The American Heritage Dictionary of the…

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language (1969)

by American Heritage

2,675272,219 (4.22)2 / 35

No, I haven't read the whole thing (yet). But I've been faithfully using this dictionary since university days and I love it. The illustrations are perfect. Every time I open it I get lost within its pages for much longer than was needed to look up a particular word. I still have the college edition at home, but at work the full 3rd edition looms over me from the shelf above my desk. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
large 4to padded faux leather boards deluxe edition
  antiqueart | Dec 2, 2013 |
I swiped this from my brother's bookcase many, many moons ago in my mid high school years. :) It's my old friend that still beckons me to behold it now and then, despite my habit of opening a browser and typing 'define ____'. All the thumbnail stickers of 'AB', 'CD' have fallen off. But holding it in my hand still feels like the true authority of the English language - a much better time before the butchering done by texting, endless acronyms, and poorly invented words. A solid must have English dictionary for anyone respectful of the language.

Well, ok - it pressed a few flower petals for me too. ( )
2 vote varwenea | Jul 5, 2013 |
As an older edition, this is unlikely to be bought very widely, but I'll pass along a snippet I read in a historical review of the publication, which is that the justly-renowned "usage panel" was at a low ebb for this edition. Earlier and later editions are better for that useful feature. ( )
  Big_Bang_Gorilla | Apr 28, 2011 |

Heritage, Americanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Berube, Margery S.Editorial Directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Davies, PeterEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Morris, WilliamEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soukhanov, Anne H.Executive editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction: This fourth edition of The American Heritage Dictionary combines the best of traditional dictionary making with key innovations that afford new ways of looking at our language. - [4th Edition, 2000]
Introduction: This Dictionary of the English language is an entirely new work. - [Original, 1969, Edition]
Based on the bestselling American Heritage dictionary of the English language. Third Edition. Over 70,000 entries, thousands of new words and meanings, over 400 photographs and illustrations, expert guidance on correct usage.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395448956, Hardcover)

The third edition of the American Heritage Dictionary is a beauty--2,134 pages and 8.5 pounds--containing a lexicon of more than 200,000 entries, plus an appendix of Indo-European roots for etymology enthusiasts. The crisp white pages and sharp black print are easy on the eyes, the drawings and pictures (nearly 4,000 in all) are a delight, and along with the lucid, erudite definitions are 4,000-plus quoted illustrations of usage from the likes of Shakespeare, Melville, and Updike. Though it's the chosen reference of editors, it's more than a mere tool of the trade--it's a luxurious linguistic experience.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:24 -0400)

An illustrated English language dictionary with over 350,000 entries.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,629,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible