Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan…

Complete Sherlock Holmes (original 1930; edition 2008)

by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

7,61164447 (4.43)1 / 167
Member:Tafadhali
Title:Complete Sherlock Holmes
Authors:Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Info:Wordsworth Editions Ltd (2008), Hardcover, 1408 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:mystery, 19th century, read, favorite, fiction, read: 2010, read: 2009

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (1930)

English (63)  All (1)  All (64)
I was familiar with many Sherlock short stories when I picked this up. Unfortunately I didn't feel like this novel lived up to the Sherlock Holmes standard.

In Doyle's first foray into the world of Sherlock Holmes, there are a couple of major mistakes in the book. First and foremost, Doyle viciously attacks the Mormons here, making them the real villains (though not the villain that Holmes is after) - supposedly Holmes later apologized, but I'm not certain whether that's substantiated (being Mormon myself, I found this quite distracting, annoying, and, were I more thin-skinned, it would have been a little offensive). The second major problem with the book is that we start with Dr. Watson's narrative and then half-way through switch to a third-person narrative, though the tone of the narrative itself hardly changes. The tone works great for Watson's analysis of Holmes in action, but fell flat during the telling of the back-story.

If you're a Sherlock Holmes completist, you're obviously going to need to read this. Otherwise you may have more fun with Holmes' other adventures. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 23, 2017 |
Sherlock Holmes is naturally an interesting character to read about and the mysteries with which he becomes involved are entertaining. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is a fun collection of short adventures that any Holmes fan should read.

My only real complaint about the Sherlock Holmes stories is that they're not very realistic... I don't mean to say that I expect anything less than the fantastically bizarre cases Holmes takes on, that's fine. What I mean is that the people in need of Holmes' help don't act like normal people at all. Each of them show up at the famous 221B Baker Street address, tell Holmes they need help, and then proceed to divulge all possible details in the case in such a way that makes the case often instantly solved by the detective. As you're reading, if the character ever says 'I hardly dare to mention this because it seems so trivial', you know you're looking at the key to cracking the case. In reality, people would never mention what they consider trivial. The repetition of this got a bit annoying towards the end of the collection and made me wish that the great Sherlock Holmes had to do a bit more digging to get the details he needed.

Despite the extremely formulaic layout of each story, I still recommend that people sit down and read Holmes' adventures. They're fun, short, and sometimes quite interesting. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 23, 2017 |
More like a 4.5 stars.
I really like the stories, but in some points I'm too modern for them. The conviction that the looks of people and their features say something about their character is foreign to me and somehow weird.
  KalessinAstarno | Nov 4, 2016 |
This is the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes, with a sympathetic introduction by Christopher Morley and without some of the sillier notes in some other editions. It is Holmes, all Homes, and nothing but Holmes. When I was young, my mother won a mystery quiz competition run by the Toledo (Ohio) Blade newspaper for which the prize was one mystery book. My brother and I asked her to request this, and she did. Before this, I had had a book with a selection of Holmes stories, and I may have seen a few others elsewhere,but I had not had access to the entire set. For many years, this was the Holmes volume for our family. ( )
  antiquary | Oct 28, 2016 |
These COULD have been interesting stories if only Doyle did his research and didn't include milk-drinking snakes and other stupid things like that in these stories... ( )
  AlienIndie | May 20, 2016 |

Doyle, Arthur Conanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Freeman, KyleIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Contains

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Sign Of The Four by Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red-Headed League [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

A Case of Identity [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Boscombe Valley Mystery (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Case of the Five Orange Pips by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Speckled Band (Travelman Crime) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Engineer's Thumb (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Copper Beeches by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Man with the Twisted Lip: Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Silver Blaze by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Yellow Face by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Stockbroker's Clerk (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #3) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Gloria Scott by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes - The Musgrave Ritual by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Reigate Squire (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #6) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Cardboard Box by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Crooked Man (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #7) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Resident Patient (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #8) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #9) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Naval Treaty by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Final Problem: Another Case for Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

I cinque misteri di Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual (indirect)

The Return of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of the Abbey Grange by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist (Creative Short Stories) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Empty House by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Norwood Builder by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Stories from the Return of Sherlock Holmes the Adventure of the Dancing Men by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Priory School by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Black Peter by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Six Napoleons by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Three Students by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Missing Three-Quarter by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Second Stain by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

His Last Bow by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans [Short Story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Red Circle by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Devil's Foot by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

His Last Bow (single story) by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Dying Detective by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Case-book of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Problem of Thor Bridge by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Creeping Man by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire [short story] by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Three Garridebs by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Illustrious Client [short story] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes: The Adventure of Three Gables by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Sherlock Holmes and the Blanched Soldier by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Lion's Mane by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Retired Colourman by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of the Veiled Lodger by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

The Adventure of Shoscombe Old Place by Arthur Conan Doyle (indirect)

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the Army.
"Complete" editions contain 4 Novels and 56 Short Stories in one or more volumes.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes,
The Return of Sherlock Holmes,
His Last Bow,
A Study in Scarlet,
The Sign of the Four.

NOTE: This edition has a linked "Table of Contents" and has been beautifully formatted (searchable and interlinked) to work on your Amazon e-book reader.

This edition contains all of the "Sherlock Holmes" stories (4 novels and 56 short stories) by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. The contents are:

Including the novels:

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
The Return of Sherlock Holmes
His Last Bow
The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553328255, Mass Market Paperback)

Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1; Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 2. 2 Vols.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:05 -0400)

"Pierwsze polskie wydanie zawierajace wszystkie opowiadania i nowele o detektywie wszech czasow, m. in. : Przygody Sherlocka Holmesa (1892), Powrot Sherlocka Holmesa (1905) i Ksiega przypadkow Sherlocka Holmesa (1927)."--- publisher.

Legacy Library: Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy profile.

See Arthur Conan Doyle's author page.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141040289, 0143068601

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,761,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible