounds like that"). I wonder if the inconsistency is due to different editing processes, because it's not like that in all the books, and even some individual books are internally inconsistent. I thought the fourth book, especially, was not well edited.

The pace of these novels is so slow that I found my self bogged down in the middle of book 5 with not much desire to go on, so I decided to quit. I struggled with that decision because I really did want to find out what happened to the characters, but it was taking me too long to get there and the writing style wasn't good enough to make up for the crawling pace (unlike Wheel of Time).

Overall, these books entertained me for a while, especially the first couple of novels. The plot was interesting and the characterization was particularly notable, but it eventually got too slow. I quit in the middle of book 5.
Read more Kate Elliott book reviews at Fantasy Literature . ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This novel, the third volume in the Crown of Stars series, sees a number of changes for the characters. Alain, Listh, and Sanglant all learn new things about themselves and their pasts, as well as experiencing abrupt turns in their own fortunes. They also receive tantalizing clues about the dangers their world may be facing and their own roles in the struggle to come. A rich and rewarding read, I can't wait to start the next! ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Dec 1, 2013 |
Slower and more wordy than the first three this was definitely a "hump book". You know the book you are just trying to get through so you don't have to abandon the whole series. Sanglant lost some of his strength in this installment, hoping to see him bounce back in the next book. Alain was definitely the most exciting character for me this time. Hoping the next book will find the fire that was missing in this one. ( )
  jaidan | Sep 15, 2010 |
Kate Elliott has found her stride with this series. Each book builds on the previous one, deepening characterisations, delineating with absorbing complexity the political and magical interrelationships.

With this book she also adds further dimension by tying in the world's history, and by affording glimpses of other worlds and alien paradigms. Yet she does not lose sight of the concrete details that make her characters live and breathe.

I’m off to start book 4 … ( )
  Jawin | Aug 12, 2010 |
A great series. My only complaint is the ending of the final book. It just seemed that 7 books worth of plot and intrigue came to a very abrupt halt. I still highly recommend the series. ( )
  willowcove | Feb 19, 2009 |

Kate Elliotprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He had run this far without being caught, but he knew his Quran master still followed him.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0886778158, Mass Market Paperback)

There is nothing more tragic than legitimate ambition comprehensively thwarted. Kate Elliott's fantasy sequence has a bleak sadness even in its moments of triumph, simply because her heroes and heroines seem as if they are never going to get the chance to be all they could be. Alan, suddenly adopted heir to the local noble, is obliged to marry an anorexic princess whose hobby of heresy extends to fake stigmata; royal courier Liath and more than slightly deranged royal bastard Sanglant find that their love stands in the way of the King's dynastic plans; the prattish monk Ivar runs away from heresy proceedings and hides among a princeling's boon companions and catamites. And while the nobility juggle marriages and churchmen bicker about doctrine, invaders amass on the borders and the world seems booked for cataclysms both political and metaphysical. Elliott has not yet become as popular as she probably deserves--she has a real sense of what even an imaginary medieval world should be like in its pompous scholarship and simple piety, and her characters are interestingly fluid; place Ivar in a cavalry charge, and he does quite well. This third volume sustains the pace and grim tone of its predecessors in the Crown of Stars sequence. --Roz Kaveney, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:35 -0400)

In the epic sequel to King's Dragon and Prince of Dogs, outcast lovers Liath and Sanglant flee King Henry's camp, only to discover that they must choose between the powerful demands of politics, forbidden knowledge, and family, as the time approaches when the lands of Aoi and human will once again be united.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,883 books! | Top bar: Always visible